Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kenson

One Year Ago Today

Rate this Entry
One year ago today I had my gastric sleeve surgery. Once I made up my mind to have the surgery, I did not let anyone or anything try to change my mind. My cousin, who had the surgery the previous August, came from CT, and drove me to the hospital. She stayed with me the entire time and has been my biggest supporter and cheerleader. As I type this, I cannot believe how much my life has changed. My starting weight was 240 pounds. I was becoming a recluse. I didn’t want to be around my friends, I didn’t want to go away on summer vacations, I hated shopping because I had to get everything so big!

The turning point for me was when my husband mentioned that he wanted to visit family in England. I started thinking up a million excuses as to why I wasn’t going to go. A few weeks later, a friend called and asked about us doing a trip through Europe for the summer. What?!! There was no way! Through a series of events, two people close to me told me that they had gastric sleeve surgery. I did some research and by the time I went to the seminar, my mind was already made up. By far having this surgery is the best thing that I have done for myself in my life. Everything in my life has changed. I am no longer a recluse.

As of yesterday morning, I hit my goal of 155 pounds. I’ve gone from an 18W to a size 10. I now love to go shopping, I have become more active and social with my friends. My weight was not only holding me down physically, it was holding me down mentally, and that scared me more than anything! My trouble with weight loss in part is because of my thyroid and metabolism problems. I thought that the sleeve would not work for me, but my wonderful surgeon assured me that the sleeve was in fact perfect for someone with metabolism problems.

If you are on the fence about this surgery, don’t be. Take a chance and believe that your life can be exactly what you want it to be. When I decided to have this surgery, I said to myself that I would do whatever my surgeon and his team told me to do. Attitude is everything. I am so grateful to my surgeon, and to this website and all of the wonderful people who supported me and encouraged me during my journey. Don’t compare yourself to others. Enjoy the journey, don’t try to rush it. Please believe that you can do it, because you absolutely can!
The first image is the day of surgery
The second image was taken this morning.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kathy1.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	23218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kathy2.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	23219

Submit "One Year Ago Today" to Digg Submit "One Year Ago Today" to del.icio.us Submit "One Year Ago Today" to StumbleUpon Submit "One Year Ago Today" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great post. So glad you have been successful. My journey starts on 01/30. I, too, have thoughts that it will not work for me because lap band did not, but I am determined to keep a positive attitude. My story is very similar to yours in that I do not participate in life the way that I would like to. I only have a few more years left until my children are off to college and I don't want to waste anymore valuable time (with tears running down my face).

Congratulations to you again.
    Congratulations.

This was a very inspiring post.

Tell us the truth, the before picture was taken as a reflection from one of those funhouse mirrors, right? You look like 2 different people. Great job.
    Outstanding!!!!!
    kenson, you have so much to celebrate! You look like a new person, and I can only imagine how you feel emotionally about the change. You've been so diligent and it shows! A role model for sure Continued Success!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa
    Congratulations.

This was a very inspiring post.

Tell us the truth, the before picture was taken as a reflection from one of those funhouse mirrors, right? You look like 2 different people. Great job.
    LOL, I wish I could lie, but nope, that was definitely me!
    Quote Originally Posted by medmom
    Great post. So glad you have been successful. My journey starts on 01/30. I, too, have thoughts that it will not work for me because lap band did not, but I am determined to keep a positive attitude. My story is very similar to yours in that I do not participate in life the way that I would like to. I only have a few more years left until my children are off to college and I don't want to waste anymore valuable time (with tears running down my face).

Congratulations to you again.
    Medmom, you can do it. You are motivated, and that's the best incentive there is. I have been there with the tears of unhappiness. This time next year, I will be cheering with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl
    kenson, you have so much to celebrate! You look like a new person, and I can only imagine how you feel emotionally about the change. You've been so diligent and it shows! A role model for sure Continued Success!!
    jerzey, you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for your kind words!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockscott40
    Outstanding!!!!!
    Thank you!
    Awesome!
    thanks so much for sharing! very inspiring! awesome job!
    congratulations to you. You look marvelous, that big smile on your face tells me so.
    Thanks for all the support you've given me too Kenson! So happy about your success. We're all winners!
    Congrats! You have done great!
    You are an inspiration. Great job.
    I am celebrating your success with you!!! I am so proud of you!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Thank you for being a positive influence around the community!!!
    You go girlie!!!! Awesome Awesome Awesome!
    You look Maaahvalous!!
    You have truly been a great encourager!!! (yep that's what i said ). It has been cool sharing this journey with each other.
    Way to go! I agree that this has been the best thing I have ever done for myself! To all those on the fence, just do it!! You will love the new you!!
    I REMEMBER YOU...YOU LOOK GREAT..CONGRATS
    Congrats! You look great!!
    Yay for you!!! You have been an inspiration for me over this past year!!! Congratulations - you were consistent with a positive attitude and determination!