Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

FeliciaB

4 days post-op and feeling a little lost.

Rate this Entry
Hey everyone,
Hope you have enjoyed the holidays and that your journey is doing great. I'm four days post-op and it feels nice to be on the sleeved side, because I know there is now a light at the end of this tunnel. Although, I'm feeling a little lost when it comes to how much broth I'm supposed to be eating. When this all started I felt ibknew what to do, but now I am lost. I had about 2 oz of broth this afternoon, and I have been drinking on the same bottle of water all day, hard to get more in due to still being gasy. I surprisingly don't feel hungry, but I don't want to be malnurished, so I was wondering how much broth do you eat, and what did your meal plan look like during your liquid stage?

Thank you for everything, I don't know what I would do without you guy's and gal's.

Submit "4 days post-op and feeling a little lost." to Digg Submit "4 days post-op and feeling a little lost." to del.icio.us Submit "4 days post-op and feeling a little lost." to StumbleUpon Submit "4 days post-op and feeling a little lost." to Google

Comments

Eat as much broth as you want, as you can; your body needs the fluids and nourishment. I remember someone else saying she had sipped her water through a straw since right after surgery, and that was the only way she managed to get enough water in. Have you tried a straw? It's going to be slow going for a few days, though. Swallowing is not really the most pleasant sensation for a little while; it'll get better soon,though.

During my liquid stage I guess I was just sipping on water off and on during the day. Eating a jello or popsicle from time to time. Slurping chicken or beef broth. Tea. Coffee. Apple juice. Constantly trying to get a little something in. And now that I'm 3.5 months post-op, putting something in my mouth constantly is something I'm having to work on NOT doing. Because now I can overeat too much of the wrong things.

Good luck. On day 4 I was allowed to start protein shakes. I hope it'll work out well for you when you start those.
    If/when you drink any shakes or juices, don't forget you can dilute these with water if need be. At 4 days post op, I was diluting my broth too. I didn't want my food (If you could call it that) to be too rich. If you have non-flavored protein powder, you can dislove it in water & add it to whatever. I remember feeling a little lost too & a little fearful. Good luck. You'll be fine.
    Hi FeliciaB,
    I'm pretty close to where you are--I'm 11days out. Getting down as much liquid as my doc suggested (48-64 oz daily) has been a challenge. I set alarms on my phone to remind me to drink my shakes and broth, and I sip water all day long. It's especially tough the first few days but it gets easier. Keep at it!
    I learned as much as I could and I am still not complete aware of what is the right amount of anything. But, that sounds about right to me. Your sleeve is still swollen. My Doc said don't force it. You will be able to as time goes on. Just work at it. I think you are doing great to get that much in. I don't think I did 4 days out. I remember it taking all my concentration to eat anything. I did not even get up off the couch and take a shower except for cleaning my incisions until the 4 days out maybe a little bird bath. I sipped a few things and went back to bed. But what was a true saying that I read here, was that you feel a little better everyday. Keep up the good work it will all fall in place soon.
    Thank you all again. Yes, it gets a little better everyday. As soon as the gallbladder incision stops hurting I will be able to move around more, so looking forward to that. I seem to be able to get ice down more than anything, maybe I will just suck on ice all day lol. I will try the straw as well .