Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nursesydney17

Protein from food

Rate this Entry
I am two and a half weeks out from my surgery date. I've lost 32 pounds and daily chores are getting easier and easier. I still get a bit exhausted from being out too long and grocery bags feel a bit heavier than before! The past couple of days I have been attempting to drink protein shakes but I get nauseous and end up throwing up after a few sips. I feel like I wasted money on my protein powder because I don't see myself using it in the future, I am able to get a decent amount of protein from food. I feel like I am constantly eating but today I ate 56g of protein from my food so I'm VERY happy with that.

Has anyone else decided to focus of protein from food and not protein shakes?

Submit "Protein from food" to Digg Submit "Protein from food" to del.icio.us Submit "Protein from food" to StumbleUpon Submit "Protein from food" to Google

Tags: food, protein, shakes Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

i try to get most my protein from food but i drink the shake for that extra protein cause i am having problems with my hair falling out even though i am getting enough protein and i am only two months post op i have read over and over hair loss happens and we cant stop it but my nurse told me that if i can get 60 plus grams of protein in with food i would not need the shake and she knows of several people who have done that cause they dont like the shakes
    Yes, definitely -- getting all our nutrition (including protein) from regular protein is almost everyone's goal. I still drink a protein drink 3-4 mornings a week. But that's the only non-regular-food source of protein I am now getting.

Interestingly, the longer I'm out post-op, the more protein I find I'm eating. Yesterday, I had 91 grams of protein. This is sort of surprising to me. (For what it's worth.)
    I hear ya! I got so nauseated from the "Premier" protein drink, I can't even look at the carton without throwing up in my mouth! Seriously! Definitely getting your protein from food is better than drinking your protein.
    I used to drink one Carnation Instant Breakfast 2X Protein a day. I've begun drinking two daily to get more liquids in. I use powdered milk and add extra water. I don't care for plain water. So I cut back on food a little to allow for the extra drink. I also cut a Premier Protein bar in half and eat at different times. I know there will come a time that I might stop eating these convenience foods and eat regular, but there's no rush and I enjoy them.
    My prescription was for 75g per day. Even at a year and 1/2 out, I'm probably not gonna make that goal without supplements, (unless I want to live on chicken breast and nothing else, lol), so I supplement in order to maintain variety in my diet and still get what I need. That said... "shakes", ummm, no. I toss a scoop of chocolate or vanilla whey in my coffee every morning for a protein enriched "latte". I actually miss the whey if I decide to go for a second cup some days! In the afternoon, I usually do a frozen PowerCrunch "cookie" for an additional 15ish grams and a chocolate fix. I'd miss these "treats" if I gave them up!
    Yes lots of people do. Best suggestion, double up add plain protein powders to your foods. You can sell protein drinks and powders online, even if there opened.