Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

wydols

Questions

Rate this Entry
My surgery was October 15 so I'm almost 6 weeks out. I have had an extremely problem free surgery and recovery. Was back to work on Monday following my surgery on Wednesday. Absolutely no pain. My only issue is eating. Have a few questions/comments and looking for some suggestions:

1. I wake up dehydrated EVERY day no matter how much water I drink the day before but on the upside I am now able to "gulp" my water and actually get a larger amount in so I do think this will start to change and stop happening.

2. I have never been a breakfast eater and I force myself to try and eat something but I have to literally gag down a scrambled egg and barely get it down. I may try and go back to the protein shakes for a while for breakfast.

3. I can do a little better with lunch and dinner but not a lot. I do try and find very flavorful foods that appeal to me so I can have a better chance of getting what I need. I did find (and don't panic on this because I also informed my doctor of it lol) that if I have a cocktail before dinner (it must relax my stomach) I can tolerate my food better. I told her I know it's wasted calories but I need the nutrients from the food which she laughed at because if it works then it works. I don't drink everyday so this obviously doesn't work all the time and I definitely don't want to start drinking daily. She seemed to think it will get better that my stomach is still swollen from the surgery but when that goes down it will eliminate some of the problem if not all.

4. I make sure I get my protein in with New Whey Liquid Protein if I know I need more.

5. Vitamins is another problem I can't stand chewables so I will be trying Flintstones as soon as I get to the store for them. I tolerate full pills so that shouldn't be an ongoing issue.

I don't get on the scale daily because I know the weight will come off eventually and the sleeve is not in control of my life but I have a few of the above hurdles to overcome before I'm back in control of it lol. Thanks for listening and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Submit "Questions" to Digg Submit "Questions" to del.icio.us Submit "Questions" to StumbleUpon Submit "Questions" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just curious why you think you wake up every morning dehydrated? How much liquid are you drinking daily? Be careful gulping water, I still can't do that with discomfort, so I wouldn't do that if I were you. I can drink about 20 ounces of water in 15 minutes, anything more than that and I feel discomfort. I'm sure everyone is different though.

I honestly haven't been eating a breakfast in the morning either, I don't think that is the end of the world. Grab a protein bar or something like that if you need to.

I do the Flintstones chewables, they aren't that bad. You do what you have to do, even when it's kind of gross. That is life after the sleeve.

It sounds like you are doing pretty good though, so just keep working your plan. I would tell you to be very careful with alcohol, many people start abusing that after surgery. They replace a food addiction with an alcohol addiction.

Good luck and be patient.
    Waking up I have darker urine which is the number one sign and what I would call cotton mouth or to the like (not due to alcohol lol). I can drink a cup of water at a time now without discomfort compared to just a couple of ounces (don't think I could be near what you do in 15 minutes though) so that is helping. I've never been good at taking pills and that is part of the reason I chose to do the sleeve to hopefully eliminate the need for any but a vitamin a day is not a problem and I will be able to tolerate swallowing one. As for alcohol I agree with you on developing an addiction but I'm not really concerned about that because my intake is very limited far less than even before the sleeve which wasn't much lol. The luxury of the sleeve you can't eat OR drink much at a time
    Hey you should try the Centrum multi-vitamin grape chews. They are really good, you can take them on an empty stomach. I spread them out through out the day.
    You never said how much you were drinking. Dark urine can be for other reasons as well, like vitamins, but you are probably right about being dehydrated, it's easy to do after surgery. I drink between 40 and 80 ounces a day. Try to get there if you are not already doing that. I think 64 is the recommendation.
    I get at least 50 ounces but usually the 64 recommended and even sleep with water and my bedside and drink some on average twice per night. I'll be glad when I'm not waking up thirsty in the middle of the night lol. I found some Gummy women's vitamins today at lunch. Got a bottle for my office and for home. Figured those will work until my next appointment with bloodwork in January.

All in All I love my sleeve but definitely looking forward to being able to eat without discomfort everytime. I guess I won't worry so much about breakfast if I can get my nutrients in otherwise. On a plus note I was able to eat 2 taquitos at lunch today, took me about 30 minutes but did it . And the discomfort only lasted about 15 minutes then it settled down.
    1. I wake up dehydrated EVERY day no matter how much water I drink the day before but on the upside I am now able to "gulp" my water and actually get a larger amount in so I do think this will start to change and stop happening.

Try having a glass or two within the hour before bed. Also find a water bottle you like, I find when I am bored I will sip on teas and water more if I have a fun bottle/mug. Wouldn't advise on the gulping, take her slow still as I personally have gotten horrible gas pains from gulping water too quickly.

2. I have never been a breakfast eater and I force myself to try and eat something but I have to literally gag down a scrambled egg and barely get it down. I may try and go back to the protein shakes for a while for breakfast.

I haven't done eggs for breakfast in a while, just cause they dont sit very well with my new pouch. Try cooking porridge using quick oats and skim milk? Or have left overs for breakfast? Fish? Chicken? (obviously once fully healed) I find this helps me.

3. I can do a little better with lunch and dinner but not a lot. I do try and find very flavorful foods that appeal to me so I can have a better chance of getting what I need. I did find (and don't panic on this because I also informed my doctor of it lol) that if I have a cocktail before dinner (it must relax my stomach) I can tolerate my food better. I told her I know it's wasted calories but I need the nutrients from the food which she laughed at because if it works then it works. I don't drink everyday so this obviously doesn't work all the time and I definitely don't want to start drinking daily. She seemed to think it will get better that my stomach is still swollen from the surgery but when that goes down it will eliminate some of the problem if not all.

Power to you! But remember alcohol will dehydrate too! It took me a good three months before my stomach felt truly perfect. I had a lot of problems with swelling. For more flavor: Try marinating soft fish? (if you like seafood) I use low sodium soya sauce, mustard and a table spood of brown sugar and let salmon or other fish marinate for 15 minutes to and hour. I personally have always been able to tolerate seafood with my pouch than other meats.

4. I make sure I get my protein in with New Whey Liquid Protein if I know I need more.

Try journalling it all? protein, fat, water etc. that way you can see what you can work on?

5. Vitamins is another problem I can't stand chewables so I will be trying Flintstones as soon as I get to the store for them. I tolerate full pills so that shouldn't be an ongoing issue.

If you are female (sorry i havent totally figured this site out yet). Try a swallowable prenatal vitamin. They absorb better into the stomach and usually are easy to swallow. If you can't swallow them very well crush them and mix in yogurt or applesauce? Calcium is also a must (from what my dietician says) I get a liquid form from costco and I can add it to smoothies or shakes. However its easy to swallow on its own.

I don't get on the scale daily because I know the weight will come off eventually and the sleeve is not in control of my life but I have a few of the above hurdles to overcome before I'm back in control of it lol. Thanks for listening and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Maybe try weighing every sunday in the morning. That way you have a good place to plot from!
    When I just want something to eat in the morning I eat special K cereal with protein with milk and a small bowl fills me up for a while. Then I can decide what I want when I am ready for something else.
    Your doing great, here's some things that worked for me, Gatoraide2 helps add it too ur water, watch your sodium, I've been craving green olives . I start a morning with a shake or nibble on some cheese , or a Cottage cheese w/fruit(knudsens) Protein first, Whey Protein shots(42)grams taste awful but I learned to think my body needs it and then chase it with something sweet,and chewable or gummy vitamens, are my favs, and pick a day to weigh I choose Mondays, and remember inches are good too, some weeks i'll be stalled but cloths are looser , hope this helps ,Good Luck....