Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Kafman

Finally ready to share my story.

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by 4my2boys View Post
Please don't attack or send hate mail as this was MY experience: Even though you think you might be prepared for anything, make sure you prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Dr. Almanza was my surgeon. Also, if at all possible, learn spanish, it will help with the nurses at the hospital. I thought I was prepared for my surgery, and was so excited to start my new life, however, I had complications. The first day when you go to get pre-op, I was told it was easier to put the I.V. in at that time. The nurse wasn't very good at it and left the I.V. in a small vein, which I could tell at that time was not going to last. The day of surgery: as I have a bleeding disorder, I needed to take my medicine 2 hours before surgery, well after waiting 4 hours, I was given 10 minutes before I was told I would be going first, took more medicine and hoped it would work. When they walked me down to surgery, the orderly had to wake up and get off the bed I needed to get on, and no he didn't change the sheet! The anesthesiologist didn't count down or anything, one second I was awake, next thing I know I wake up and the nurses are making me get off the surgery table, and walk, yes walk to a wheelchair. I had severe pain right away and as the nurse gave me a shot in I.V. I asked what it was and was told it was Toradol, for many of you that have ever been to the E.R. for a strained muscle, back ache, etc., this is what you may get, it is NOT used for severe pain in the U.S. Anyway, the shot was burning so bad in my hand and I knew the I.V. was about to blow. I will fast forward about 8 hrs, after everyone was gone, except for 2 nurses (1 with limited English, the other no English) they were trying yet again to start a new I.V. this was in between me having constant vomiting of blood, and I just had no veins left. I kept telling them to call the anesthesiologist so he could start a "pic" line or a deep vein line, I was told they were not allowed to contact the docs. After, both trying over 10 times, they said the patient next to me was a nurse and therefore "woke her up", now remember, this is a PATIENT that just had the same surgery I did, and literally helped her stand up to try to get an I.V. started on me, the very sweet patient tried her best and went very deep, she tried 3 times and finally told the nurses she just couldn't see and was to out of it. By this time, I was in so much pain and so dehydrated I was going in and out of consciousness. I really thought I was not going to make it. I finally told the nurses to go across the hall and get a neonatal nurse as they are use to starting I.V.'s on tiny veins, each of the 2 nurses that came, tried 2 times each and finally the last nurse on her last try, got a very very tiny vein, and as long as everything was pushed super slow it worked. I was up and walking the entire night as I was in to much pain to sleep. I called home and was going to return to the U.S. the next morning, however once I got back to the hotel, and had the most wonderful nurse in the world, I stayed. I ended up coming home with 3 severely infected incisions, severe dehydration, severe vomiting and severe pain. 2 weeks on pain pills, 4 weeks on antibiotics, and anti-nausea pills that I still have to use. I am 6 weeks out, have to take liquid vitamins daily as my body was eating itself to death as I had no iron, no vitamins and no minerals whatsoever in my body. Yes, I have lost some weight, but spend each day trying to force food down or I don't lose a pound. I have already had 3 stalls that last a week or more. I know the sleeve is what I chose and I am still out on if I would refer someone or not. I hope I will change my mind in just a couple more weeks. Good luck all, just be prepared that all might not go as planned.

I am not bashing, has anyone else had issues with this guy?

Submit "Finally ready to share my story." to Digg Submit "Finally ready to share my story." to del.icio.us Submit "Finally ready to share my story." to StumbleUpon Submit "Finally ready to share my story." to Google

Comments

Sounds like a nightmare. Hope you get better soon.
    You poor thing! I pray for all to heal quickly for you and find a smoother path. Make sure that you find a great doctor (looks like you are from Georgia) in your area to help you on your path.
    Sorry for your experience, but its done and over. You got the tool (sleeve) the next chapter will be easier I hope...I had a Dr in The States, no problems at all.Good Luck
    I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience. I had my surgery in The States, also, and so far I've done well. I hope things change for you starting right now. I hope that your body heals itself and you feel good so that you can accomplish what you set out to do--become as healthy as possible. Wishing you all the best.
    I am sorry you had a bad experience! I had Dr Almanza and had the best experience ever.....It is not where you have the operations in the state or somewhere else that is stupid hate when they think it is because you went elsewhere...it could of happened anywhere...but you will get better it has been 1 1/2 and feeling great....you will too!
    So sorry for your experiences. Hope once you heal it will all be worth it to you. Good Luck and God Bless...Mem
    So sorry you had a bad experience! Hopefully things turn around for you soon! Prayers & hugs for you!
    Other doctors call Almanza a butcher. If you google him, you will know exactly what there talking about.