Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

amandajane

Still "Overweight"

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone! Well- I'm a little over 7 months out and things have really slowed down in the WL department, but I'm certainly not complaining. I'm losing about 3-4 lbs per month now and I can be up or down a lb at any point from one week to the next. But, I'm still plugging away with about 16 more lbs to lose until I reach my personal goal. I eat like a normal person, have my treats when I want them and am loving life.

OK- so now lets get to the thing that's ticking me off today- the BMI chart. Who the H*LL invented the BMI chart and WHO/WHAT did they use to base these numbers on? I've lost 74 lbs and I'm still considered "overweight". If I lose 16 more pounds to hit my personal goal (which I will), I will STILL BE OVERWEIGHT according to that stupid chart. SAYS WHO? People look at me now and tell me I don't need to lose more and my Dr. is telling me they are good with another 11 lbs. Yet no matter which number I hit, that stupid chart will be taunting me with the flashing sign that says "overweight"! I'm sorry, but you can't put everyone into a stupid little box and expect that one size fits all. If a bodybuilder puts in his/her height and weight in the BMI calculator, it will say they are overweight (which would clearly be incorrect). The chart is only looking at height vs weight- nothing else. So, to the BMI chart I say "screw you". I write down my BMI every week when I weigh myself and I realized today that "overweight" is probably where I'm always going to land. So, I guess I'm going to have to accept that. At 5'9 and a decent size frame, 135 lbs isn't a good look- trust me. So- to all of us who will still be landing in the "overweight" category when we're done- insert whatever curse words you need to and move on. Stupid charts!

Submit "Still "Overweight"" to Digg Submit "Still "Overweight"" to del.icio.us Submit "Still "Overweight"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Still "Overweight"" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I totally agree! I'm only 5'4" and my ideal weight is 125 lbs. Once upon a time due to Crohns flare ups I got down to 145 lbs. I looked so small and sickly. 160 looks good on me and thats where I want to do be even if it means I'd still be overweight according to that damn BMI chart! Keep up the good work and by the way you look great!
    Well, since you asked ... "Devised between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics" ...."

At Body mass index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say, fuhgeddaboudit!

Congratulations on your wonderful progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Well, since you asked ... "Devised between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics" ...."

At Body mass index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say, fuhgeddaboudit!

Congratulations on your wonderful progress.
    hahaha! Love it! Good thing that guy is dead cuz I'd probably kill him myself if he wasn't! LOL!
    I say Know what they recommend , and choose ur Own Nunber, Your a beautiful healthy lady ,I say what ann says lol ... Im 5 7' and they recommend 135-140 .I'm CHOOSING 160. everyone LOVES A LITTLE MEAT ON THE BONE......MORE CUSHIN TO THE _ _ _ _ _ _ ... THIS IS A PG FORUM ...LOL
    The BMI chart is definitely flawed. It labels people the same regardless if that weight is mostly fat or muscle. I think for my goal I'm still technically in the "overweight" category or at least not in the "ideal" range and I still think it's a bit small even though I'm 5'2. But we'll see.

At any rate, you're doing great. Don't let outdated science ruin your fun.
    Go with what feels right with YOU. No charts, no doctors, just YOU. You are the only person living in your body.

I'm 5'3", and stopped when I was at the top of regular weight according to the charts, 140. Feels really good for me. I have been here since July. I weigh myself every day, and am happy to be maintaining.
    I am 5'10" and my goal is 18. but I m happy where I am at now!
    Agree, it doesn't work for everyone, (particularly male body builders) but at 5'9" you can go up to 165 pounds and still fall in the healthy range with a BMI of 24. You mention 135 pounds. That does seem low for a 5'9" female. I'm 3 inches shorter and that's the lowest I'll allow myself to go, which would put my BMI around 21, right in the middle of "healthy".
    I was joking about the 135, but I did mention 165 to my PCP and she looked at me sideways and basically said "no"- it's too low. My surgeon threw out 180- which is just a number they took based upon percentage of WL and how they determine "success" with the sleeve. I told my PCP 165 and she told me 175. So I'm going for 175. Once I get there, we'll see how I feel. But it just sucks to get that far and still see "overweight" on the BMI chart. Honestly- somebody should burn those things! :-)
    I would take and have, the "overweight" over the print out of MORBIDLY OBESE!! At 5' 10" and 340 pounds, morbidly obese is what I was....BMI 49 and since my WL that is down to 33.3 still overweight, but soooooo much better.