Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Pleasantly-Unplumping

Two Weeks Post-Op!

Rate this Entry
Sorry I'm a bit late on the update.

I'm doing fine. Our stitches were taken out on day 11, last Saturday. Whew! Finished our antibiotics. I've had a couple of the incisions open so the scars will be worse for me. Oh well, right? I almost forgot, make sure you buy the paper tape, or tape for frequent bandage changes ! We didn't and I have sores all around my incisions as a result. They are more painful than the incision sites as well. Wish I'd known when I sent my daughter to the pharmacy.

Fluids are going down a lot easier and are less pain in the esophagus area, as long as I remember to take it slow and just little bits at a time. Same as with cream soups we've been having. We blend the cream of chicken, mushroom, and chicken soups no problem. I've been adding homemade chicken broth to the soups. Very tasty. This week we've added in scrambled eggs and blended up beef stew. I have had to start taking my blood pressure meds again, still very high considering I'm on the meds. Will continue to monitor.

Husband feels good as well, we have to be very diligent on the protein intake daily to avoid fatigue that he has been battling mostly. 60 - 80 grams is the recommended and I'm fine energy wise with 60 g, but it's just not enough for him. He has been off the blood pressure meds since surgery which is great news for him. Drainage from his middle incision has final stopped. I think he had a minor infection around where they took the drain out.

Tip: for those who still have to cook for a family, I marinated overnight a whole chicken in a bottle of mojo marinade. I put it in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and at the end of the day made a gravy with some of the broth for the family and used the rest of the broth for my canned soups. You could also blend up the veggies with broth and have it on your week 2 or 3.

Overall we are feeling much better, and looking forward to trying whole foods next week.

Submit "Two Weeks Post-Op!" to Digg Submit "Two Weeks Post-Op!" to del.icio.us Submit "Two Weeks Post-Op!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Two Weeks Post-Op!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow it sounds like you are progressing very quickly. I've been reviewing a lot of post-op diets. My doctor hasn't given me mine yet, so I don't know what he recommends. Most of the post-op diets recommended starting whole foods several weeks out. I would like to check back with you to see how you handle whole foods on the 3rd week. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rn2bgin
    Wow it sounds like you are progressing very quickly. I've been reviewing a lot of post-op diets. My doctor hasn't given me mine yet, so I don't know what he recommends. Most of the post-op diets recommended starting whole foods several weeks out. I would like to check back with you to see how you handle whole foods on the 3rd week. Good luck!
    Hi Rn2bgin!

I apologize for not replying sooner, but I didn't notice I had received your message! We are now 10 weeks post-op and doing much better. We still have issues with adjusting. We've also stalled, it seems. I'm sure it's due to the holidays and being able to tolerate so much more now, including carbs. Our issues are still with how much of certain foods we can eat. Such as salmon, always seems to get stuck. Maybe it's denser than say soups and protein shakes etc.

Otherwise, we are doing well. Thanks!