Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Znzmom13

Any C-Pap wearers out there?

Rate this Entry
Just found out that I have moderate apnea. I am scheduled for a second sleep study- this will allow me to try the machine on while sleeping through the night. It all feels weird. My question is: has anyone had to start this journey with c-pap machines, but then able to get off of the machines after a significant amount of weight loss? Thanks for your time, Christina

Submit "Any C-Pap wearers out there?" to Digg Submit "Any C-Pap wearers out there?" to del.icio.us Submit "Any C-Pap wearers out there?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Any C-Pap wearers out there?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I snore a significant amount less now that I lost weight.
    Hopefully when I lose some more weight I will no longer need a CPAP machine.
    Funny to see this post today. I have a follow-up appointment where I will be breaking up with my Pulmonologist in a few hours from now. In August 2013, I was diagnosed with very severe obstructed sleep apnea with a sleep index of 123! A sleep index of 5 qualifies as having sleep apnea and an index of 70 is severe.

Prior to surgery you couldn't get me to part with out my CPAP machine. I haven't used it as the weight has come off and my health conditions (detailed in my bio) have improved. I will be turning it in today.
    I will have to give you a rain check on this one. I have been on CPAP for 15 years. I am covinced it saved my life. I amnot sure if I can not sleep without it now even if its not required.
    I had a cpap prior to surgery that I could not sleep without...or at the very least I would have a miserable night. Like dtiller, I feel like it saved my life...I sleep so well. I wore it faithfully, even if I took a nap. After some great weight loss, I do not use it any longer when I nap - however, I still wear it at night. I was told by my health care provider, that it absolutely will not hurt you if you do wear it, so I figure why not. It will be a personal thing...have to see how it goes for you. And some people still have sleep apnea after weight loss, so you may have to have another sleep study to be certain.
    I am on a CPAP as well, and being diagnosed with sleep apnea was a huge push for me to get the surgery. I find it alot easier to sleep with than I anticipated, (actually don't notice it at all) and do feel like I've gotten much better sleeps with it. That being said, I can't wait to get rid of it! Good luck
    I have a CPAP machine and I was using pretty faithfully. I tried going without it for a few weeks and thought I was doing well until I woke up gasping for breath. I'm back to wearing it faithfully again.
    prior to surgery I had to have a sleep study done before they would set my date...I was diagnosied with mild sleep apnea so I got the machine and tried very hard to sleep with it but never made it more than a couple of hours a night. I wore it in the hospital the night of my surgery and tried a few more nights after that but would end up throwing it off! Havent worn it since! My husband was amazed that I had stopped snoring within a week of having surgery. I probably should re test but I think mine was so mild with weight loss it has gone. I sleep fine and never wake up trying to catch my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbloom
    I am on a CPAP as well, and being diagnosed with sleep apnea was a huge push for me to get the surgery. I find it alot easier to sleep with than I anticipated, (actually don't notice it at all) and do feel like I've gotten much better sleeps with it. That being said, I can't wait to get rid of it! Good luck
    What type of mouth /nose cover do you like?
    I use the pillow, goes just over the nose. I got use to it pretty fast. I don't love it but I do love that I don't wake up constantly anymore.
    I have had a CPAP since 1993 but since my surgery my pressures have gone steadily down so I am hopeful that I can eventually come off of it all together. If not its not a big deal for me as I know it has saved my life. My wife is tiny and she has sleep apnea so it is not always big people that get it or can come off it.
    I have been told to see if I have sleep apnea. Because of my asthma, the doctor told me to look at that! Just not sure if I want to wear anything on my face. But I have heard great things!
    I just got my cpap machine on Friday. I am a mouth breather so I have to do the full mask. I will say this Friday night I did not sleep well. When I did wake up I was tired, but it was a different tired. I felt like I would on a crappy night of sleep, but I was not exhausted the way I felt without it that makes any sense. Saturday night I slept even worse lol so Sunday I was straight exhausted and was dreading going to bed. Now Sunday night I slept the best I have in three days. I am however still tired today. So I am hoping that with time I will sleep better and feel more rested. So very frustrating. Can anyone who has used it for awhile confirm that maybe my body is still trying to catch up to lost sleep?
    I sleep with a CPAP w/Oxygen every night. I tried to go a few nights without and my husband said I still snore pretty bad. I am 2 months post op and down 43 lbs. I am hoping to wean off of it for good at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by terry1042
    I have had a CPAP since 1993 but since my surgery my pressures have gone steadily down so I am hopeful that I can eventually come off of it all together. If not its not a big deal for me as I know it has saved my life. My wife is tiny and she has sleep apnea so it is not always big people that get it or can come off it.
    I had to go on Cpap after I had a heart attack (2011) with no blockage It was the first time in over a year or more I slept through the night. Just as you have experienced, my pressure has gone steadily down from 13 to 6.5 now. I have tried to go without, but 2 days in the most, and then I have to get back on it. I don't sleep very well without it, and wake up with a headache, which is what I used to do before finding out I stopped breathing 36 times an hour. I am used to it, and would rather sleep with it than to wake up tired and cranky and have a headache.