Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

patrikian

2 days after surgery for a sleeve in TJ

Rate this Entry
Short version=Sunday hotel Ticuan, Monday surgery, Tuesday back to the hotel, Wednesday to clinic for follow up tests and back to hotel. Yesterday (Tuesday) was the hardest, but not that bad really. Today (Wednesday) I'm bored and ready to head home but still have a drain in. That should come out tonight. Many are leaving tomorrow (those who just have sleeve) since I had band to sleeve I may need one more day. Pain was never a real issue. They responded quickly to requests for meds. Achy, gassy, sore...Somebody write a country song quick...

Now long version:

Spent Sunday at the hotel, Monday morning to the hospital, 6 of us went. Folks from Canada, Texas, California and me from Seattle for surgery. Van took us at 8am, bouncy trip to hospital, sure this will not be fun on the way back. One at a time we all got blood work, EKGs, signed paperwork (in Spanish but at this point I don't care what I signed). Some brought guests with them so we had a pretty big bunch.

We all met Dr. Almanza, got pictures with him. He shared that he had the sleeve 4 years ago, showed us his scars. By the way, cuter in person and a great set of abs.

Very nice folks in my group, but I do my stress in private so I asked for a quitter spot to wait. They were kind enough to let me do into a double room while my roomie was in surgery. Gave me a quite couple hours.

Off to surgery...walked into OR area, asked to climb on a gurney (no easy trick), wheeled a few feet and parked. I must have been parked outside a break room, they had a huge TV and what looked like big comfy cough. I heard that Dr. Almanza takes good care of his people so if that's what it was good for him. People have it tough in Tijuana. Anesthesiologist met with me in the hall, also seemed very nice. Gave me shot of something right there so I was pretty well out before the door to the OR closed. Woke up being helped into bed.

Because I was going from band to sleeve I had a NG tube. That was by far the worse part of the experience. You find a way to hold you head so you don't gag then try not to move a muscle. First thing next morning the others were taken back the hotel. I had to stay for about 6-8 more hours because of the band removal. They warned me I might have to stay another night, but I ended up going back to the hotel about 3 in the afternoon.

This is turning into a novel. Sorry. More a bit later on. Time to walk and burp.

Very nice nurses checking on you several times a day and whenever to you call. About 7pm I got my pm doses of everything and went to sleep. Slept like a rock, nice to be able to lay on my side now. Up and down to pee but that's my norm. Sipped on bottled water and an electrolyte solution I got at a little store a block from the hotel. Pick up water and Gatorade before your surgery. They have juice and popsicles but I didn't feel like making the walk to the front desk to get them until Wednesday.

Submit "2 days after surgery for a sleeve in TJ" to Digg Submit "2 days after surgery for a sleeve in TJ" to del.icio.us Submit "2 days after surgery for a sleeve in TJ" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 days after surgery for a sleeve in TJ" to Google

Comments

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are feeling ok. Look forward to following your journey.
    Glad things are going well for you. Congratulations and good luck on your weight loss journey.
    Sounds similar to my journey minus the NG tube. It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. I wish you the very best!!

Laura
    awesime info for my New Year sleeve
    Glad all went well! Best of luck for a speedy recovery.
    Brought back a few memories. Congratulations!!
    Brilliant! Glad to hear you're doing so well!! (Also nice to get a bit of a giggle, thanks!!!)