Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Melissa0914

Help!!!!!

Rate this Entry
As I’ve gotten older I feel like it’s so much harder to lose weight, almost impossible actually. When I was younger in my early 20’s I lost over 100 lbs. on my own and was in good shape and happy. Life got in the way, I lost my husband just prior to that when he was only 24 years old and I gained it all back plus 20 lbs. I have been on countless diets since then and workout programs. The past month and a half my daughter and I have been DILIGENTLY following weight watchers and now working out. So we are talking on my 7th week now and I’m only down 9 lbs with very serious cardio workouts where I’m left breathless and very sweaty. It’s absolutely so frustrating because it worked before, I did this exact thing before the way I am now and it’s just not working. I will continue to coach my 10 year old daughter on exercise and eating healthy, she doesn’t want me to get surgery she things she’ll stop losing but I will make sure that doesn’t happen somehow. She has followed in my footsteps and bad habits and is also overweight for her age. I don’t want her going through life as I did but I don’t want her thinking that when she’s older that surgery is the answer either. I want her to get healthy now. AM I doing the WRONG thing here? Will this negatively impact my daughter who looks to me for guidance? Part of me says suck it up stay on weight watchers and in a year we will be better but at this rate I just don’t know. I don’t want to let her down, has anyone had this experience with their kids? Any advice would be so helpful! I’m tired of this battle, I am still doing my consult in 2 weeks but should I proceed with this and have this surgery? HELP!!!!!!!

Submit "Help!!!!!" to Digg Submit "Help!!!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Help!!!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help!!!!!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I would hope with your guidance & reassurance your daughter would understand in the future why you had to make your decision. She would also still see that you had to make a significant change in your eating habits & with your explanation she could learn that this surgery is a tool only. I do not have children - so I only imagine what a good response is. Ultimately I'm sure your daughter wants you happy & healthy! GOOD LUCK!!
    That's a hard question and only you know the answer that is right for your truth.

In your same position, I would have the surgery and continue to instill healthy habits in my home. At my current weight, I carry around so much baggage and hopelessness that I am of no use to anyone. The sleeve wont be a magical pill, but it will aid me in my efforts for a happier, healthier life.

In your position, I would tell my children that I am doing this so that I can be the best mom I possibly can for them. I would remind them them that NOTHING is more important to me than their health and happiness and that in 'fixing' myself, I can better help them be healthy too,.
    I don't have children either, but the surgery could help you live a longer, healthier life with your daughter, and that's what is important.
    My son is 11 & overweight. My husband is heavy as well but healthy as a horse! When I was fat I had high bp,cholesterol,severe sleep apnea & fibromyalgia & depression & my blood sugar would spike & crash at least 3-4 times a week due to all the carbs I was eating. I was miserable & so disgusted w/ what I had done to my body I had to do something drastic. The sleeve was the perfect solution for me. I was at my heaviest of 279 & I'm only 5'3". Since being sleeved a year ago I've lost 117lbs I no longer have bp,or cholesterol,sleep apnea or depression. My sugar has regulated because I rarely eat carbs. This was hands down the best decision I ever made for myself! And as far as my son goes he's proud of me & his eating habits have changed & he gets exercise playing football. So as long as he's healthy I'm happy. Good luck to you & if you have any questions just ask I'll be happy to help.
    However you get there and it sticks is the right way to go. Maybe the yo-yo dieting is a worse thing for her to see? It seems like losing it and keeping it off would be a healthier message?
    (From a long time yo-yoer with kids too.) Good luck!
    I have two daughters and a son, they are 27, 27 amd 29. I had my surgery and my daughter went on a diet and lost 20lbs. My sister also started dieting and lost 20lbs. I found having this surgery motivated my family to lose weight/increase exercise. Now my daughters and I talk about food, exercise and weight often. My sister is trying so hard. Having lost weight many times in my life and regaining it I decided this was the only options for me.
    I know this is a tool, not the answer to maintain weight loss. I committed to exercise and always being aware of my food. So this may help your daughter as well. But it has to be forever. It is a personal choice and needs a lot of thought. Good luck to you.