Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sarahsmiles77

Babies, bresatfeeding and gastric sleeve?

Rate this Entry
Hey there everyone.. so i have a question that not even my own Dr. seemed to know!! So i have an 11 months old daughter, who is the love of my life!! I am still breast feeding and plan on doing so as long as she wants to.. i am not having the surgery for 6 months. so by then she may be weaned.. but if not does anyone out there know if having the surgery affects milk supply and/or is it too painful to hold the baby to nurse?? I would love any insight some of u Mom's out there who've had young babies/children who have had the surgery! thank u for your time!!!

Submit "Babies, bresatfeeding and gastric sleeve?" to Digg Submit "Babies, bresatfeeding and gastric sleeve?" to del.icio.us Submit "Babies, bresatfeeding and gastric sleeve?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Babies, bresatfeeding and gastric sleeve?" to Google

Comments

You will probably be given a med. like Omeprazole (Prilosec) for at least a month and an anti-gallstone med for 6 months after the surgery. Talk to your pediatrician about these, they may show up in your breast milk.

I only have man-boobs, so I can't help you with first hand experience.
    You will probably dry up because of the lack of nutrition your body will get during the first few months of the sleeve. I had a hard time breast feeding my son who was born a little over 2 years after I had my sleeve because I couldn't eat enough to keep up my supply. He only breast fed for 3 months when I dried up.
    Will you even be able to lift your daughter to breast feed her? After my surgery, I had a 20lb weight restriction for 2 weeks.
    I don't know, but it's worth a try! If it doesn't work, that sweet girl will be old enough to switch to a cup. (By the way, she's adorable!) I would think if you do well getting in all your liquids you wouldn't have a problem.
    My son is 12 wks, I'm 29 months post op and I breastfeed just fine. I also gained almost 50 lbs, down 25 and can't seem to budge from here. My Dr put me back on 900 cal diet and I find it soooo hard to do. I think I'm broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyg0915
    My son is 12 wks, I'm 29 months post op and I breastfeed just fine. I also gained almost 50 lbs, down 25 and can't seem to budge from here. My Dr put me back on 900 cal diet and I find it soooo hard to do. I think I'm broken.
    Nursing on only 900 calories a day? That doesn't sound right to me. (No expert here, just a mom.)