Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Heather1979

Alcohol

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Megan161 View Post
Hmm I wonder why addictive...Maybe because you need so little?
Megan, please google: WLS cross addiction

Here's one article: Obesity Action Coalition » Weight-loss Surgery and Cross Addiction: A Look at Binge Eating Disorder

Cross addictions are a risk for WLS patients -- not guaranteed, but a risk. When we don't have food to soothe us anymore, we may use other substances to soothe us post-op. This risk extends to people who are not alcoholics pre-op. In fact, someone posted here recently who had become an alcoholic post-op who had never even drunk socially before surgery.

Again, it's not guaranteed, but a risk.
I've just read that article and it's very interesting thanks Ann

Submit "Alcohol" to Digg Submit "Alcohol" to del.icio.us Submit "Alcohol" to StumbleUpon Submit "Alcohol" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

hay I am thinking about the sleeve surgery I am 328 and I am 47 and mom and grandma of three grandbabys . Are you glad you had surgery and would you do it again? how much weight have you lost and what has changed with your eating habits and can you eat bread or pop and how much can you eat and are you glad you had the surgery? I want to find out all I can before I do it . I am just thinking about it . I have fibromyglia and tired a lot and no energy and I have pain a lot all over. can you tell me how you feel now and what has changed and have you ever knowed of any one dieing for m sleeve?
    Hi ,

Yes I'm glad I had the surgery I've lost including my pre-op 28 lbs so far , it does vary from person to person and usually the higher weight you are the more you loose because generally it's on percentage . I'm only 4 weeks out so still on purée food and won't be trying bread for about another 6 weeks . I've been told not to drink fizzy drinks for now but in the future the odd one is fine . At the moment I have no choice if I eat the wrong thing it could split my staples and I could die. I'm not trying to scare you and I definitely think it's the right thing for you I just want to make you aware of what you would be going into. It is possible to cheat the sleeve but you have to want not to do it if you have the surgery. I kept thinking about surgery then I got up one morning and something clicked , I booked the surgery and never looked back . You need to make sure you get a good consultant and lots of support. I have 2 years support with a dietician , personal trainer , Physocologist and a team of people to talk to on a day to day basis which I've really needed. I'm not sure where you are I'm in the UK and pain privetly . I'm still early days and struggle to get all my calories down so I'm feeling tired and sick but in a month or so I should be more alive and healthier in my self . No form of WLS is a quick fix it is a tool and it takes time to get used to the tool also you have to think all the bad eating habits you've been practising has been for many many years so it's going to take a while to reprogramme your brain in to new habits . I have to say though that obesity is one if the biggest killers and at your weight please don't think I'm being rude but you are at risk of so many illnesses so you would be saving your life having this surgery . With regards to people dieing after surgery , the answer is no my consultant has been doing this surgery for 5years at about 700 a year and not lost one patient . There is always a chance when you put a morbidly obese patient under anaesthetic there is going to be a chance but all in all the risks are not high and the biggest piece of advice is find the right consultant and team and always do as your told and you will be fine . This time next year I will be a fit , healthy , happy person and without the surgery I would be fatter , unhappier and probably would of had more illnesses from obesity . Good luck on your decision and let me know if I can help you in any other way .