Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Janb

Don't EAT that in front of me.

Rate this Entry
I have six children, three are grown and three are little. Two marriages. My three at home are 10. 14 and 15. They seem to eat constantly. When I was directed by my colorectal surgeon to have the sleeve procedure, I was devastated, but have come back strong and have been reading a lot and mentally preparing for a mind-shift.

My family, however, is kicking and screaming. I don't want to have to be tortured by candy wrappers left laying on the table and chip bags at the computer.

I don't know how to get it through to them that if I don't make the mental changes now, it will be harder later, with less chance of success in the long run.

Any help would be appreciated.

Submit "Don't EAT that in front of me." to Digg Submit "Don't EAT that in front of me." to del.icio.us Submit "Don't EAT that in front of me." to StumbleUpon Submit "Don't EAT that in front of me." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

it is simple ... you are the parent and they are the children. tell them this is a new rule .. and if they refuse to listen...DONT BUY JUNK FOOD ANYMORE! I know it sounds harsh, but they can either respect your need to make better choices and get healthy or they can go without the junk too... mayeb when you give them that ultimatim they will think about it a little more. and , if they dont, well then they get to get healthier with you and tha is a good thing....
    If you don't bring it in they can't eat it. I take my son shopping w/ me. We don't buy it unless we all can eat it. Baked chips, protein bars or granola bars, fresh or canned fruit. Yes he still gets lunch meat but it's 98%fat free bologna,turkey or ham. Whole wheat bread. We eat a lot of chicken & very lean ground beef. He gets treats too because he's a kid & a growing boy. I buy outshine frozen fruit bars & oatmeal raising cookies for a treat. But do we splurge sometimes? Yes I'm human! We go to dq maybe once a month for a small blizzard. Mine takes me 2 days to eat. We really try not to eat fast food. Take out for us is Chinese or rarely pizza. I cook at home almost every night. If you set the example they will follow. Good luck!
    I don't think that because you are deciding to change your ways means others have to change their ways. I am not forcing anyone around me to change the way they eat around me. Its my choice to change my lifestyle not theirs. I need to be able to function in a world where everyone has their own eating habits, so I want others to remain the way they are. Don't get me wrong I try to introduce healthier decisions but won't force it! Best of luck on your journey! Hope you do well!
    I feel your pain/ anguish on this subject. My husband is going into my surgery being ''supportive' but still going to McDonald's to buy himself & our daughter supper. When I speak about the way eating is going to change after, he gets a little defensive and our daughter (who is 13 but special needs) starts screaming that she doesn't want to eat vegetables.
    It is a constant uphill battle but I look at it like this.....either you eat what I cook, go buy yourself something, or go hungry. I have already changed the things I buy at the store. Instead of regular chips, I get baked chips; no more regular yogurt, just Greek lite; since we live in the South, sweet tea is a huge part of our diet- now I make it with Splenda & they don't mind. I feel like I am making myself and them healthier. Good luck in the near future, my friend! You can do it!
    I have three children. The oldest is 23 and lives at home. She is a diabetic on insulin. She doesn't have a weight problem at all. My second child is away at college. She runs and swims and carefully watches what she eats. Then there is my sixteen year old son. He is on the "chunky" side. Don't you hate that term. He works and drives so I can't control the fast food intake. I will say things like have an apple or some cantaloupe but I don't preach at him. I've been on the receiving end of some sermons and they didn't help. When they are young YOU control what the eat. There may be some days when they will be upset but pretty soon they will get used to eating healthier. Lead by example.