Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ihavestandards

First week on the other side of the sleeve...

Rate this Entry
I had gastric sleeve with Dr. Almanza on 8/13/14. My surgery was textbook. I had no complications during surgery and no pain. To avoid the terrible gas pains, I began walking within 10 minutes of being wheeled into my room from recovery. I burped, passed gas and never had the dreaded gas pains. The nursing staff is not as capable as the US nurses I have had in the past. They messed up 2 of my IV's. One hand was swollen for almost 2 days and I ended up receiving my antibiotics in the butt. THAT hurt! The worst feeling I had was on my last night when they removed the drain. I felt like my insides were twisted in the 15 seconds it took to pull that thing out of me! The hotel was gorgeous and I made great friends who got sleeved with me. Many of us met prior to our procedure on this site so even though I went alone, I had a great support group. I chose to share a hotel room with one of the girls I had surgery with and it was great. In the beginning I thought having a private room would be better but it was great knowing there was someone else there if something happened and you could not call for help. We encouraged each other throughout the process and are now sleeve buddies for life. I made several other friends and it was a good experience overall. I rate the experience 8 out 10.

Submit "First week on the other side of the sleeve..." to Digg Submit "First week on the other side of the sleeve..." to del.icio.us Submit "First week on the other side of the sleeve..." to StumbleUpon Submit "First week on the other side of the sleeve..." to Google

Comments

Congratulations! I had Dr. Almanza a year ago this October and I am more than happy. The procedure was perfect and all is will. The best is yet to come. Sincerely, Shirleybird.
    Welcome to the sleeve side hon
    So glad all went well. I also had surgery with Dr A and had a great experience. Good luck on the rest of your journey!
    Glad things went well and surgery buddies are great. I find it interesting that the surgeons outside the US tend to put in drains and do leak tests. My US surgeon didn't do either. Oh well - different country - different procedures.