Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MissersK

Finally getting the ball rolling!

Rate this Entry
Since I am so horrible about logging in and keeping everyone updated,I figure it best to give a brief run down of me and my experience this far

I am a 27, soon to be 28, year old wife, step mother, aunt, full time student, and law enforcement dispatcher. For the majority of my 27 years I have been over weight. My obvious love for food coupled with family genetics and trials I have experienced, allowed me to add on pound after pound. With every added pound I would become more and more agitated with myself and my inability to take control. With every year that passed, I would make an "effort" to lose weight. I could lose 5-10 lbs, but after a while I'd balloon back up and sometimes gaining more than I had lost.

After getting married in 2010, my husband and I decided to have a family. After months of faithful attempts, I questioned my doctor as to why we hadn't got pregnant. Of course I knew the reason. I had been diagnosed with PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome), a weight related infertility issue, at 19. The doctor went on to explain that if I could lose between 10-20% of my excess body weight, that it would help jump start my reproductive system. I made several FAILED attempts(the PCOS aided in these attempts by making it easier to put weight on than to take it off) and finally decided to give up. I had abused myself mentally over the years so it was time to stop. Time to accept that I would always be fat...

After wallowing in my own pity and sorrow, I began doing research on fad diets, excercises(I own several that have never been taken out of their boxes), and any other miracle weight loss aid produced. It was fate to come across a bariatric surgeon in my hometown. I made an appointment for the seminar and was immediately interested in the gastric sleeve surgical option. I quickly set up an appointment with the physician who had left me feeling hopeful that changes would finally be made The appointment just reiterated those feelings. I had found the perfect doctor, in my hometown,who truly felt that this surgery was my best option. Day after day, the excitement continued to build. Each month I looked forward to reporting to my primary physician knowing that every month that went by was putting me closer to having my surgery. Finally at the end of the 6 months physician monitoring, my primary physician sent in all paperwork to the bariatric facility to be sent to my insurance for approval. I just knew that within two weeks, I would be scheduling surgery. WRONG!!!

Shortly after my primary submitted all of the required documents, the bariatric facility called. I had butterflies in my stomach when I seen their number. The voice on the other stuttered and stammered a bit as she introduced herself as the nurse involved in my case. She tried making small talk to liven up the conversation, but I knew the tone in her voice was probably not a good sign. She finally asks, "... were you not aware that you had to lose 10% of your body weight before your insurance would approve this surgery?" I literally wanted to come through the phone and slap her! I replied, "what do you mean was I aware? I asked numerous times and all I was told was to not gain weight. To just stay the same or lose some if I wanted!!! The doctor never informed me to lose 10%!" She tried apologizing for this, but I could tell she knew it wasn't getting her anywhere and abruptly tried ending the conversation. I told her to not worry with the 10% because I would lose it. I had already lost 13lbs(SW was 241. Over the holiday season I gained 10lbs to put me at 251. At the end of my 6 months, I had gotten down to 228 - no easy feat. I struggled the whole time with starvation).

To say I was pissed is an understatement. I dug deep and put forth the most effort to lose the last bit of weight I had. It slowly but surely began to creep off. After two months I had got down to 217 and became very sick. My physician put my on strong antibiotics and a round of steroids. I did everything I could to monitor my weight while on the steroids, but it simply wasn't enough. I ended up gaining back 10lbs over 2 weeks. I was distraught, yet determined to remove those 10lbs and get to my goal of 216. It happened over the course of a month. My weight would fluctuate any where between 5-9lbs a week, but it happened. I had gotten to 217.

And wouldn't you know it, I ended up sick(I have the worse immune system known to man. ). Here goes another round of antibiotics and steroids... And another 10lbs!!!! Gosh, I wanted to scream, cry, punch someone, and throw in the towel, but I just couldn't give up on myself one more time. I kept pushing through and FINALLY, after 11 months(start to finish and 5 months since my physician monitoring fail), I had enough courage to report to my bariatric facility to weigh in. On August 13, 2014 I stepped on a doctor's office scale, fully clothed and weighed.... 212.9!!!! Hallelujah!!! An additional 3.1 lbs that what I had to lose to begin with. Ive lost a total of 38.1lbs(58.1 if you count gaining 20lbs while losing. lol) Now it's finally going to happen. The nurse said they would be sending my paperwork into the insurance company on Friday and that the wait will be between 7-14 days before I would know if the surgery has been approved or denied. I've made it this long, whats a few more days going to hurt?

Submit "Finally getting the ball rolling!" to Digg Submit "Finally getting the ball rolling!" to del.icio.us Submit "Finally getting the ball rolling!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finally getting the ball rolling!" to Google

Comments

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get your approval pronto!
    Hoping they approve you! Fingers crossed for ya!!
    Thank you, Fae and Deejaycee76!!
    Wow! You have lost a lot of weight! I will keep you in my prayers! Please keep everyone informed
    On the outcome with the Ins. Good luck to you dear! Hope to see you on the Sleeved side!

Take Care
    Thank you so much, Lady J! I will definitely keep everyone informed. Starting out the gate, I was doing good at logging in daily, but the longer it went on and the more I felt that it wasn't going to happen, I quit. I hope to change that
    hoping only good thoughts