Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ckruts

Ups and downs

Rate this Entry
This week before Independence Day has been a little up and a little down and I thought I would share. First, let me say I love my sleeve, but I've hit the point where every pound off is a major struggle and I feel like I'm dieting all over again. This is frustrating to say the least.

On Monday I started the 5 day pouch test. This was mostly to break my carb snacking. That first day of all liquids was hard, but I got through it until Day 4 with no real problems. What really caused my downs this week were my doctor appointments.

On Wednesday I had a followup with my urologist. My PCP had sent me to a new urologist about my kidney stones. I had severe kidney stones about 7 years ago and had to have a procedure to break up the kidney stones to smaller pieces so that I could pass them. This procedure was only partially successful and the stent they placed afterward became infected which was excruciating. Needless to say I refused to have another procedure and have simply dealt with the occasionally pain and irritation since. Unfortunately, the presence of stones in my kidneys does cause the occasional infection. My last kidney infection was found in my pre-op tests before my sleeve surgery and I had to take a massive dose of antibiotics and face possible isolation post-surgery due to e-coli infection (I found that out the morning of surgery and it scared me even more). Well, my latest scans show that my right kidney is clear - yay! - but my left kidney has three 1 cm (that is cm not mm) stones, one of which is lodged in the "meat" of the kidney according to my urologist and isn't a concern. At this point, I can either have the ultrasound procedure and stent again or just monitor the situation. Maybe I'm a coward, but I decided to hell with it. I'll just monitor the situation. There really isn't anything that can be done and the stones are way too big for me to pass them. One yo-yo done for the week.

Thursday I had an appointment for a couple of scans also ordered by my PCP - a bone density test and my annual mammogram. I've never had a bone density test, but I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy (removal of ovaries) 7 years ago just a few months before the kidney stone procedure described above. This threw me into what they describe as surgical menopause in my 30s though I didn't have the symptoms because I've been on low-dose hormone replacement therapy ever since. Well between that procedure and the sleeve, my doctor wanted to make sure I'm doing enough calcium. (I'm also lactose intolerant which has made this all oh so interesting).

I did the bone density test first. When I was called back, I was told I need to change into a hospital gown, but they didn't need my bottoms off and I was wearing a dress, so she offered me scrubs. As she pulled the scrub pants out she said they weren't going to be small enough because the smallest she had was a medium. She was right. Thank God for drawstrings. (NSV - yay!). The results of the bone density test though was another down. Between my surgical menopause and the sleeve I'm in osteopenia which basically means I have the bones of someone about 15 - 20 years older than I am. I have to increase my calcium somehow.

My bloodwork a few weeks ago showed some other anomalies which were concerning. My cholesterol is up again (both good and bad cholesterol), so I'm on cholesterol meds again for a bit. Even more concerning, my sugars classified me as pre-diabetic. My father is a diabetic, but I'm not doing anything that should have caused this, so it's probably genetic.

The last couple of days I have been pretty introspective. I'm really glad I had the surgery and I guess if I don't lose anymore weight, I'd be okay. I love how I look, but I'm very conscious of the number of people who gain 10 - 15 pounds back after that one year mark. I would not be okay doing that at this point. I want to end up right where I am now. I also know my weight gain in the first place was medically caused having to do with other health issues I've had over the years. Like I said at the beginning I would do the sleeve surgery again in a heartbeat, but the last few days have really seen me suffering from some ups and downs. Hopefully I can keep moving forward. Take care all!

Submit "Ups and downs" to Digg Submit "Ups and downs" to del.icio.us Submit "Ups and downs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ups and downs" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So sorry for all you're going through---that's a lot to tackle in one week! Good luck--sounds like you've already been through some stuff and you've got a strong reserve.
    Glad you're basically happy with your weight loss. I hope your health problems improve or better yet just disappear entirely! Good luck with all.