Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

songbirdofny

Well I'm Sleeved....

Rate this Entry
So I was finally sleeved last Wednesday. I have to say it has been a rough road since last week. I was in the hospital for three days and the pain was just out of control. Unfortunately due to the pain meds I had a terrible cause of nausea that they could not control right away. The doctor's were concerned because I had 2 days of dry heaving/vomiting and they were worried about the new incision being affected. On Friday I woke feeling better and I passed all of my tests. The only way they were going to let me go home was if I could drink a few ounces of gatorade. Well I hate gatorade, so after pleading with one of the Residents they allowed me to start drinking chicken broth. The warm broth felt good and I was able to get a few ounces down. My surgeon and her team were outstanding as were the nurses during my three days at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital. I was never in my own room during my stay, but had to stay in the PACU, which turned out to be a blessing as I basically had my own, private recovery nurse for three days.

So I have been recovering at my parents since Friday night and still dealing with a lot of pain issues. Physically I hurt just about everywhere and the gas issues come around at least twice a day. I'm walking around, but nothing seems to help. The gas pain is no where near as bad as it was in the hospital but it's just one more thing that I have to deal with. I am able to drink and drink pretty well. I still have a bit of pain when I try to swallow something but I have learned to go slowly and not rush through a "meal". I'm getting about 35gm of protein in a day between my shakes, yogurt and my nightly meal of chicken broth. The broth at night is a lovely change to the all the cold and my new stomach seems to really enjoy a bit of warmth by the end of the day. I'm able to curb my craving for wanting to crew something by eating sugar free popsicles but sometimes the really cold sends my stomach in to a bit of a tizzy.

I'm really glad that I'm working form home for the next three weeks because I don't think I could deal with my commute on the subway and sitting at a desk all day with the pain that I am in. I take my pain pills only twice a day due to the fact all I want to do is sleep for hours after just taking a small dose.

So all in all everything seems to be going well. I'm learning new things about myself on a daily basis and I thank the universe for my lovely mother taking care of me. I'm ready for the pureed food stage to get here and the pain to subside soon but I'm telling myself to take everyday as it comes and tomorrow will be here when it gets here.

Submit "Well I'm Sleeved...." to Digg Submit "Well I'm Sleeved...." to del.icio.us Submit "Well I'm Sleeved...." to StumbleUpon Submit "Well I'm Sleeved...." to Google

Comments

sorry for all the pain,i hope and pray for your speedy recovery.
    I've been throught something similar as you, thats good that your feeling better, good luck on your journey.
    Sorry to hear that things have been so rough for you. You may want to order the Unjury Chicken Soup that contains protein. They also make an unflavored powder you can mix with other soups. That would allow you to have soup more often. Bariatric Choice and My Bariatric Pantry also sell hot chocolate that contains protein powder.

Be sure to count all your fluids and get the recommended amount. You may also want to try Gas-X Strips if you haven't already. Someone who had the sleever surgery several years ago told me that the Gas-X Strips would become my best friend for the rest of my life.

Withing you a good recovery - Bonnie
    I hope you feel better and better each day.
    I hope you feel beter soon I have jst started this journey and appreciate reading some of the bad to keep me aware that it is not all smooth sailing like some ae lucky to have. Best wishes keppnus posted.
    I have to admit I was worried when we didn't hear from you. At least you are being cared for and you are feeling a lot better. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. Be well and take care of yourself!