Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bergamini

A sleever runs a marathon! (26.2m)

Rate this Entry
Sorry for my very infrequent blog posts, I've been busy as usual: new job, new digs and I have been training like crazy for my first full marathon (26.2 miles), which was this past weekend in Green Bay, WI (Lambeau Field).

I finished! I wanted to run 9:30 miles, but I ran closer to 9:50. I actually ran ~ the first 20 miles at 9:37 but then hit a wall around mile 22 through almost mile 25 which slowed my pace down a bit. I perked up then and ran the last 1.2 miles at about a 9:10 pace which was awesome to dig deep at the end and find that. I didn't walk (except the water stops) but man I was dragging for 3 miles (22-25). The "average" time for a male marathoner is 4:17 and that was exactly my time. I will take being an average marathoner 18 months removed from being 300# and pretty darn unhealthy! I finished 832 out of 1950 who ran in this event. I'm early into running (just over a year) and love that I'm doing well but still have room for improvement. I love a good challenge!

I think most marathoners will tell you that the real accomplishment is not running 26.2 miles that day, but it is going out on days when it is cold, or your muscles ache, or you are tired and still doing your training runs. It was brutally cold in Wisconsin this winter and at my lower BMI I am freezing all the time. But I got heat packs, bundled up and went out there and ran. Since March I followed the Hal Higdon plan and ran 15-22 miles (depending upon the week) on my long run day (usually Sunday) eight times. That's a lot, but I felt very prepared. On the other days I would do runs ranging from 2 to 8 miles depending upon the plan.

The run itself is crazy. You start out with the pack, nervous and just trying to settle in. For me, the first 1-2 miles are rough because it takes a while to really get warmed up. Then, from there it is pretty easy. At mile 10 a lot of people start fading but that's when I start feeling good, when my muscles are like year we are warm and ready to go. I kept that up through mile 22 before hitting "the wall" they all talk about. I managed to get through the wall and finish strong. So many crazy thoughts. I cried at mile 1 because I realized I was running a marathon. I decided to dedicate it to my grandmother at mile 12 because I miss her. To get through the wall I focused on the automated text my family and some really awesome WLS friends I have (2x4's!) would get when I finished, so I knew I had to find a way through it and finish. So much of it was a blur but the finish was strong, vivid and awesome. I will never forget it.

I have the endurance now and just want to work on getting faster and preventing that wall from happening at mile 22. What I'm saying is that I'm not one and done. There will be more marathons for me! Although for a few weeks now I'm going back to being a more recreational runner and just having fun with it.

Anyway, that is all for now. Maybe a bit of a brag blog but also, hopefully, some motivation. I didn't start out by running 26.2 miles. I started walking (huffing and puffing) after surgery and then would run a block or two of my walk before I got too winded and went back to walking. I kept at it and at about 3 months post-op I was able to run a mile. I just kept working my way up from there. Baby steps, as I love to say. I was 300#, pre-diabetic, metabolic syndrome, gout, shingles, hypertension, etc. Now I can run a marathon. I really enjoyed the journey. I hope you do too.

Not much else going on besides of course the new job and the new digs! More on that later. I need to get back to work...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BERGAMINI_MARATHON.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	18997

Submit "A sleever runs a marathon! (26.2m)" to Digg Submit "A sleever runs a marathon! (26.2m)" to del.icio.us Submit "A sleever runs a marathon! (26.2m)" to StumbleUpon Submit "A sleever runs a marathon! (26.2m)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That is awesome!

How do you keep up with eating when you run long distances like that? I would love to learn more about your eating plan. Thanks in advance.
    That's great! Congratulations!
    Congratulations. I'm too old to run a marathon (knees are bad) but I hope to some day walk around my neighborhood several times. Who knows - once I conquer the neighborhood - i might move on to the world.

Stories like yours inspire us all - thanks for sharing.
    Natex14, after every long run I would have a double scoop protein shake with a banana or strawberries in it, I found that helped my recovery and caloric needs. Mostly my eating plan is to start out strong with protein at breakfast (milk & eggs usually), do veggies and protein at lunch, protein snacks and then at dinner have more carbs to help build my glycogen stores, with a protein snack at night before bed (a common thing for weight lifters and runners to help prevent muscle breakdown). I have a very liberal sleeve so capacity is not an issue for me, nor do I have a problem gulping water mid-run. I usually eat 150G of protein per day. That just works for me, but I still also have plenty of (mostly good) carbs as well.
    Wow, good for you
    Thanks for the information. I do a lot of long distance biking and I'm still learning how to manage my food, so I appreciate the information.
    Great blog. I am new to this sleeved life and only just got back into my exercise regime. I am wanting to get back into my running, but it has been such a long time, so reading your blog has given me advice on starting out again...those baby steps. I have a 5k circuit mapped out where I live so I will try that...walking then running then walking. Just can't wait to get started. M x
    How rewarding!
    Congratulations!!!!!! That is awesome!
    Bergamini,

As always you are an inspiration. Last post I read you were in recovery from your plastics and now you are running marathons. Was it hard to stay hydrated while running? I dont have any problems drinking three to four ounces at a time but havent tried to gulp like I used to either. I have been thinking about stepping up and try running again but worry about the weak knee. I guess I wont know how it will act until I put on the running shoes and hit the pavement. Good to hear from you and keep up the good work.
    I always love reading your posts...very inspirational! I'm not much of a runner but it is something that I want to try. I would be happy if I could run a 5k. Actually, I don't want to try...I'm going to do it. This post has motivated me to just do it! Thanks for posting and sharing your journey with us. Congrats on accomplishing this fantastic goal!
    Wow your before and after pics look amazing! That is so inspiring! M x
    Thanks, everyone. SethP -- I can chug water no problem. I can drink 6-8 ounces of fluid in pretty short order. Loose sleeve here!
    Bergamini, you must be just a tad looser then me because I can get 4-5 ounces in at once with no troubles either. I guess I just need to dust off them running shoes and get off the couch. My wife, though I love her very much can be a stubmling block for me. She wants to go with me everywhere when I am home from offshore but when I want to go walk or exercise it takes her an hour to get ready and once we start good she is ready to stop,LOL. I think sometimes she is allergic to sweat but I dont know for sure. She was blessed with good genes.
    amazing! good for you. Thanks for sharing.
    Congrats on the marathon! So awesome!! I am training for a 10k, did my first 5k this April. Wasn't a runner pre sleeve- and now love it so much! Happy running to you!
    Congrats! you have always been an inspiration to me.
    Sorry I only just caught up with this! Congratulations - amazing. I am going a bit slower on the running, but now up to 10k, and planning a half marathon. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Bergamini, you're a hero around here. And this latest news is just off the hook!

Thanks for sharing this. It's impressive as hell.