Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

keoster1

Do People Actually Die during the sleeve Surgery or has it ever happened ??

Rate this Entry
i was just wondering this because i havent seen any reports of it , either way it wont sway me im taking the risk !!

Submit "Do People Actually Die during the sleeve Surgery or has it ever happened ??" to Digg Submit "Do People Actually Die during the sleeve Surgery or has it ever happened ??" to del.icio.us Submit "Do People Actually Die during the sleeve Surgery or has it ever happened ??" to StumbleUpon Submit "Do People Actually Die during the sleeve Surgery or has it ever happened ??" to Google

Tags: die Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It would be a miracle if there was a type of surgery no one has died from during or related to complications. Did you mean to ask if anyone has the medical statistics?
    i think so yea lol
    The risks of dying from this surgery are the same with almost any surgery. My doctors made it clear that the risk was in *surgery* (any significant surgery) not the sleeve gastrectomy specifically. More people die from complications post-op than on the table, but even then the mortality rate is very very low. Those complications can be minimized by following your surgical teams instructions and making sure you follow the plan PRE and POST-op. Also be sure to communicate early and often if something seems amiss.Don't be afraid to call your doc/surgeon or go to the emergency room after surgery if you have odd symptoms or pain you weren't expecting.

They want you to be healthy, they won't be angry at you or annoyed for calling/going.

That said...you'll be fine. Be safe, use common sense.
    It could happen easily. My dr sent me home with a jump drive of my surgery. When they were removing some tissue before they severed the stomach, I had a bleeder that wouldnt stop! It was odd to see my stomach cavity keep filling up with blood. It took over 10 minutes to slow it down. Complications can and do happen after surgery as well. Read through some of the issues in the forums. Better to be prepared for the what ifs.
    A few years ago a woman here in Michigan died by not following her surgeon's plan after surgery. She was just a few days post op when she went to KFC. The food caused her sleeve to rupture and she died as a result. If you follow the advice of your medical team, you will have a higher chance of avoiding complications.
    As most have said, every surgery carries that risk. That is why they want you to have all the test. For me it was seeing a cardiologist and having a stress test. To make sure my heart was strong enough to handle the surgery. My complication came about 3 weeks after surgery when one of the port sites burst from and infection. Weird thing was, it wasn't red just slightly pink and no pain. That landed me in the ER and in the hospital for a few days and then doing wound care on myself for about a month or so. Best of luck to you hon
    I agree with what the others have said. I'm sure it has happened. That is why you can not go into this lightly. We have to be ready to follow the doctors orders & change our lives. (Wow! The comment about the woman that had KFC. That's crazy!) I actually wanted to have the surgery a few years earlier but had changed my mind due to my sis-in-law almost dying from complications from her lapband. I am happy I made this decision but be sure your ready, it's a roller coster ride. Good luck to you!
    Yes, of course people have died. Its surgery, which requires anesthesia.
    PS: The risks of dying from weight related complications give you a MUCH higher risk of dying.
    I did remember looking at this and there are mortality statistics. I believe it is .003 percent or 3 in one thousand I think that works out to. Complications was slightly higher. It is a less at risk surgery than many others at is less invasive however there are still risks. I asked my surgeon outright and he was honest. He had lost patients. A few. None on the operating table all post surgery. Could be connected with other complications, infections or not following dietary advice.
    I was told 3% rate of death, so yes. A member on here passed away early last year. She was a nice lady from what I understand. With all surgical procedures, there is a "chance". Some, more than others.