Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Lynn Giroux

My bumpy weight loss journey

Rate this Entry
My struggle with my weight has haunted me most of my life. I cannot actually remember a time in my life when I was happy with how I looked. I can still hear being called a fat cow by my sister as we grew up. Although I can now see I was not as fat as I perceived myself to be, that does not erase the years I spent hurting myself and tearing myself apart.

My first attempt at WLS was in 2006. I was convinced into getting the gastric balloon. At the time, it was really the only option I had so I figured, why not???? Oh my... oh myyyy... oh myyyyyyyy.... those were the worst 3 months of my life. My body was seriously rejecting the balloon and creating sulphuric acid (at least that is what is tasted and smelled like).... if I didn\t have anything in my stomach to keep the acid down well the gas came out of me from all directions... I know TMI.... it is very bad when your 1 year old son would imitate the noise that came out of me while adding how much mommy stinks!!! I was mortified...and ended up gaining about 10 KG during those 3 months.

In 2008, I reached my heaviest weight ever of 175 KG (385 lbs) and attempt #2 at my fight with my weight was getting the lapband. Now although I did not achieve what I set out to lose, I am still thankful for getting the band at the time because I have managed to get my weight down to 144KG. I had made down to 138 KG last year but a series of personal issues allowed the weight to creep back up. Three years ago when I was banded, my surgeon told me he wished he could sleeve me but at the time, the sleeve was not offered here. I know without a doubt if I had not gotten the band my weight would have been higher than ever.

So.... when in January 2011 we heard that Dr. Michel Gagner was coming to Qatar to head the WLS department, I jumped at the chance. We always hear "3rd time's a charm".... well.... here I go... Attempt #3.... more determined.... more stubborn....and more mature than ever. This is do or die for me...and I am not ready to die just yet.

The biggest difference I will have this time around... my support system. All the other attempts were done on my own... I was divorced and single mom of 4 boys. It was not an easy task.... but now.. I have a very supportive and loving husband who believes in me...and is teaching me to believe in myself.

Submit "My bumpy weight loss journey" to Digg Submit "My bumpy weight loss journey" to del.icio.us Submit "My bumpy weight loss journey" to StumbleUpon Submit "My bumpy weight loss journey" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

thanks for sharing and dont ever give up
    thanks for you your story...its really couragegeous of you to go 3 time but kike you you are not ready to die just now.... congrats and keep up the good work.
    keep your chin up. I too had the lap band in 2004 and I only lost 20lbs and gained that back toooo so hopefully in July I will be having a revision to the sleeve. We can do it! Just keep your faith and believe in yourself! I too am going thru my first divorce with two small children...this is our time to shine! Keep up the good work and enjoy your self and believe in yourself! :0
    Thank you all for the words of support and encouragement. Although I am living in a country with no family and a very small support system (there are no WLS support groups here), I am so thankful so this site and the people I have met here.