Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

suzn358

How is it really?

Rate this Entry
I had a surgery date for January 8th and cancelled since I have a cruise coming up in 2 weeks. I was afraid I wouldn't be at "normal" food in time for the cruise.

My new surgery date is May 28th.

My question for all of you is do you eat everything (or mostly) everything you used to eat, just in smaller quantities? Or did you completely revamp your eating?

Do you still have caffeine?

Thanks,
Susan

Submit "How is it really?" to Digg Submit "How is it really?" to del.icio.us Submit "How is it really?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How is it really?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

i'll be 11 weeks out on thursday, and I can eat almost everything I used to that I have tried. I have changed the way I eat, because I see if I eat certain things I will lose more weight, or the opposite. And I want to get to my goal as quick as possible. (Who doesn't) I would have kept surgery you would have felt a million times better, and even if you couldn't eat whatever on the cruise, you would have felt a lot better most likely. I have a cruise in November, can't wait! I know everyone is different, but I started trying more foods at 6 weeks out.
    Hi Susan,
    The first 5 months are very different as far as food goes. First, you can't eat solids and you can't drink very much either. I had a very easy time recovering, but we are all different. Some foods still make me sick and vomit. Sugar is the worst. You can stretch your stomach out with too much food or soda pop because of the carbonation. I have aways drank caffeine in either coffee or pop, but a don't drink more than 2 a day. Food is a very different relationship now. My surgery was Oct 11 of last year and I am much healthier and happier. I get a little frustrated when I want more of something I love like chocolate cake and I CAN'T. There is no room in a little stomach and you have to eat healthy because of that. Protein first. Yes you can eat anything if "your stomach" excepts it, just smaller quantities. It is tricky and took me a long time to learn, but I am finally getting the hang of it. I spent months eating and vomiting within 5 mins because it takes 20 mins for your brain to know your stomach is full and that has always been a hard thing for me to learn. I hope this answers your questions.
    In all I would not change anything. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and I feel great. Mostly, be patient with yourself and it will get better every day. All the best to you ! Shirley
    I eat a lot of the things I used to eat, but definitely in smaller quantities. Except for breads and pastas. I don't eat them much at all anymore. I am happy without them in my meals. Also, I notice that I eat a lot more fish now. I didn't like it before, but suddenly it tastes great. Everything taste better now that I slow down and really chew my food. I also find that I don't eat as much green leafy things like salads anymore. I like chopped veggies with a little dressing, but the sping mix seems harder to digest. I do like baked kale chips though so maybe it is just a texture thing now.
    Hi sun welcome back hope the cruise was nice. Glad to hear you decide to go ahead with surgery. The first 3 weeks will be tough but it will get better. Just remember sip liquid get your protein in, and walk. I am 3 months out and lost 35 lbs. now I on a stall. But that part of the jouney. Take care . Again welcome back.
    This was a great question thanks for asking it.. Cant wait to see all the different responses.
    I know everyone is different with how their new stomach can handle food....I have been able to tolerate everything I've tried. I am 1 month out and most of the food I thought I would crave - I really don't. Sure, there are a few things that I "shouldn't" have but I do take a bite - it's not what I remember or want anymore. French fries was the big one -I didn't think they tasted that good anymore! I too thought I would miss a lot of foods - but I'm not that hungry to really crave a lot.
    I am 5 months out today and yes I could eat pretty much everything I ate pre sleeve but choose not to. Bread, pasta and rice tend to irritate my stomach. They swell up in the pouch and make life uncomfortable for several hours so they no longer fit into my life. I still have ice cream but instead of a pint of Ben and Jerrys, its 1/2 c of blue bunny sweet freedom, any flavor around 100 calories I will eat. I still eat dessert every now and then. Oreos are off limits to me, they were one of my binge foods and they are my kryptonite. Your relationship with food has to change in order to be successful with the sleeve. It takes work every minute of every day to make a conscious choice to put good foods in my mouth. It would be very easy to slide back into old habits but I didnt spend 9800.00 to fail...I was a self pay. I drink caffeine all the time. I hate water but love the diet iced tea a local grocery store makes so I drink that. A cup of coffee has just recently made it back into my life, within the last month. For the first four months even the smell of coffee made me gag muchless the thought of drinking it. Now, no problem. Your tastebuds change after surgery. Your body will let you know if you put something in it that it isnt happy with:-) Best of luck!
    I am two months out and eat pretty much whatever I want. Bread and pasta are out...they make me very uncomfortable. If you had asked me if I could give up bread and pasta a few months ago I would have said "no way"!, but I really do not miss them. I don't crave sweets at all. I eat a lot of beef and chicken, peanut butter, nuts, eggs...I try to add some fruit and veggies, but usually stick with protein since it fills me up so quickly. I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, so haven't had any caffeine. I stick mainly with water and occasionally some juice. I haven't tried salad yet....not really because I think it will cause problems but mainly because I want meat all the time. When I start thinking about something to eat I immediately think about steak or chicken and they both do great for me, so I'll stick with them for now. Good luck on your journey!!
    I love seeing questions like this I am so new I have not made it to the first informational meeting (next week) I have been the fence about this surgery so it has been great reading these questions and responses.
    Looks like there are a few of us 5 month people responding but I will post as well. I have never had any food issues except with chili when I tried it twice around 3 months & 4 months - just made me feel icky - but no other problems. I eat completely different then I used to. I loved cereal, peanut butter sandwiches etc. prior - Now I pretty much eat protein, protein, protein with little bits of fruit or veggies or a few bites of other things. And I am ok with that. I have about 10 things that I tend to eat weekly, - I miss salads- they don't fit right anymore - protein first then the other stuff if you have room. I rarely eat bread, rice, noodles - because there is so little room after eating the protein - My weight loss has been slower then most but I had a bit lower starting weight then many - I love my sleeve & love that I could choose to eat anything I want but the sleeve just makes it so much easier to choose the right stuff and stops you from overeating. I couldn't be happier with my decision to do this for myself - to think that I was approved by my insurance over a year before I actually went ahead with this surgery because I was afraid - it is life changing. I shop in regular sizes now (I was a 16/18 and now am a 10) and I actually enjoy running into people in public instead of avoiding them! Best decision of my life.
    forgot to mention - I probably drink 2-3 cups a coffee a day - I didn't go back to coffee until 3 months but the dietitian told me it is fine as long as you watch what you put in your coffee. I do not drink any pop since 5 months before surgery -
    well we are sposed to do protein first, then vegies, then fruits then starchy carbs and give up carbinated drinks. Caffeine can cause ulcers. Other than that, no junk food and fast food, but can do it now and then. That's pretty much what our doc said. No high fat or high sugar, if you do, limit it. Eat some protein first.
    Ok, I am 10 months out right now. I was sleeved on May 10th in 2013 and for August 8th was on my anniversary cruise with my wife. There are so many food choices on the ship that it was not a problem finding foods to eat. It was actually nice because I could order something for myself and the wife could eat as much as she liked. I have been drinking coffee since week 1, decaf at first, and I have not had any problems tolerating it. I can eat anything with no trouble right now and I try to keep it healthier by choice. IF I want bread I eat it but I do not want it as much as before. I still eat rice but in very small amounts.

The biggest change for me since being sleeved is that I still stick to the no drinking while eating rule and wait for about 30 minutes before I drink after eating. It used to be hard but it has actually gotten easier to do as time progresses. The only regret I have is not doing this 20 years ago but then again they werent letting us do it then so I guess that is ok. Godspeed on your journey and enjoy the cruise.
    Hey Sun Glad to hear you have rescheduled the surgery, you won't regret it. I am 17 weeks post op and I pretty much eat whatever I like. I make sure I get my protein in (those damn shakes are barf material now but I get it down as it is the easiest way to get a large portion of my protein requirements in). I can eat toast (1 piece) but bread doesn't sit right. Rice is fine but pasta although OK I can't eat much of. I can't abide anything too sweet or salty (considering I used to drown my food in salt). Am only just starting to drink plain water, it tasted awful and I put a cap of diet cordial into my water bottle to make it bearable but the taste is ok now. Chocolate gives me dreadful heartburn. I can eat soft sweets so I keep away from them. Your tastebuds change dramatically and it is a lot of trial and error as to what sits right. The great thing is I eat because I have to and not because I want to so my life no longer revolves around food. It can be frustrating but 66lbs later I feel fantastic and am now only 35lbs from my goal weight. I do stick to the no drinking whilst I eat and wait at least 30 mins after and I agree with Seth, it has become so easy now that I don't even think about it. I have drunk coffee from very early on with no adverse affects. I do miss fruit as it is hard to fit it into my daily eating plan as you get so full very quickly. Veges I tend to mix with my food and go for the softer ones like spinach, brocoli etc.

You will do great if you follow the programme and it's not hard this far out. The early weeks are damn hard but you get through it and you won't look back. Just remember, everyone is different so what works for some won't work for others in the food department.
    The old me made terrible foods choices. That said, I am 3 months post-op and although i can eat anything I want, I am more selective about what I eat. For me, eating no longer has the hold over me as it once did. I pay more attention to nutrition labels and have cut out all sweets, chips, and dips. So many people are too worried about how their focus around food may change; it should change else we would NOT require a surgical intervention.
    Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm looking forward to being sleeved next month.