Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

secretblonde

My time in Mexico :)

Rate this Entry
my experience was not bad at all... i found someone on this forum that was having surgery the same day, and we just decided we would be buddies...
got picked up from the hospital, 20-30 minutes later across the border, then on to the lab.. lab was just a little place and we all sat in the lobby. one by one we were called back to the office... there was a girl tech, and i guess, a doctor.. very flirty, very nice.. i assume he thought he was relaxing since he had to take our EKG. (let me say, i made friends with the ladies at the airport.. i approached most of them and asked if they were with almanza, made it for a nice trip to Mexico)
if you haven't paid the complete balance, they ask for it there, in back.. i believe that guy is the Dr's brother... whole thing took less than an hour, and we had like 15 in our group...maybe a couple less.. from there we went to the hotel.

Kelly (my buddy from Texas) and I checked in went to our room and unpacked..the room was very nice the shower was great LOL... we then went downstairs for broth, which was very good too..

we planned on stepping out and we did with a few other ladies when you leave the hotel, just make a left, then another left onto Revolution. If you just stay on that street, and go down a couple blocks and then come back the way you got there, you will be fine.. the shopkeepers will try to get you inside.. we went into a few, made some small purchases talked a bit with them .. all were nice.
the pushy ones were the food places LOL, which we avoided

Kelly and i went back to hotel, ordered room service, showered and went to bed.. i forgot the time of wake up call , but it was either 6 am or 7.. that we were to meet at the lobby..
what no one told us was... PACK YOUR BAG... ALL YOUR STUFF. we ASSUMED we were coming back .. silly us.. and we LEFT our bags with the nurses station.. .ASSUMING we would be back the next day.. again silly us.. we never saw the hotel again.(except to pick up people)

just a few minute drive to the hospital... checked in ... got into gowns,IVs were put in.. took me 3 times, if you know your veins might burst or have had problems, maybe ask for a smaller needle from the get go. the nurse wrapped our legs, ( i don't know if you can wear your socks) Dr almanza met us all in a room ... talked to us for a few, showed us his scars, and 6 pac.. very nice man... and then that was the start!!

I was first, my roomie 2nd.. we walked to one room , laid down, and then in minutes, i was taken to the OR ( i walked) i only remember that the OR was large, stainless, and a very nice size. i laid down on a bed, arms strapped down, the anesthesiologist talked to me for a few and i was out. I am not even sure when i remember waking up... but when i did, i was back in my room . I think Kelly was there too, but don't remember for sure, which could be a good thing, i was still drugged

the next 3 nights were like being in a hospital... cuz that's where we were... Maternity ward on the same floor, so babies crying.. and i believe there might have been a small emergency room for toddlers, because late one night a doctor was tending to one. Most of the time i was sleeping.. sleeping was nice... i asked for pain meds often , not so much for pain, but to go to sleep. they get you up and walking right away , so we did.. we visited with the others, walked with others, watched movies, listened to music.. played on our tablets. I personally did not have a bad time, i Liked the Staff... talked to almost all of them .. got up and down ... I did have gas, but the staff had medicine, plus i had my gas X. I got a headache for 3 days .. i now think it was because of lack of food... IF you get hungry and are at the hospital.. REMIND them to give you some broth. THEY also sent someone out to pick up juice and popcicles. they did have water, juice, ice...and a cafeteria downstairs that i never saw. at some point we asked a driver to pick up our bags from the hotel.. they did.. no problem.

We got to see Dr Almanza i believe on Sunday.. he seemed as surprised as us that we were not at the hotel, but then said.. better care at hospital... . ( again, i think that the folks that have operation at the end of week, will stay at hospital, unless they have paid for a room at the hotel)( there is medical staff there, but someone on here said they were so busy they couldn't keep up)

Monday we were up, said good bye to new friends.. Kelly and I and driver left hospital, went to hotel, picked up several more that we leaving.. got gas... headed to border for 3 hour wait. A couple of us didn't have passport, being told we could cross with just drivers license and birth certificate ... well that's true.. but the agents HATE it... HE also said... that because of that it was 3 hours instead of 1 1/2 hours... sometimes they have the fast pass.. sometimes they don't.. Dr has to apply... a few miles past the airport we blew a tire LOL.. best time EVER on the freeway with 6 beautiful ladies....

I think i might have been one of the lucky ones.. i didn't have tons of pain (besides nagging headache) pulling the drain out, wasn't a big deal, i managed the GROSS stuff they make you drink before x rays.. i just kept thinking.. i am on MY way to a new life... THIS is little in the grand scheme of things... I am almost 59 years old, wish to God, i had been able to do this 15 years ago.. i want to LIVE, LOVE, and have a better quality of life for at least 20 more years!!!!

Submit "My time in Mexico :)" to Digg Submit "My time in Mexico :)" to del.icio.us Submit "My time in Mexico :)" to StumbleUpon Submit "My time in Mexico :)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations! I am 56 and was sleeved on 2/13/14. It is never too late to enjoy the rest of your life. Welcome to the other side
    So glad that everything went well for you, thanks for your post it gives me an idea of what's coming my way in about 2 weeks.
    TODAY is the first day of the rest of your life. I was 47 when I had the procedure and like you, I wish I could have done it 20 years ago. It would have been so much easier to play with my older children back then. Today I am remarried and we have a 4 year old and it is a blast to be able to roll around with him in the yard. Thank GOD for the Sleeve and the new lease on life.
    That should be airport top paragraph .... then to border .... grr
    Dr. Almanza was my doctor for the gastric sleeve. I had a wonderful experience. You are on your way to the skinny zone. I had my surgery 8 1/2 months ago. Went from a size 20 to 6. Get ready. Glad you had a wonderful experience.......
    Success to you!
    So glad you had a wonderful time!!