Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

newclear

Why I Didn't Get the Lap Band

Rate this Entry
***NOTE: I'm not promoting the sleeve over the band. These are my research based opinions. I am not in the medical field. You should discuss your options with your doctor to determine what's best for you.****

A few years ago through last December, I thought the lap band would be the perfect tool to help me lose weight. It's minimally invasive, lower risk, adjustable, reversible and nutrient deficiency doesn't have to be a lifelong concern. Even though it doesn't have great long term weight loss results compared to other procedures, I'm a gym junky and the portion control would make it perfect for me. What made me change my mind?

As it turns out, life with the band hasn't been peachy keen for all. In fact, long term, I've seen a complication rate as high as 40% in different group studies I've read. I'm 28 years old, and if I live to the life expectancy of American women, I have some 50 years left. The Lap Band received FDA approval in 2001. With such a high complication rate in that time, I would could not realistically rely on the band to last 50 years. Some of the complications are band erosion, embedding, slipping, and portal flips/infections. I've read about pregnancy and shifting of the port, including discomfort. Fills are expensive/inconvenient and once you've had a slip, scar tissue can make it difficult for you to find that "sweet spot" for portion control again. Not to mention the number of blogs from folks about breathing difficulty due to tightness and things becoming stuck. I've read about people having to fight to have the band removed and another fight for a revision surgery, even for the ones suffering from the pains of embedding. Finally, the scar tissue and embedding factor doesn't make it completely reversible for all.

So it turns out, although some researchers tout it as the best option for younger, more active people, I disagree based on the unknown reliability over the rest of that young person's life. As the Lap Band was THE choice for me, it was difficult to part with my stomach. I considered the gastric plication, which is experimental, but in the end, it wasn't an option for me. I liked the idea of not cutting away the stomach, but if I needed a revision surgery on that or had some gastric problems, there aren't enough doctors who are well versed in the procedure that I could rely on. In Japan, to my knowledge, they don't practice the procedure at all, so I'd have to endure a minimum of 11 hrs in flight to find a doctor who can help me.

With the gastric cramping/diarrhea over the past 2 days, I'm not liking the sleeve right now, but I'd call my sentiment far from regret. Speaking of regret, I should note that along my journey, I've met a few people who were undergoing Lap Band revision. Most did not regret it as a starting point to a healthy life. A few people thought it was a device of pure evil. One girl that was getting banded went on about her mum having it since 1997 and have been successful without problems with it. I mention these testaments to say, although I've read up a lot on the band, there are still people that this is a good option for. No matter which bariatric procedure you go with, they have risks and the potential to fail you, either out of poor choices or your case being unusual and you're stuck at a low excess weight loss over time.

To all, good luck on your journey to good health.

Submit "Why I Didn't Get the Lap Band" to Digg Submit "Why I Didn't Get the Lap Band" to del.icio.us Submit "Why I Didn't Get the Lap Band" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why I Didn't Get the Lap Band" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It does get better the further out from surgery you are. I dont regret getting sleeved one bit:-)
    I had many of the same conclussions as you while doing my research. I KNOW that reversal would never be an option for me. Genetically, my family are all "big" people so I knew that once I made a decision to have WLS that it would be permanent life long change. The portions in Amerca are obscene from what I have seen in my world travels. Today me and my Filipino wife share meals when we eat out more often then not. There are a few times when I just cant eat anymore fish and have to break down and order steak or chicken, but she is content with seafood. Godspeed on your journey. It has been one of my best decisions in life. It comes right behind living for God and marrying my wife.
    I was actually scheduled for the band, but my husband opted to have the sleeve a few months before me. When he was in the hospital, we met so many people who were there having their bands removed due to the amounts of problems they were having. Also, the psych I had to see prior to surgery had had the bypass and she mentioned that the success of the sleeve was greater than with the band. I wasnt convinced until husband was in the hospital. While there, I went to the officeand asked to have my procedure changed to the sleeve and have not regretted it. I will be 2 years in June and even though it has been a slow journey, I am 19 lbs from my goal. Planning to have surgery for the skin and am hoping this will help me tone up and lose that last few lbs. Funny howsomepeople think 19 lbs is a lot, but after losing 124 lbs, it doesn't seem so bad! lol. Best wishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbenson5
    I was actually scheduled for the band, but my husband opted to have the sleeve a few months before me. When he was in the hospital, we met so many people who were there having their bands removed due to the amounts of problems they were having. Also, the psych I had to see prior to surgery had had the bypass and she mentioned that the success of the sleeve was greater than with the band. I wasnt convinced until husband was in the hospital. While there, I went to the officeand asked to have my procedure changed to the sleeve and have not regretted it. I will be 2 years in June and even though it has been a slow journey, I am 19 lbs from my goal. Planning to have surgery for the skin and am hoping this will help me tone up and lose that last few lbs. Funny howsomepeople think 19 lbs is a lot, but after losing 124 lbs, it doesn't seem so bad! lol. Best wishes!
    Congrats on your weight loss. You've definitely rocked that procedure.

One thing I did almost always is try to understand why people chose the procedures they did. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of arrogance among people my age when it comes to defending their choice (most people my age prefer the Lap Band of course). The folks I've spoken to generally in their 40's and seem to accept what they know of themselves and their relationship with food, so most opted for gastric bypass or the sleeve as the permanence doesn't scare them so much.

I posted this because I've been asked "Isn't this a bit dramatic for your age?", and I wanted those who are pre-decision to understand that everything I speak about regarding the band is out there. Research, weigh the factors and decide. Don't simply do something because of the shiny package; make an informed decision. With the sleeve, I dread the idea of the life threatening leak, which I've seen as high as just over 6% in a single study, and I've seen a case where a patient who had a revision to the sleeve had a late term leak at either 16 or 18 months post op. I still chose this procedure with the information I had.

Good luck on that last 19 lbs. Cheers to your new life.
    A very thoughtful evaluation of the Lap Band. I too am not being paid to promote anything. But after listening and reading about the problems one of my friends has had with her lap bad, I knew it wasn't for me. As a nurse, I kept an eye on all the different procedures that have appeared over time. I knew bypass wasn't for me. At first I was excited about plication until I looked at it as a medical professsional. Once a surgeon sutures something together, it usually stays that way. So I knew that wasn't reversible as they say. So when I heard about the sleeve, I knew that was for me. You see, I am an "older" patient. I was 57 when I had this done. I am almost 8 months out and 110lb down. I really would like 25 more. That feels greedy on one hand but I would like to be under 200 to stay. I am 5'8 1/2". Yes, I am having some problems with diarrhea, but I had those before. Good luck you in the future.
    Interesting! I used to have terrible diarrhea before the sleeve, but now almost the reverse! lol
    I totally agree that you need to do your research. I am an occupational therapist and tend to research things to death, so by the time I got on the operating table, I just put it in their hands. Now to get through the skin surgery which I hear is more painful. Take care and tahnks for sharing!