Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

newclear

7 Days Post Op

Rate this Entry
It's official! I'm 7 days post op and I can't say all has been as I expected it, but I'm on my way to where I want to be. My journey started several years ago when it comes to considering bariatric surgery. I was not heavy enough for the procedure and had otherwise good health, so there's no way I would qualify unless I ate myself back into the place I was right after college at 263 lbs. The idea of that sickened me, it wasn't an option, but I was still left with a problem - my weight was very unhealthy.

After many years researching while working on fitness, I found myself in December 2013 looking for a bariatric surgeon that advertises their costs and coverage. I limited my search to US doctors, but learned of a procedure called gastric plication which lead me to a reputable surgeon based out of Mexico. In February, I set up everything and in a few weeks I would have my procedure.

The surgery was without complication, but the gas pain was a difficult 2 days post op battle. I was glad to have my husband by my side. We live several thousand miles apart and he's been dealing with a lot lately, so I didn't expect him to be there. I was happy when he offered to come, although he's always thought I look perfectly fine and a little crazy for permanently parting with the majority of my stomach. He's seen me try hard and over several years, lose and gain. He was there when I cried half the evening when I was told I was too thin for lap band and encouraged me to go to the gym again, where I fell in love with the Les Mills group workout routines. He saw me through all the snail pace walking, enjoyed the shrimp from my soup so I could drink the broth post-op, watch the bandaged come off, drains removed and saw me off back to Japan 3 days post-op (btw, I would only recommend a 12 hr flight after surgery to my worst enemies. I knew it wouldn't be easy but it was harder than I anticipated).

4 days post-op, I started full liquids, and by day 5, I started to have problems. I had heart palpitations and diarrhea. I was checked up by the ER, followed up with my surgeon and GP. Turns out I'm having issues with reintroduction of nutrient dense foods (liquids of course). My surgeon explained that something like dumping syndrome can occur because of how quickly things move through my body now. This can cause heart palpitations, chills, bloating, fatigue and of course diarrhea. Turns out all of my protein shakes have dairy, so I'm back to isopure clear for protein right now and trying to keep myself hydrated. My GP offered up a tip - as I have a masticating juicer, I can supplement nutrients with low sugar veggie drinks.

My heart is feels better now, but I woke up several times last night to bowel cramping from diarrhea. It's certainly unpleasant, but I like to think this is an adjustment period and will pass. The good news is, I put on the clothes that I did my day of surgery weigh in on and weighed myself today. I'm at 208.6 lbs! 8.4 lbs lost in 7 days and 20.4 lbs down from my pre-op diet weight. I start light cardio at the gym next week, so I'm hoping in the next 2 weeks I can be in onederland again! It certainly hasn't been an easy journey, and I know there'll be bumps in the road, but I'll keep on pushing

Submit "7 Days Post Op" to Digg Submit "7 Days Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "7 Days Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "7 Days Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Keep on going! I'm a few days behind you but reading your posts helps me to be prepared and to also gauge my progress.

Best of luck to you. I think the thing that I realized very early after my surgery is that while people may not be near you physically, you're really not alone and there's a community that's here to support you. Hang tough!
    That is so true. I don't know what I'd do if this site didn't exist. No one really understands what I'm going through, and undergoing bariatric procedure is still taboo (whereas other medical tools such as insulin or high blood pressure med isn't), it helps to understand the experience of others and share outcome. Sometimes it may be need of a little motivation. Good luck to you too. Definitely share your progress!