Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nature Girl

It's not always about willpower. There are some potent chemicals in the processed foods we eat...

Rate this Entry
I just went to my first visit with a therapist yesterday. I believe that I am a food addict and that food addiction is a chemical addiction just like alcohol or drugs. I'm 7 weeks out and am struggling with my cravings and my head telling me I'm still hungry when I'm not.

My therapist thinks that the chemicals in our foods, like white sugar and white flour access the addiction centers of our brains and cause cravings, bad behaviors, etc, just like someone who is an alcoholic while under the influence will make other bad choices, like driving.

I knew going in that I had this problem and I hoped that I wouldn't have had to get therapy, but I will do anything I have to make this major life change work. I've lost 32lbs since my surgery.

Submit "It's not always about willpower. There are some potent chemicals in the processed foods we eat..." to Digg Submit "It's not always about willpower. There are some potent chemicals in the processed foods we eat..." to del.icio.us Submit "It's not always about willpower. There are some potent chemicals in the processed foods we eat..." to StumbleUpon Submit "It's not always about willpower. There are some potent chemicals in the processed foods we eat..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have you read the book The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition? It really helps with a lot of the head hunger vs real hunger.
    I agree - so many things affect our bodies we aren't even aware of.
    I truly believe the type of food we eat plays a huge part in cravings and our success. My 2-week pre-op diet was protein and veggies with a max of 20g of carbs a day. To achieve the less than 20 grams of carbs I cut out all bread and wheat products, rice and rice products, pasta, potatoes, sugars, all fried foods, diet soda, and junk. I'm just over 3 months post op and have not added any of those things back in and as of today I am 55lbs and a LOT of inches smaller. With eating only lean protein, greek yogurt, veggies, and the occassional fruit my body composition has changed dramatically. Since surgery I have not experienced any cravings or desires for foods I used to love. Everything I put in my mouth has a purpose of fueling my body and not feeding my body and emotions. You can do this... you just have to make the decision to.
    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated, Shirley
    I completely agree. Food is chemically addicting. However if you have the will power to completely cut those foods out and eat clean, the cravings will subside and you will feel better. Most of the time I am strict and militant and avoid these foods at all costs, but when I do give in and eat 1 of my daughters fries, or a bite of my husbands cake it is an ugly downward spiral. Just as it would be with any drug.
    I eat on a schedule to try to prevent in between meal snacking. The schedule works as long as I stick with it. The only time I still get cravings is when Aunt Flo visits....