Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

a2twinsnanny

Second supervised diet appointment/thyroid crap

Rate this Entry
I saw my PCP on Tuesday and I lost 5 pounds. She wasn't as excited I was because my thyroid levels are not where she wants them to be so she didn't even mention the weight. I mentioned before that I am a thyroid cancer survivor ( follicular to be exact) and my hormone replacement have been the biggest pain ever since I was diagnosed 5 years ago.
So when I was pregant with my second son I discovered that I kept losing my voice and I wasn't screaming very much but I did notice a large lump getting larger in my throat. The lump became noticable to others and I think that since I was going through a hard time with my then marriage and my business on top of the pregnancy my stress level was causing my body to act up. I went to a doctor to get a biospy on the lump and the doctor said the results were inconclusive but told me to wait until after I had my baby to come back and we could figure out what to do with the lump. So when my son was 4 months old then he told me that his only reconmmendation was surgery to remove the lump and if it was cancer he would have to remove my entire thyroid and start Radioactive Iodine. I was like...What!!?? He never even mentioned cancer while I was pregnant but I guess he was trying to decrease my stress or something.
So over the course of these 5 years... I have lost and gained weight. I have tried different diets, paid lots of money for plans like nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, hired a personal trainer, and went to a doctor who supervises diets for a living. All of that cost money and everytime I would have a hint of success, my endocrinologist would lower my thyroid medication. " You lost 20lbs, yeah! now its time to lower your meds because we don't want your thyroid level to become hyperactive".. Since I don't have a thyroid I will always naturally be hypoactive unless I take medication. So he would lower my medication.. then I would come back a month or two later and guess what... I would gain some weight back. When my thyroid medication is lowered I tend to have a few weeks of fatigue before I get used to the lowered dose, but by the time I get my energy back up I have to really struggle to get back into my exercise and eating routine. I ended up switching doctors who was williing to take me off synthroid so that I could try Armour hormone thyroid or cytomel in addition to the synthroid. My homeopathic doctor is great, she just listens to how I feel and lets my test results be a baseline but my experiences be the major decision maker. Since she is all about nature, she is against the weight loss surgery so now I still see my homeopathic doctor if I need her for other medical advise but she will not be supervising my pre op attempts for weight loss since she wants me to lose it without getting my stomach turned into a sleeve
So here I am with the third doctor to prescribe my hormone medicine that I will have to take for the rest of my life and she is once again lowering my medication because she still says that it is too much. When you have thyroid cancer you are supposed to suppress your natural thyroid just in case there are still some left over after the thyroid removal because if they grow then cancer could come back. So she want my numbers to be about a 0.1 but closer to 0.4/
Don't ask me about the numbers because they still don't make since to me but all I know is that I have to get used to another lowered dose of thyroid medication which will slow my metabolism and hopefully after a few weeks I will be motivated to work out like I have been doing.

My PCP will not complete any of the forms that my WLS surgeon wants completed until I am at month 6 visit. So I am 2 down and 4 to go!! I have a folder with all my paperwork and forms that the surgeon wants completed and she told me to leave the folder at home because she wants her documentation to tell the story that will be most beneficial to my claim.

I pray that once I get used to this new medication dosage, I will have energy to exercise and be active again. I pray that I get a quick approval for this surgery so that my weight loss will become easier again and that my thyroid hormones will still work even with the frequent dosage change

Submit "Second supervised diet appointment/thyroid crap" to Digg Submit "Second supervised diet appointment/thyroid crap" to del.icio.us Submit "Second supervised diet appointment/thyroid crap" to StumbleUpon Submit "Second supervised diet appointment/thyroid crap" to Google

Comments

I spent a lot of time learning what the numbers mean regarding my thyroid as I could not advocate for myself in any reasonable manner until I did so. I think that is #1 for self advocacy when talking about thyroid meds. Also, with some people (myself included) the tiredness and weight gain comes with either having too much hormone (hyperthyroid) or too little (hypothyroid) so I have to be right in the middle to feel well. Good luck.
    MBL Thanks for the information. I always assumed that if you were hyperthyroid then you should automatically lose weight. That makes since, your body needs to have a good balance in order to function normally so I once I get in the middle I should start feeling better as well as hopefully lose weight at a normal rate
    Before I have blood work done, I think about how I am feeling overall. That way, when it comes back I can know that a particular level helps me to feel well, or not. I have a doctor that takes into consideration both how I feel AND my levels, but you will never find one that hugely deviates from "normal" levels.

Unfortunately, once our levels fall one way or the other and we stop exercising etc., getting your meds adjusted will not instantly make it so you are no longer tired. You have to work back up to good health and exercise. For example, if anyone without a thyroid problem does not exercise, they are tired once they begin doing so. . . at least for awhile.

Having a bum thyroid (or none at all) is no fun, trust me, I know. I wish you the very best of luck