Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Nature Girl

Diet Soda is My Gateway Drug

Rate this Entry
I have come to realize that diet soda (Pepsi for me) is a gateway drug. I will be doing fine not craving sweets, and I will have a couple ounces, very slowly of diet Pepsi in the middle of the day and then by the end of the night I'm craving all the sweet crap in the house. If I'd known this years ago things might have been very different.

My doctor allows the rare carbonated beverage, but I can see I'm going to have to break this addiction...

Submit "Diet Soda is My Gateway Drug" to Digg Submit "Diet Soda is My Gateway Drug" to del.icio.us Submit "Diet Soda is My Gateway Drug" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diet Soda is My Gateway Drug" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I feel like pop and diet pop is just like putting poison into my body. It really is terrible. I completely agree with you that it makes you crave more high sugar foods. I notice that to be true in general with sugary foods.
    I've seen studies that artificial sweetners increase cravings for sugary carbs. All that stuff we are doing to help us lose weight & much of it sabotages us. It's why I have not jumped on the splenda etc bandwagons. I know my post op instructions advised artificial sweeteners, but I am too concerned with the risks. Aside from the possible sugar cravings they cause - I don't want to be taking in stuff that may cause me other health problems. Sugar with bleach added to alter the sugar molecule - that doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I'll have a tiny bit of real sugar or honey when I need to put something in my coffee or choose to have a sweet treat.
    what about stevia? not in pop because i'm not really a diet pop girl anyway but if i add stevia to say tea or something? i've heard it's not the same as other artificial sweeteners- meaning as bad or just plain bad. is that true? YIKES! thanks for the post makes me think… i had no idea... bleach added to change sugar molecule?? oh my...
    I've also been wondering what I am going to drink other than water because I refuse to drink anything with artificial sweeteners...I've just read way too many bad things about all of them. Right now I'm drinking Vitamin water with vitamin C and Vitamin B12...only 100 calories per bottle, but I know that when I'm able to consume more calories in food I will have to reduce the liquid calories. Not sure what I'll do because I can't see myself drinking water only for the rest of my life....
    I lived on diet soda for years. It was my "water". I broke the cycle by switching to carbonated water first. Did that for like 4-6 months until I was completely caffeine and sugar substitute free, then never picked up the bubbly water after surgery. Quitting the caffeine and chemicals was harder than I thought and took longer than I expected but its doable. The only time I miss it now is when I'm looking for a mixer for Captain Morgan! (I drink MUCH less now, but find it hard to choose a non-carbonated, low sugar drink in a bar without decent wine, lol)
    I kicked my diet coke habit by drinking club soda with lime. I realized I was craving the bubbles more than the sweetness. The studies all tell us how bad diet sodas are for our health. You rarely see thin people drinking diet soda.
    I used to drink 8-10 twenty ounce bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper daily. I haven't had any since starting my extended pre-op diet on 12/1/13.
    I'm not really liking crystal light since my surgery. Ironically, it tastes too sweet to me now. I drink a lot of iced tea that I brew from flavored tea bags (Republic of Tea Ginger Peach and Blackberry Sage. I use Nectresse (monk fruit) sweetener and that seems to be working good for me.

I've tried carbonated water and didn't like it.
    I can totally relate. I know the simple carb addiction deal is real. Just a little bit and I get unbelievable cravings. Going to put an absolute stop to this immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bandds
    what about stevia? not in pop because i'm not really a diet pop girl anyway but if i add stevia to say tea or something? i've heard it's not the same as other artificial sweeteners- meaning as bad or just plain bad. is that true? YIKES! thanks for the post makes me think… i had no idea... bleach added to change sugar molecule?? oh my...
    I read some stuff that sounds like it is completely natural from a plant extract, and other data that says 1 strain can mutate DNA. I don't know if it's safe, probably better than the alternative sweeteners though.

I oversimplified the splenda / bleach thing. It's altered with chlorine, but it changes the molecule into a chlorocarbon - which is in the same family as DDT & lindane.
    I use to drink a 20 oz Diet Pepsi everyday. I love it. I have not had any for over a year now. As hard as it was, I stopped and switched to unsweetened ice tea. I sill think I want one every so often, but I just won't allow myself to touch it. I just read an article that referred to soda as " The devil's p*ss" Funny as it was, there is some truth to it.
    You can do it. You need to find your replacement for your Diet Pepsi
    Yes, I was addicted to Diet Pepsi, Diet Mt. Dew, and Diet Sprite, totaling at least 6 to 8 each day. I went cold-turkey off 'em starting the day of surgery and haven't looked back.

I dearly miss my diet soda pals, but I still crave sweets as earnestly as I always have. Sugar free Hawaiian Punch in my water is my liquid salvation, after I get my 24 oz., 40 gram protein drink down (damned thing).