Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Phoenixrise

Medical Tourism, Destination Mexico- Part I

Rate this Entry
Medical Tourism: Weight Loss Surgery
Part 1: Travel Abroad:Mexico, and Patient Care Facilitator

Have you considered of going abroad to have weight loss surgery in another country other than your country of origin? Having weight loss surgery abroad is starting to be a new trend around the world, known as Medical Tourism. In fact this trend is starting to be seen more and more around all nations, and making this a fast growing new market. It may not be something you considered but I want to discuss the opportunities of having an elective surgery preformed abroad, and becoming an medical tourist.

Destination

So many of us are going to Mexico to have our weight loss surgery. I have been speaking to people and then when it comes to Mexico, yes, the price is very appealing but Mexico?? The reason many people have considered to use Mexico as a last result is due to not hearing about Mexico in a positive light. The things you think of are the Mexican Drug Cartel and being Kidnapped. You can not condemn an entire country over what you hear. Now think why are we more on board to vacation to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta for summer or spring vacations but have you ever thought, there is a chance, "If, I get sick I will be treated in a Mexican Hospital or Clinic?" Is it more okay to be treated in Mexico on leisure than on an elective surgery?

Travel Documentation when traveling to and from Mexico
You will need a Passport Card or Passport book if you are a US citizen. The passport card covers ground travel to Canada, Mexico, and for water travel. The Passport book will allow for any type of travel to and from Mexico. It is highly recommended you travel with either a passport book or passport card (and others may need a Visa, based on non-US/Canadian citizenship) If you choose to travel to Mexico with just a birth certificate and identification card you should be aware although you can not be denied entry into your country of origin, this could delay your entry back into the States, and require going to a second inspection at the US border which can last up to hours.

Native Language: Spanish
Breaking through communication barriers, when your primary language is not the language of the country of origin.
When you are traveling to Mexico you have to remember Spanish is the primary language. Yes, they make take American dollars, but they are not required to learn your language. Not knowing the language could be another fear, of being in a country in which you do not know the language. A language barrier can be a very big concern for many traveling patients. If this is a concern your solution should be consider using a Doctor or Group in which the staff is bilingual or speaks your primary language which for many would be English, during your facilitation process.

Language Barrier Questions to ask, Communicating with Staff
When speaking to your contact ask the patient facilitator if the staff speaks English? What is the level of understanding/writing/speaking would they consider the staff to speak English? Is it well enough to feel comfortable to be considered bilingual with understanding of English and they understand Spanish? Find out if the Doctor speaks English and whether or not the nursing and surgical staff speak English? If the staff handling your surgery does not speak English, how do you communicate and express your needs to them? In the case of an emergency how will this be communicated? Being Spanish is the primary language you should also be aware that as here in the USA all of our documentation is in English and their documentation will be in Spanish.

Patient Care Facilitator or Service
What is a Patient Care Facilitator?
A patient care facilitator service is a service in which patients traveling abroad can work with an agency and/or person whom specializes in helping patients, and their families understand what to expect when traveling abroad, and having an elective surgery in Mexico. They assist with patient preparation and care, and advocate for the patient's needs and wants to have a worry free medical travel. PCF help relieve patients of worries and concerns research could not help find answers too, about doctors, complaints, licencing, experience, reputation, etc. having done all the research for the patient.The PCF will assist a patient from the time the patient has filled out their questionnaire, until the patient departs home. Some PCF as myself will check up on patients randomly to check on their progress, or offer words of encouragement. I started a WLS support group on Facebook so my patients could interact with one another and share progress, photos, and other information to help aid in their continued success. The services in which PCF offer vary based on your surgeon or service you choose. Patient Care Facilitators may require a fee, to be paid by the patient and others will have their cost included in the cost of the elective surgery.

Why would I need a PCF?
If you are working, running a business, a full-time student, mother or both you may be just to busy to make the necessary travel arrangements by yourself. Your research will not be as focused based without the distraction your facing now. A PCF will help you through all the complexities of international travel. A PCF will have the research already done and know answers to your questions or able to give you a response within 24hrs.

What services does a PCF offer?
This will be based upon the amount of money you pay for the elective surgery or the administrative fee being asked. The more a patient pays the better care they will receive during their stay and after care. PCF will provide you with resources, and education about your specific procedure, and address any concerns you may have.
You pay for the amount of quality and ease of worries. Standard services included in cost would be : Airfare credit to a certain dollar amount or airfare, surgeon fees, surgical staff fees, hospital fees, medication costs, ground transportation, surgical cost of equipment and tools, anesthesia cost, pre-op and post op testing, operating room booking, wi-fi, usage of a phone line, bandages, etc.

Choosing the right PCF, my thoughts.
After working as a PCF I seen many practices I did not agree with, nor felt was fair. Which made me think if I wanted to continue to be a PCF I needed to find a Service provider who shared my same goals, and views. Which would be the same for when your choosing yours. I value integrity and hold it upmost high, having a PCF with actual years of MEDICAL industry knowledge behind them, and has dealt with real patients is important. A PCF or Service have partnered up with Surgeons, Hospitals, and/or Clinics to create agendas with providers for patients surgery goals.
After have dealt with the industry first had as a USA citizen electing to have surgery in a foreign country, I would have chosen a provider whom's business staff was more receptive to me and had as much medical/ customer service experience I have, in the medical and customer service industry. I elect to deal with a USA based PCF or Service, and for me a provider whom can be verified by USA standards, endorsed by the medical community in the United States and Mexico would be even more ideal. I would want a team which answers my questions and is as honest and giving of information as possible, that nothing is withheld for the incentive of obtaining my business. Of course cost would factor but if I am able to get all the services and amenities

What I find important to me now, as a PCF.
I required as similar to an American experience on a Mexican budget as possible, would be more than ideal. I feel there is much research in which I am limited to finding abroad as I am in my own country, having a USA establishment which can endorses these doctors and or the service provider would mean US medical professionals are giving their word and approval of the provider(s), which gives some relief to the surgeons expertise, and experience something I found hard to verify online and mostly impart due to the countries government is still going "electronic".
The liability associated with a US Medical provider endorsing another surgeon in another country, by giving their word mean they are vouching for the service and or PCF's ability to select qualified surgeons and staff, based on the American patients needs. Find a PCF who values and holds dear to what you believe. For me as a PCF Integrity, Honesty, Ethical, Compassionate, and deals with credible, accredited surgical professionals, business orientated and knowledgeable staff members.

Submit "Medical Tourism, Destination Mexico- Part I" to Digg Submit "Medical Tourism, Destination Mexico- Part I" to del.icio.us Submit "Medical Tourism, Destination Mexico- Part I" to StumbleUpon Submit "Medical Tourism, Destination Mexico- Part I" to Google

Comments

Very good
    Very good think you posted in a place people haven't read it repost so people can see this,it's so well written