Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

LadyGreensleeves

Okay... So I've done something incredibly stupid...

Rate this Entry
I am only 4 days post-op and I was feeling okay. I got this incredible urge to eat something solid. I ended up eating a slice of cheese and a piece of lunch meat turkey about the size of a cracker. I am hurting something awful right now. It feels kind of like it is stuck. I worry that I might have damaged something.

I am kicking myself like crazy right now, because, after all, I haven't even been able to get in all my fluids and here I had decided to take a bite of something solid.

Has this happened with anyone else? If so, how did you handle it?

Submit "Okay... So I've done something incredibly stupid..." to Digg Submit "Okay... So I've done something incredibly stupid..." to del.icio.us Submit "Okay... So I've done something incredibly stupid..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Okay... So I've done something incredibly stupid..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You should call your surgeon. That could be dangerous.
    Good lesson learned the hard way. You will probably be OK, but if it persists call the doc. Good luck. Do not push this process and it will work.
    In the meantime, try drinking something warm like tea.
    I have been constantly sipping water since and it seems to have subsided. It wasn't a ton of food by any means, it was simply that I shouldn't have done it at all. Thanks for the encouragement. I won't be doing that again. I am feeling better now. The water seems to have helped it pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGreensleeves
    I have been constantly sipping water since and it seems to have subsided. It wasn't a ton of food by any means, it was simply that I shouldn't have done it at all. Thanks for the encouragement. I won't be doing that again. I am feeling better now. The water seems to have helped it pass.

With your new sleeve, that IS a ton of food. You've got to change your perspective on the amount of food your new tummy is capable of handling. This is a crucial time to stick to the diet so it can heal.
    IF you feel like you absolutey have to eat something then puts some icecubes in a blender and make a slushy you can eat with a spoon. ONce you are cleared for Protien shakes then freeze them and they are like icecream. Make lots of jello and pudding with unflavored protiens in it. NEVER NEVER NEVER try to advance your diet ahead of schedule. You will almost always end up in pain and you take unnessecary risks to mess up the procedure you just endured. Godspeed on your journey and learn from this lesson.
    Keep this in mind...would you feed a newborn baby solid food? Your new stomach needs to heal and you need to feed it like it is brand new.
    Wow..................
    I know how you feel I had my surgery 7 days ago and have been wanting to eat something also. I have been on an all liquid protein diet since Jan. 26 and really want to eat something. So today I had some really really soft veggies but when I felt like it hurt I stopped and just drank the broth from the soup. It scary cause don't know what to expect and now I feel afraid to eat anything cause don't want to feel any pain. Let's work together message me and I will message u( if this is ok with u) so we can talk each other out of moving to fast with our diets. Good luck with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by moheredia
    I know how you feel I had my surgery 7 days ago and have been wanting to eat something also. I have been on an all liquid protein diet since Jan. 26 and really want to eat something. So today I had some really really soft veggies but when I felt like it hurt I stopped and just drank the broth from the soup. It scary cause don't know what to expect and now I feel afraid to eat anything cause don't want to feel any pain. Let's work together message me and I will message u( if this is ok with u) so we can talk each other out of moving to fast with our diets. Good luck with everything.
    Thanks so much! I WON'T be doing that again. I can't believe that I even thought about trying solids. I KNEW better. Thanks for the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    Wow..................

I admitted I did something incredibly stupid. No need to post out of rudeness.
    Just get back to what you should be doing, you'll be fine. Now is not the time to make up your own rules, you don't want to end up back in the hospital.
    LadyGreensleeves, I hope that you are not offended. As you can see, we are very caring on this board, we have all been where you are, we know how you feel, we might have done the same things that you did, and we don't want you to have any complications. You admitted that you did something wrong and so now you'll start anew this morning. This food/eating thing is really more a mental game and that some time is the hardest thing. Just remember that each stage is meant to help your stomach heal--take each stage as it comes. Come here and post often, we are all here to help.
    I was craving something solid yesterday- my Day 6. Now its funny 'cos I even thought of licking
    something good like the outside of a taco bell taco. haha! Called my Dr. and was told no to a protein shake. Finally I went down to our local Chinese restaurant and got War Wonton soup. Removed the chunks and drank the broth. That helped a lot. Today I'm OK- so far. Also, take your antacids that helps calm my stomach down. And find something to distract yourself. I think our old mindset is rearing it's ugly head. But with that said , I'm praying the doc moves me to pureed foods tomorrow.
    Today is a new day, get up, brush yourself off and start again down your road to success...learn from yesterday then leave it behind you....you are stronger than the voice in your head- evidentially she'll take the hint and leave you alone...until then just ignore her!
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I don't think it is physical hunger... I just seem to be dying for something real to eat. I keep wondering if this is "head hunger" like I keep hearing about.

I am working on staying on track with doctors orders.
    Your stomach needs time to heal. My hubby laughed at me because they had burgers one day and I actually licked my children's food. I wasn't brave enough to chew and swallow, but I wanted to taste it. Chewing gum helped me get over the "head hunger". I found that if I could chew something it was easier for me to stick to the liquids.