Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Rainbow

Shopping for clothes

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
For 20 years i had to shop in the "Plus-Size" area and was always so disappointed in the selection. I Hated trying on clothes, it made me depressed to finally find something that would fit, only to find it would NOT flatter. I would get so TIRED physically and emotionally and my feet would start hurting.I always felt like i had to "settle" for whatever was the least ugly.
When i dropped the first few sizes, i noticed that my choices started improving, and became a little more flattering. It was difficult to reach for the smaller size for fear it would be too small, so to compromise, i would try on 2 sizes of the same item! I was AMAZED at how many times the smaller size actually was better! By the time i realized i could wear a regular Large instead of X-large a whole new world opened up! Oh the thrill of going into a store that didn't carry clothes over a 12! I now found myself trying on clothes, just for the fun of it! Just because i could!! When my clothes would start getting baggy i would head to the Mall just to find out what my new size was! When i hit that size 8 i was down right GIDDY! (a word to the wise, just because it fits don't mean ya have to buy it!) I realized a little too late that i was no longer a size 8 but a 6! but that didn't do too much damage to my bank account as i was smart enough to grab a few size 4's when i decided to start buying the 6. to my wild amazement the size 4 fit perfectly! the size 6 was baggy! I have been in a 4 for a year now, and I cant help but point out the Irony of the fact that i find myself once again wearing the X's! X-small, or sometimes even a childs X-Large!!

Submit "Shopping for clothes" to Digg Submit "Shopping for clothes" to del.icio.us Submit "Shopping for clothes" to StumbleUpon Submit "Shopping for clothes" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That is GREAT!!! I know how you feel about all the plus size clothing! I am getting sleeved next Tues and can not wait!!!! Keep up the good work!!!
    Good for you! I'm at the point that my current clothes are starting to fit instead of being too tight. I refused to buy a larger size because I knew I was getting sleeved. I'm a size 48 now, northern european size, but I have no idea what that is in American sizes. And what is 4? Is that the same as 34?
    I am so happy for you! I can't wait to get into smaller clothes and start shopping again. You know I am trying to keep myself from buying stuff right now! lol not going too well! I am so happy to be just 35 lbs away from 130 lbs!! I am 1 month post surgery, I am too excited! lol
    Oh, I just checked my shirts and one said that 48 equals 16 in american sizes.

I'm looking forward to enjoy trying on new clothed cuz so far I still hate it.
    I can't wait to be able to try on anything I want and know it will look ok. I'm just beginning to be able to shop in the "normal" size shops and it feels so good. It's so good to hear that you've lost all you want to and have kept it off for so long. Well done
    I too, always felt like I was settling for "the least ugly" option. That is a sad but true fact when you are fat. My husband told me that he likes this cranberry colored shirt I was wearing today. I never used to wear that color, because I just wore the same 6 or so items (all dark) because I felt like they camoflouged what was underneath the best and it was too exhausting (emotionally) to go try to find something else to add to my limited wardrobe.
    I'm so thankful to be trying new colors, finding new curves, dropping in sizes and actually (I thought it was impossible) feeling attractive again. It almost makes me want to cry tears of joy....
    Thanks for bringing it up, rainbow!
    Oh, how I can't wait to begin shopping and really "enjoy" what I am doing. As always, I love your postings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalena
    Good for you! I'm at the point that my current clothes are starting to fit instead of being too tight. I refused to buy a larger size because I knew I was getting sleeved. I'm a size 48 now, northern european size, but I have no idea what that is in American sizes. And what is 4? Is that the same as 34?
    I am not sure Lalena, but to help give you perspective size 4 is the size of a small teenage girl, or even a child!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anamor2011
    I am so happy for you! I can't wait to get into smaller clothes and start shopping again. You know I am trying to keep myself from buying stuff right now! lol not going too well! I am so happy to be just 35 lbs away from 130 lbs!! I am 1 month post surgery, I am too excited! lol
    Anamore, You were the one who inspired my blog today! You and your cute new boots!I couldn't help but remember how excited i was to realize i could actually wear boots!(my calves had been too fat and i just couldn't get them on) Now i have 3 pair!! Hope you have fun showing off your new figure in your new dress at the wedding! It just keeps getting better and better!
    It's stories like this that bring tears to my eyes. Tears of happiness for you and for myself of what the future holds. Congrats on your success and may you have many happy years of shopping and great health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    I am not sure Lalena, but to help give you perspective size 4 is the size of a small teenage girl, or even a child!
    Ok, so I think US4=EU34 and US18=EU48 (a 2nd shirt said that 16 equals 46, so even the manufacturers aren't sure lol)

Then 34 is really tiny.

Did you loose you weight quickly in the beginning? Cause mine is going pretty slow. I'm down to 201 today coming from 218 in November. I'm 5ft 0"
    I had to break down and buy new bra's and panties. Mine were falling off. The rest of my clothes I will just have to find a nice consignment shop. Good thing I wear cheap scrubs to work every day.
    Rainbow....tell us what you are eating these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNurse
    Rainbow....tell us what you are eating these days.
    Well, I eat absolutely ANYTHING i want to. Before you freak out about this let me clarify the most Important part. I did not say any AMOUNT i want to, they are two entirely different things! I have found it very helpful to use very small plates or bowls. I live in fear of stretching out my sleeve and gaining weight, So i really try hard to not serve myself more then i know my stomach can hold. I am happy to say that after about a year i could eat more. About double what i could that first year. It is a much more satisfying amount both physically and psychologically. I still dont Drink my calories, I drink 2-4 cups of coffee with milk a day. and for hydration issues i use Propell water (no calories) and Diet Gatorade. If i drink a carbonated bev i still choose diet, but dont like the gas. I can eat a whole slice of pizza now as long as i do it slowly and chew really well! the thing is i will ALWAYS want more! I snack every couple hours on trail mix, chex mix, nuts, rice cakes.
    That's the golden rule I thinkg: portion size!
    Rainbow....how much do you eat at one time? 4 oz? 6 oz?
    Sometimes 4 oz sometimes 6 oz sometime 10 oz sometimes 12 oz (then puke my guts out) i am most comfortable at about 6-8. For some reason i can eat chex mix and pretzels little hard dry things really well can nibble quite a large amount. soft bread not so much. Pudding, yoghurt , oatmeal,cream of wheat mashed potatoes aprox 4-6 oz they all do really well. Raw vegatbles simply not worth it 3 bites and thats it, and painful sometimes, but cooked and mushy are great and can eat alot more! Same with my meat. Soft white fish is the best i can eat a lot of it! I can drink a 6 oz hot cup of coffee or tea in 15-20 min. But it takes me 1-3 hours to drink 10 oz of cold water or cold bev. if i drink more then 2 oz cold bev at a time it Immediately shoots back up! I find it helpful to use a straw. But i do get thirsty some times and taking a large drink is something i really miss. Tonight for dinner i had small 2oz serving of Lasgana, 5 oz of soft-cooked cauliflower (with Lots of butter!) after my meal set and i could eat again i snaked on "pub mix" from costo. (its a cracker bagel chip pretzel mix) Thats a pretty typical night for me, but if i want to sometimes i have something sweet. I never met a cookie i didn't like!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescued-one
    I too, always felt like I was settling for "the least ugly" option. That is a sad but true fact when you are fat. My husband told me that he likes this cranberry colored shirt I was wearing today. I never used to wear that color, because I just wore the same 6 or so items (all dark) because I felt like they camoflouged what was underneath the best and it was too exhausting (emotionally) to go try to find something else to add to my limited wardrobe.
    I'm so thankful to be trying new colors, finding new curves, dropping in sizes and actually (I thought it was impossible) feeling attractive again. It almost makes me want to cry tears of joy....
    Thanks for bringing it up, rainbow!
    Rescued one, I know what you mean about Dark clotheing my husban got so sick of me constantly wearing Black! And anything with a print? FAGETABOUTIT! It has been so much fun to try on and pick out new colors and styles! One of the funnest things is trying on Evening Gowns! It makes me feel like a princess!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    Rescued one, I know what you mean about Dark clotheing my husban got so sick of me constantly wearing Black! And anything with a print? FAGETABOUTIT! It has been so much fun to try on and pick out new colors and styles! One of the funnest things is trying on Evening Gowns! It makes me feel like a princess!
    Yeah so true. I don't wear anything with a print and a coloured shirt is hidden under a black vest or blazer.
    And if I get my hands on an item that fits well, I would buy it in different colours just to have a few more items of clothing in my closet.
    At six months out how much had you lost? You look amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2four
    At six months out how much had you lost? You look amazing!
    well by 6 months i had lost about 80 lbs.... But was very sick, ALL my hair fell out i would not recommend losing that fast. If you read my blog titled my long painful struggle it explains. Thank you for saying i look great, i feel great! 10 lbs a month is a much healthier goal to shoot for!
    I'm loosing about 1 to 1,5 lbs per week. Very slow, but no hairloss
    End of the year I hope to be 50 lbs smaller. Lost so far: 20 lbs.

We all travel on our own path, guess I'm taking the scenic route!
    I went shopping again and pulled out 8 diferent things to try on, you know, in hopes that at least 2 or 3 would fit and i would have a couple to choose from! and was AMAZED that every single thing fit PERFECTLY! so i had to choose from 8 things that all looked Fabulous! That NEVER happens! but the feeling was incredible, what a great problem to have!
    Thats amazing I can not wait to start really shopping I am nervous for my bank account though haha
    That is truly amazing. I can relate to the plus size clothes, and to be frank - im tired of paying $2.00 more for plus size verses normal size.
    omg! I can totally eat more than that now.... I have been very bad lately too, eating and drinking at the same time, eating too much and eating the wrong things. I started over with the pouch test as of yesterday, to try to get back on track. I don't exercise a lot or regularly, but I'm working on that too.
    Oh, and Rainbow, you look amazing! Like a different person...but you have for a while now. You're sooooo little, lol. I don't think I'll make that small, since I'm 5'4" and medium boned. I'll be happy with 150, if I can get there, lol.