Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bradearly

3 weeks to surgery today.... To eat anything and everything or start easing into eating less? What did you do?

Rate this Entry
I have a Feb 7 surgery. What to do. Part of me wants to eat everything while I still can, but the other part is like this is how you got here.

Submit "3 weeks to surgery today....  To eat anything and everything or start easing into eating less?   What did you do?" to Digg Submit "3 weeks to surgery today....  To eat anything and everything or start easing into eating less?   What did you do?" to del.icio.us Submit "3 weeks to surgery today....  To eat anything and everything or start easing into eating less?   What did you do?" to StumbleUpon Submit "3 weeks to surgery today....  To eat anything and everything or start easing into eating less?   What did you do?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I ran into a similar conundrum and opted to start the liquid diet early. I did give myself 1 day to have anything I wanted. This worked very well for me. My thought was to try to get to my goal weight quicker and not lament about not having KFC or other foods. Over the years I had done the "last meal before the diet starts tour" and it always ended the same way. I want this to be a success. Good luck on your choice either way.
    I just started making my portions smaller and smaller. That way when I got to the liquid stage I didn't have much to worry about in the way that I was dying of hunger or anything. There are a couple of people here that woke up after surgery saying they were hungry and wanted food....I couldn't even stomach the thought of food. Couldn't even eat my Popsicle. I'm still struggling to get in my water. Or any water for that matter. I did have a good funeral. My boyfriend took me to the melting pot 3 days before I started my liquids. It seemed to help. Good luck!
    I began thinking of my last suppers...one wonderful mother made dinner, one last fast food, and maybe a sweet treat if you have the sweet tooth. Don't go crazy and binge leading up to surgery- it'll be just more weight to lose, but plan for and ENJOY those last few meals as much as you can! Good luck to you!
    Originally I chose this date so superbowl Sunday would kind of be my last super. So I've had a party planned at our new house, and....... I start my liquid diet on superbowl saturday. Oh the irony. I think it's gods way of saying your strong enough to go through surgery you can watch a superbowl without stuffing your face. Originally wasn't going to tell a whole bunch of people but I know it's going to be the elephant in the room on that day. Oh well. Doing good things. I'm definitely doing sushi before I start my diet. Love that stuff
    This forum is awesome by the way. I have gained strength and courage in ways that I never expected to. Thanks for responding.
    I already told my hubby once I get approved and before I have to do the pre-op liquids, I am definitely going to a few of my favorite restaurants and I definitely want to get a few foods that I've read are probably not going to happen again. To celebrate my new way of life and an end to the old ways!
    I had an 8 day pre-op diet. My daughter's birthday was the day before surgery and my last day of school was the day before the pre-op diet, so I justified doing a "last meal" and going out to eat as a family that way.
    I lucked out because my Mom and Stepdad got married on a Saturday, and I had my sleeve a week and a half later, they had some yummy food and cake at their wedding, so that was a fabulous "last meal"!...someone mentioned "Sushi" above... I miss it!... have not had it post sleeve yet, I'm afraid of all the rice! Have not had soda, bread or alcohol either, but don't miss those things
    I say give yourself one or two days to go nuts and eat all your favorite things and then start to reduce your portions sizes and adhere to the pre-op diet.

Bombshell - try sashimi if you miss sushi. You get all the great flavor without the rice.
    I enjoyed my favorite meals up until the time I started my pre op diet. I knew that I wouldn't be able to eat the same afterwards.
    Don't think of food as "this is the last time I will ever have it" because it will then become forbidden and your mind will want it more and more. Just begin making healthier choices in what you eat and watch your portion size. If you say "I no longer need or want this food because it is not nutritious" your mind will follow. I started doing this before my pre-op diet started and got my mind and body prepared and now 7 weeks post surgery I have no thoughts or desires for the junk food or fast food I used to love. Best of luck to you on your journey!!
    Create your good habits NOW. Work on eating the way you should post-op. It will make it so much easier on the liquid diet and post-op.

Also, do you really want to set yourself back that much further just for a little satisfaction now?

That was my thought process, and as soon as I found out, I kicked my butt into gear with eating right and being active. I've lost a good chunk of weight pre-op because of it, which puts me closer to goal AND makes the surgery that much safer. Also, I'm having an easy time on my pre-op liquid only diet because I'm not horrifically tempted by the foods others around me are eating.. Because I'm used to lean protein and veggies now. It worked best for me!

Good luck!