Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

transformation

Jan 13th is the big day

Rate this Entry
I have gone thru roller coaster of feelings on this surgery from "it's about time I take control of my life" to the opposite of "what if I can't handle the pain and something goes really wrong".

There are several factors causing me to second guess this decision regarding some family and friends I have placed in a virtual timeout for not supporting me when I need it the most.

I have been going thru tons of youtube and blog/topic entries to calm my nerves and see that this site has lots of wonderful supporters. I need all you wise post-op sleevers to help calm my nerves these next few days and let me know it will all be okay.

Submit "Jan 13th is the big day" to Digg Submit "Jan 13th is the big day" to del.icio.us Submit "Jan 13th is the big day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jan 13th is the big day" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats and welcome surgery buddy! I am going in circles preparing for my surgery date on 1/13 also! I think everyone has reservations re this procedure because 1. It is major surgery 2. It is life changing.
    I have found several you tubers and personal friends that have gone through and have had several concerns eased.
    I say prayer is the key!
    Here's to NEW BEGINNINGS!
    Congratulations in getting your date! I had my surgery November 20th and feel great! I was nervous too and I had the support of all of my family and friends. I think it's normal for us to feel this way. The benefits far out weigh the gas pains and change in eating habits. Please do what YOU want to do and no one else. You don't want you to get my age and wish you had done it. Best of luck to you! I hope things go well and we are here to answer any questions etc. Take care!
    Congrats and welcome. I had my surgery 8/5/13 and there are still family members I cannot discuss this surgery with.
    I feel the exact same way! My surgery is on Jan. 15 and I am constantly going through the "what ifs" I had my final pre-op appt today and I am currently doing the diet, start liquids on Sunday. I'm just so scared of the surgery part and the recovery.
    You will be fine! If you have faith in your surgeon and your hospital you should be fine. I did ALOT of research before I had my surgery. This site & you tube were my best friends for getting info. I'm a worrier naturally but I had faith in my surgeon,the hospital & God to get me through anything. Thankfully I had no complications and my recovery was textbook so I was really glad I did my research & prepared myself. Good luck to you & we're here to support you through everything. I'll pray you have a successful surgery & recovery.
    I am also being sleeved on the 13th...I am having the opposite problem, I dont feel nervous or scared, for some reason it is the furthest thing on my mind...wondering if I am in denial or something...am sure I will be nervous just not yet...but I think we are at the right place to get the support and advice we need...just breathe...hope all goes well for us on Monday
    Good luck, I'm on 16th and nerves are kicking in but all the normal natural thoughts! Just think we will be encouraging lots of others in the not too distant future, I'm soooooo excited about 2014 ! Xxx
    You all are so super sweet! This is the support that I was looking for. I have been a bundle of nerves for days and broke down and sobbed twice yesterday. My fear of the post op pain might be a bit irrational because of a most horrendous spine surgery experience a few months ago. I have had debilitating pain for many years and having a spinal fusion and waking up screaming in uncontrolled pain has honestly given me a bit of PTSD. I am a tough nut, having endured many surgeries, couple broken bones (I'm a clutz and fell in the most ungraceful public way), and yet that last spine surgery has altered my view on pain management and put a truly scary lens on how much pain I think I will have when I wake up from this surgery. Because of my spine issues and being out of work now I thought finally, time to fix the weight problem totally exacerbated due to the spine issues. I KNOW less weight (65 lbs) will hugely improve low back pain because of mid section weight now. I know I will be happier returning to a leaner me. I know I will be able to get off of several meds. I know the benefits, but this fear of pain and getting proper nutrients has just scared the crap out of me last week. I live alone and so there is fear of pulling my own weight (ba da dap) once family members leave after week 1 post op. Ack. Venting and putting it all out there. Thanks so much for listening.
    Let's trade 50% of my fear for 50% of your calmness. LOL I wish I was more at ease. In all honestly my doctor is prescribing some xanax for me to quell my over-anxiety before Monday.
    So glad everything went well for you. I love hearing stories of success. Some of my family is supportive in a limited way and the others are not understanding why I just can't stop eating and exercise more. I am so tired of explaining how my spinal conditions limit a lot of physical activity and eating too much is something that after many many years of doing is not undone by will-power alone. I really look forward to seeing everyone's progress, along with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by novastarr
    I feel the exact same way! My surgery is on Jan. 15 and I am constantly going through the "what ifs" I had my final pre-op appt today and I am currently doing the diet, start liquids on Sunday. I'm just so scared of the surgery part and the recovery.
    It's hard to not think of all the negative what ifs, especially since I am self pay and will have no insurance back ups if complications. I am trying to focus focus focus on wonderful lean outcomes. A healthier me, on less medications, feeling less back pain, and being more outgoing again in every aspect of life. Let's raise a protein shake in cheers to this healthy adventure we are embarking on. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Short&Sassy
    Congrats and welcome surgery buddy! I am going in circles preparing for my surgery date on 1/13 also! I think everyone has reservations re this procedure because 1. It is major surgery 2. It is life changing.
    I have found several you tubers and personal friends that have gone through and have had several concerns eased.
    I say prayer is the key!
    Here's to NEW BEGINNINGS!
    My surgery is also scheduled for 1/13! I am flying in to San Diego from San Antonio and will arrive there at 1:40. I will be there waiting for the 3 PM pick up. I have been thinking about having this surgery for two years! Can't wait.
    See you there.
    Mine is 1/13 too, had my pre-op appointment today. Can't wait to get that part behind me... Looking forward only
    I too had spinal surgery, 3 times for me, and I was more nervous about my vsg then I was about my fusions. I knew I had to do something, my mobility was getting worse. My doctors, pain, psychiatrist, and spinal surgeon all say this will not relieve my back issues but it should keep it from getting worse and help all of my other joints.

Good luck to you, and happy losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieIt
    I too had spinal surgery, 3 times for me, and I was more nervous about my vsg then I was about my fusions. I knew I had to do something, my mobility was getting worse. My doctors, pain, psychiatrist, and spinal surgeon all say this will not relieve my back issues but it should keep it from getting worse and help all of my other joints.

Good luck to you, and happy losing.
    This is so interesting and close to my heart. I cannot believe that they all said that weight loss won't help alleviate pain on back and joints, and prevent the next levels from rupturing next to the fused ones. I have 60-70 lbs to loose and much of that belly fat stressing that fused lumbar section. I had mine fused 4 months ago and not wasting any more time bet fat, feeling bad with the chronic pain, and isolated socially due to low my body image.

How did your back feel after the VSG? Meaning, did having surgery on your core affect back pain during recovery?
    Just to let you know, the surgery for me was not that painful. I had a wisdom tooth out a few years back that caused me more pain. The hard part is actually eating (and stopping before you overdo it)
    Quote Originally Posted by transformation
    It's hard to not think of all the negative what ifs, especially since I am self pay and will have no insurance back ups if complications. I am trying to focus focus focus on wonderful lean outcomes. A healthier me, on less medications, feeling less back pain, and being more outgoing again in every aspect of life. Let's raise a protein shake in cheers to this healthy adventure we are embarking on. :-)
    Not sure of your insurance but I have Aetna and I too am self pay. I checked with Aetna prior to surgery and got confirmation (in writing) that if there were any complications with the surgery that required additional treatment or hospital stay, it would be covered by insurance even though I was self pay. That did a lot to put my mind at ease.