Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

aboutime4me

Day 609 after sleeve surgery and LOVING IT!

Rate this Entry
It's the end of another calendar year for all of us and I just wanted to share my personal experience and journey with my best friend, my sleeve. I was sleeved 609 days ago and am absolutely in LOVE with my best friend!

I dropped 95 lbs in about 11 months after surgery and have been easily maintaining my weight loss within 2-3 lbs of my lowest weight ever since.

My surgery was uncomplicated, I had not real after problems and pretty steadily dropped the pounds over the following months. I am at my high school weight, which was when I graduated in 1976. I'm 55 years old and have more energy and stamina now than before surgery, that's for darned sure.

I have finished doing a radio commercial, a tv commercial and youtube video for my surgeon that will be aired some time here in Las Vegas within the next few months. I've also done a magazine ad and have come across my before/after picture advertising my surgeon while searching the web. It has been one awesome journey and I would NEVER go back!!!!

For those wondering if you should take this step...YES YES YES! Squarely looking at the possible complications post surgery compared to a probably shortened life span because of my morbid obesity, along with the high cholesterol and blood pressure issues I was having...the only thing I faced was most likely an early grave. Now, all that has changed and I have more than a fighting chance to reach my dad's age who is currently 91 and a half years young!

I've referred two people to my surgeon and they have since had surgery: one with the sleeve and the other with the lapband.

Yes, life is truly what you make it! I thank God each and every day that I was blessed with having the insurance that covered the bulk of the cost. Without it, I would still be morbidly obese and getting heavier by the minutes.

What has changed besides my body...my outlook on the future. Now, there is a future to look forward to. I will be here to share this life with my husband, family and friends.

I still have days when I "feel" FAT and have to look at myself in the mirror and realize that fat woman is gone forever. One of my greatest joys is going to the closet each day and getting dressed, deciding what to wear. My poor shopping budget has been shot to hell, but that's ok by my husband!

Psychologically my relationship with all things food has changed greatly. My extreme love affair with all things SWEET, chocolate, ooey and gooey has changed. I still have the cookie or chip if I want, the bit of cake or ice cream, but it's so little now...just tastes and I am truly satisfied.

I am happy to say that even though I can eat more of some solid proteins and foods than I did after surgery and the first 6 months or so, I have never really and truly experienced HUNGER since the day of surgery. That is basically gone from my life. AMEN!!!!! Another great blessing of the sleeve, for me.

I could go on and on but will stop here. I have been truly blessed as I've said before and try not to take that blessing for granted.

My mission now is to spread the good news and word about the sleeve and the benefits of bariatric surgery, especially for us "older" folks who thought we'd go through our entire lives fighting obesity, morbid obesity, losing and finding those pesky pounds, over and over, etc.

Here's to a great 2014 for everyone here....be blessed and know you're NEVER alone on this journey. We are all here with you.

Submit "Day 609 after sleeve surgery and LOVING IT!" to Digg Submit "Day 609 after sleeve surgery and LOVING IT!" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 609 after sleeve surgery and LOVING IT!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 609 after sleeve surgery and LOVING IT!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your inspirational story. My sleeve has changed my life for the better as well. I feel so blessed to have this opportunity.
    Okay, so I know how you took 25 or 30 years off your body, but would you mind explaining how you took 25 years off your face?
    Awesome! Thanks for the update. Its always uplifting to hear positive stories from people a few years out. I'm happy for you that its been this great of an experience.
    And you look outstanding for 55!
    Did you have plastic surgery? Your arms are beautiful!
    This made me feel so optimistic about my surgery coming up in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year!
    I would have to say when I was growing up I always looked older for my age, Now I look younger than I am which truly works out to my advantage. I can't take any real credit for that...must be great genes on both sides of the lineage. Yeah mom and dad! Oh yes, I've never had any kids so perhaps that accounts for some of it too! I've had stresses of other kinds over the years instead, especially as a teacher for some of those years.
    Anyhow...I haven't had any surgery and my underarms tricep areas droop but you can't see it in the picture here. All in all, I could have surgery there and a tummy tuck and lipo here and there, but I wear my body with its foibles proudly. No surgery for me.
    yah congrats as for me a blessing my cravings are gone and that is such a blessing cause I use to be hungry all the time. you look faboulous. How much weight have you lost. did you excercise at all?
    You look amazing! What an inspiration!