Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mandy's Medley

Coffee Drinkers

Rate this Entry
I just wanted to talk about coffee. I wasn't a big coffee drinker before getting sleeved and not until recently did I really start drinking it. I have discovered a way to have my protein in my coffee and it tastes way better than mixing it in milk in my opinion.
First of all, I love hazelnut coffee, and I get decaf. It's hard to find a coffee like that in my local stores, and I've tried others, but I believe the hazelnut to be the best. I've been largely off of caffeine for the last year (I may have a small sip of my moms diet coke or my husbands sprite if I don't have anything, but that is very rare), and don't want to have to go through the withdrawal period if I were to get back on it, so decaf it is .
Second, I have to be very, very finnicky about how I mix in my protein powder in it. Anybody who has tried to put protein powder in a hot liquid finds out real quick that it curdles/clumps up on you and will not mix properly. This is not good eats/drinks. I have done this many times and have even tried to salvage it by scooping the clumps out, but it is not the same. I have a method now that seems to work the majority of the time (I'd give it about 98% success rate). My routine/method goes a little something like this:
1. Brew the coffee and boil some water. I brew my coffee while I am in the shower, and have a tea kettle on medium/medium low to boil water at the same time. (I have an insulated travel mug and the interior is metal that I drink my coffee out of and trust me the boiling water is a must). By the time I get out of the shower, both are ready.
2. Pour the coffee into a blender bottle (about 12-16 ounces is what I do) and pour your boiling water into your travel mug. Since mine is metal, if I skip this step, even if the protein powder is well incorporated into the coffee itself, the protein will clump up and stick to the sides of the mug. Again, not good eats/drinks. DO NOT ADD YOUR PROTEIN POWDER TO YOUR COFFEE YET. Just let your coffee sit and chill in the blender bottle till you finish getting ready (leave the lid off). Same for the boiling water. Leave it in the mug till you are ready to put your coffee in it.
3. After I finish getting ready I go to mix my protein powder into my coffee. I prefer the bariatric advantage vanilla or chocolate powder, but have made it with others that were very good also (unjury being one of them ). The chocolate gives the coffee a very deep flavor, while the vanilla is like your typical cream/sugar. I put my two scoops in and then drop in the wire ball and shake the devil out of it. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that you vent (open the pour cap) the blender bottle after the first few shakes and I recommend putting a towel/paper towel around it when you do. It will blow up if you do not and you will have a big mess to clean up. I do this several times during the shaking process just to make sure my bottle isn't going to blow up on me. Trust me, after it happens the first time, you make sure it doesn't happen again.
4. After your coffee and protein powder are mixed thoroughly, it's time to finally pour that hot water out of the travel mug that you are using. I just pour mine back into the kettle for use the next time. Add your coffee to the now warm travel mug and enjoy!
How I liked my coffee before I discovered that I could mix protein powder in it would make a diabetic cringe. I had to have it very sweet. I liked a little coffee with my cream and sugar. Imagine a small mcdonalds cup of coffee. When I worked there, I would put no less than 9 (yes, 9) packs of sugar, along with 2 creams and fill up the coffee to about a quarter inch from the brim and then put a dollop of ice cream in it. Granted, I drank coffee very rarely back in the day, but when I did it had to be very sweet. After discovering that I could mix my protein powder in my coffee I don't add anything but that. The protein powder acts as all the creamer and sweetener I need! I was so ecstatic to discover that!

Submit "Coffee Drinkers" to Digg Submit "Coffee Drinkers" to del.icio.us Submit "Coffee Drinkers" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coffee Drinkers" to Google

Comments

I will try this whenever I get my sleeve done. I love coffee so I will do this and plus I was wondering if you could still drink coffee while eating and doing better health hazards for yourself. Thanks for this, this is awesome to share and know.
    Thanks for the idea!!
    thats a whole lot of work to get protein in my coffee. yikes.
    I take Isopure chocolate protein powder. And put hot water in it, It mixes really well. Then I add a dash of cinnamon. I found I like this better. I've tried the Unjury and didn't like the taste of theirs
    Worth a try, I think as long as you don't exceed 130 - 140 degrees depending on your protein powder you are safe. I tend to brew a pot of coffee maybe twice a week, and then just microwave what I want when I want it. It would save the whole cooling off step - just don't overheat it.
    I am glad it works for you!
    Try Click Coffee! Its a coffee/protein drink - you can get decaf as well. 15 grams of protein per packet (which makes a 12-14 oz cup of coffee). you can get it online at drinkclick.com . I tried it and thought it was pretty good. You can also buy a sample pack for a few bucks - worth a try
    oh lord that makes me tired just to read that lol. BUT i applaud your commitment to getting in your protein. that commitment will help you succeed. enjoy your new life and thanks for sharing the tip. you never know who it might inspire ! -gordita
    Yeah, Marvinator it is a bit excessive, but I stick with what works lol . I will have to look that up lg91077, I've never heard of it but it sounds great! SuddenlySlimmerSusan that's a good idea if you have a regular size coffee pot. Since I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee I just got one of the 5 cup pots and brew about 3 1/2 cups at a time. Nisa7 I would make sure with my nut about when you would be able to drink coffee. I know sometimes it can sour your stomach if it's close to your surgery date because of the acid in it. I'm not sure on the time line, but I was about 6 months out when I started this (not saying it can't be done sooner though ). Good luck girl!