Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Law-Lda

Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:

Rate this Entry
Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:
The effects of gastric bypass surgeries include less food intake and a lower level of nutrient absorption. This condition may lead to malnutrition, so it is necessary to compensate with vitamins and supplements.

***My weight loss Journey - Gastric Sleeve Results.
My Blog Spot: www.surgerygastricsleeve.blogspot.*com
12-13-2013, 4 month post op Gastric Sleeve SurgeryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Gastric Sleeve.jpg 
Views:	13117 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	16155
I have lost 60+ pounds since July 2013.
I had my gastric sleeve on August 13, 2013. — feeling happy. ***

It has been observed that anemia, pernicious anemia, vitamin deficiencies and osteoporosis are common in many people who have undergone this surgery. Many nutritionists, who advise people regarding post gastric bypass surgery diet, are aware of this fact and plan the diet accordingly, but some may overlook it. Some health experts also suggest a diet consisting of certain food items like spinach, peas, fish and meat, which are good sources of vitamins and minerals. This, however, may not be a viable solution for the problem, since the patient may not be able to consume large quantities of the food required to get sufficient nutrition. So, supplements and vitamins for gastric bypass patients are unavoidable, to improve their health.
The most important among the supplements is iron. Men should take a daily dose of 100 to 200 milligrams of ferrous sulfate or ferrous gluconate, whereas menstruating women should take 300 to 350 milligrams per day. It has been observed that the efficiency of the body to absorb iron is enhanced by the presence of vitamin C, so a daily dose of 60 milligrams of vitamin C is also recommended. If you are already anemic, you may need a daily dosage of 500 milligrams of vitamin C.
Vitamins from the B group are also very essential, especially vitamin B12. This vitamin is necessary to avoid pernicious anemia and to avoid the consequences of high levels of homocysteine, a naturally occurring amino acid. This amino acid is beneficial to the body, if present in small quantities. In large quantities, they hinder some bodily reactions, which are responsible for the removal of neural toxins. Low levels of vitamins in the body result in large amounts of homocysteine, which affects memory power and thinking ability. According to experts, a weekly dose of 1000 micrograms of vitamin B12, a daily dose of 300 milligrams of vitamin B6, and 5 milligrams of folic acid should be taken for two months.
While calcium is also very essential to rule out the possibility of osteoporosis, vitamins D and K are equally important. Vitamin D regulates the level of calcium in the body and ensures that the calcium is used to make the bones strong. This function is also undertaken by vitamin K. Strong bones are created due to the joint efforts of both these vitamins, without which the bones cannot make use of the calcium in the body. You can get vitamin D from some food items. It is also produced in the skin, as a result of sun exposure. There is no supplement for vitamin K, as it is produced in the body itself, but its production can be triggered by some food items. While an alkali diet may help you with vitamin D and K, 600 milligrams of calcium a day is needed for the health of your bones.
So,make sure that the diet consists of vitamins for gastric bypass patients as well as other supplements. Consulting a physician regularly to check the levels of essential nutrients in your blood.

Submit "Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:" to Digg Submit "Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:" to del.icio.us Submit "Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vitamins After Gastric Surgery:" to Google

Comments

I am over a year post-op and with the gastric sleeve we still have our stomachs and don't have the malnutrition like with they bypass or band. Since 3 months post op all I take is a single Costco brand multi-vitamin and ALL my vit levels for my blood tests are middle of the road no need for extra supplements as long as I eat correctly - 70-80% protein and the balance in carb/veggie.