Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mrsanders3960

I am no longer in the 300lbs club.

Rate this Entry
I have not been here in a while but Hopefully this story will inspire others.
When my story begins (in late 2009), I weighed in at an overwhelming 503 pounds. Soon after, I had a major car accident and totaled my 2002 Honda Civic coupe. After the accident it occurred to me: what would have happened if I had not been able to escape the car and it had burst into flames? What if the fire department could not have cut me out and I had died? In the accident my knee went through the center stack console dash. The weight of my massive body plus the force of the impact broke the seat and the seat belt harness. That day I left my house and began walking because I did not know what else to do. I was so ashamed of who I’d become and was completely filled with emotions I did not know how to resolve. I walked until I could not walk anymore and then returned home. From that day forward, I walked in the rain, the heat, the cold, the ice...every day for a year. By the end of the year I was walking 4 miles a day and best of all had lost 98 pounds!

Then, my personal life crumbled and I went through a divorce. The stress and emotional impact took its toll on me and I gained back 45 pounds. I was determined to start again, however, my knees and back were devastated from carrying around that much excess weight for so long. My body was giving up: I’d been a diabetic for 12 years and it was getting worse. On top of this, I had a ruptured disk in my back, both knees were arthritic, my cholesterol crept into the 350 range, my kidneys were showing signs of wear, I had severe sleep apnea and high blood pressure! Most heartbreaking of all, I was alone and miserable. While going through an old box I retrieved a picture of my dad who died in 1996 of a heart attack due to heart disease. Then and there I determined I was not going to give up and pledged to outlive his 40 years. So, in 2010 at 33 years of age, I walked into Dr Kim's office tipping the scale at 438 pounds and thus began my journey. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself, my family and friends.

After witnessing my success, many people around me have determined to live life again, improve their health and change for the better. After only one year post-op I have lost 141 pounds. And an amazing 206 pounds since the accident!!! I no longer have any of the health issues I suffered from previously. I am no longer the fat guy, or “Big Mike” as I have affectionately been referred to for the last 25 years. Now,I am an athlete. In the last year I have completed a 5k, have accomplished almost 600 miles on a bicycle in 5 months and have begun an exercise regiment that has me working out 4-6 days a week. I have gone from a pant waist size 62 to a 38 and from a 6X shirt to an XL.

I am very proud of my accomplishments and very happy for the day I saw Nate Newton talking about his experience with Dr David Kim. I hope one day to meet him and thank him for telling his story which changed my life. Who knows, maybe we could take a 20 mile ride together! I understand he is an avid cyclist as well. Thank you, Dr. Kim and the "Live Life Again" staff, for all your support and encouragement. Thank you for giving me back my life!

Sincerely
Mike "no longer Bigmike" Sanders
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before_and_After_(2010-2013).png 
Views:	1502 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	15881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before_and_after_bdays.png 
Views:	660 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	15882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biking_001.png 
Views:	607 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	15883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130822_100351.jpg 
Views:	948 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	15884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me.png 
Views:	689 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	15885  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_bike.png 
Views:	613 
Size:	1,005.5 KB 
ID:	15886  

Submit "I am no longer in the 300lbs club." to Digg Submit "I am no longer in the 300lbs club." to del.icio.us Submit "I am no longer in the 300lbs club." to StumbleUpon Submit "I am no longer in the 300lbs club." to Google

Comments

What a great story!!! Best wishes!!!
    Wow! You have a success story. I am so happy for you. You took a stand for yourself and that is what it takes. I had my surgery on July 2, 2013 and have lost "87 pounds" I feel great. We believed in ourselves. I am proud of you, and thanks for sharing your story. Great pics, "you look great".
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!
    Congratulations on all the hard work you have put in. You look absolutely amazing. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Awesome and inspiring story! You look great!
    So inspiring the best story that inspired me great job and keep it up u look amazing with awsome smile be proud and happy
    Thanks for sharing this with us
    Now u are MIGHTY MIKE SANDERS ! U look incredible! Great job!!! Hugs!
    Mighty Mike!!! Love that Sooo inspiring, thank you for taking the time to share your story. I wish you happiness. I hope to share an awesome story some day also.
    Great story!!! Continued Success!
    Wow! So happy for you! Thank you for sharing your story!!
    What an amazing story and so beautifully told! Congratulations on all that you have accomplished and on being such an inspiration to others!
    Wow, that's great, u look awesome! Keep up the great work!
    What an inspiring story! Congratulations on all your hard work - obviously it is paying off!
    You are an inspiration to everyone, congratulations on getting your life back & finding your happy self.
    Thank you – I feel very privileged to read your story.
    Damn you look skinny! Keep up the excellent work!
    (my friend used Dr Kim)
    I'm so impressed with your story! Thanks for sharing with us. I never met you and I feel proud of you!
    Your story is sooooooooooooo inspiring. Your hard work and dedication to your life is amazing. Your truth hits very close to home and I must thank you for story. Please come back and keep us posted. Your post will not soon be forgotten.
    Congratulations!!!! Thank you for sharing YOUR story, you never know who you may have inspired and saved their life as well.
    Thank you for sharing your story! You are truly an inspiration to the rest of us...
    Your story is so inspirational. I am so happy to read that you have gotten your life back. You are out there, livin to the fullest and I think that is wonderful! You look fantastic, lil Mike!
    Your story made me cry and inspired me for so many reasons! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Enjoy life and live it to the fullest! Keep in touch!
    Awesome!! You truly are an inspiration!!!
    Thanks for the great read! What an inspiration
    LOVE your story; and your pix. thanks for sharing. love that you've become an athlete. my husband will not mind my saying that you are very handsome RegularSizeMike : ) -gordita
    Mike, your story is very inspirational to me. Thank you for sharing. I love to see people who have lost so much weight. It keeps it real for all of us. Super Job!!!!
    What a great story!!!!! Thank you for sharing your HOPE, with us.....Thank you.....

PS You got a brother tearing up here.......
    Awesome story! You look great.
    You did amazing, I see that big smile. I can't wait till I hit the 300 mark too, down 61.5 from 400 and it feels wonderful doesnt it? You look so much happier, good luck on your ongoing journey.