Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bejeweled

Not in control! AKA I'm screwing up!

Rate this Entry
Oh God, please...I'll be good, I promise. Please...just go ahead and vomit already.

This was me not five minutes ago, standing over the toilet in my master bathroom, spitting desperately into the toilet as my mouth flooded with mucus and saliva. My stomach is on strike, roiling and festering as I have had too much food (granola) and liquid (diet iced tea) all at once.

I'm trying to do this quietly...I don't want my husband to hear. He will freak out and fuss and he doesn't need to..SHOULD NOT do that right now.

You see, he had a mini-stroke (TIA) last Saturday night. And since then, I have been Wonder Woman/Rescue Ranger - I saw him when it happened, ran him through the basic diagnostic tests (smile, raise your arms, speak, look for drool and one side of the face being slack), & called 911 to get him to the hospital. I went went with him and quizzed the doctors, got all of the test and answers straight, informed family here, brought him home from the hospital, arranged an emergency appt with our primary doc the next day, drove him there, coordinated his new meds and continuing care with our primary doc, got him his new drugs & his at home blood pressure cuff and glucose meter, took him to followup doctor's appts and blood tests the following day. The third day I went to work, went to pick up my mom and aunt from the airport. The fourth day I picked up Thanksgiving Dinner and drove us to my parents' home after dropping off meds that I had picked up for another friend with them.

I am falling back into bad habits all over again. I run and race to help my loved ones because I am concerned for them and love them and I fail to take care of myself. I have been up all day without eating anything until after 4pm and by them I am STARVING so I eat...and eat...and eat too much for my poor little tummy now.

I can't do this to myself anymore. Unlike before where I just put on the extra weight quietly, now, it hurts...there is pain and saliva and mucus and vomiting. I did well on my cruise and at Thanksgiving but the stress is all catching up with me now...

Submit "Not in control! AKA I'm screwing up!" to Digg Submit "Not in control! AKA I'm screwing up!" to del.icio.us Submit "Not in control! AKA I'm screwing up!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Not in control! AKA I'm screwing up!" to Google

Comments

Just slow down and take a deep breath and say a little prayer. Everything will be fine.
    Oh, honey ... what an awful intersection of stressful events for you. So sorry.

It's time you learned a new word -- No. With a smile. And put some other words around it. Words like: "It would be great if I could do that. But at this time, given everything else on my plate, I have to say NO."

Repeat it. Repeat it. Repeat it. Make it your own. (And if you think you can say it better in your own words, figure out those words -- and then repeat those until you're comfortable with them.)

Also read the stuff at this link: How to Say No Without Feeling Guilty: 11 Steps (with Pictures)

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Ann
    I applaud you for everything you have been doing, and prayers that your husband has a full recovery.

Please remember that you are important also and if something happens to you, you will not be there to help or care for everyone else. I know, I have been there.
    Breathe, honey. Please don't add guilt to the tremendous stress you're under. You are one giant step ahead of the old you already: You recognize your old habits and you know where they lead.

If there is a protein bar out there you can stomach, keep some with you so you don't end up going all day without eating again. Pre-made protein shakes make quick meals as well. The hardest part will be learning to eat when you have time, not waiting to be hungry.

I moved in to take care of my mother in her final days and I understand that you can't always just say no when family needs you, but looking back, I also know now that I didn't have to do everything myself. Others were there who could have helped if I'd only asked--done the shopping, ran my errands, made a few extra meals for the freezer, or just stopped by to help with the housework. You don't have to be Superwoman. Please, if there's anyone who can give you the support you need right now, ask.

My prayers and best wishes for recovery for you and your husband.
    Take 30 min out of ur life and take a nice hot bath, it will do wonders and u can use that time to figure out how 2 nicely tell everyone that u need time 4 urself so ur not gonna b as readily available for them. Good luck 2 u
    hummmmm this sounds too familiar... instead of the husband it will be my twin girls and my god sister kids which i now have temp custody of ..... im starting the word NO now !!! of course what i can say to !!!.... your in my prayers suga
    You have a lot going on, but like others said, you'll have to carve out some time for yourself. You might have to set a timer on your phone to remind you to get your protein and other food in. You don't want to be standing over the toilet all the time!
    I understand, I once had this issue too. But it's important to remember that if YOU don't take good care of YOU, you won't be able to help those you love. Stay eouraged, and know that you're not alone.
    I understand running around for hubby, but you need to say no or have other family members make other plans rather than relying on you. Please take time for you!
    Don't freak out - it's completely understandable that you misjudge this very occasionally. I have thrown up maybe 3 or 4 times due to overeating since the surgery, and the last time was a couple of weeks ago when I got caught up in the dinner conversation and didn't monitor. Once I realised how uncomfortable I was feeling and the mucous and saliva started, I made myself be sick to get over it. Hasn't happened again.

It doesn't mean anything except that we fall into old habits when our mental energy is focused elsewhere. You won't do it many times before you start to consistently learn good habits.

Sending healing thoughts for your husband your way, and a virtual hug for you in keeping it all together in a difficult time.
    Be good to yourself. You deserve it too. Take care of yourself first, so that you can continue to take care of others.