Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

amazonia

Totally Let Down, AGAIN!

Rate this Entry
Well, after dealing with insurance changes for the last 2 years that have kept me from getting surgery, I am now at another roadblock. I just want to cry.

I completed a year with one clinic, but with new insurance I had to start at another clinic. So I completed 5 months there with my surgery schedule for this past week. Well, my insurance DROPPED weight loss surgery benefits on November 1st.

I seriously want to cry my eyes out. I have spent over a thousand dollars out of pocket on all the copays, c-pap machine, etc in the past two years, and now I can't even get my surgery. And the worst part of all, my credit isn't good enough for financing. I'm at 600 from a 430 two years ago, but it's still not good enough for financing.

Now I'm looking into surgery in other countries, but I have no idea where to begin. Does anyone here have any ideas or experiences with non-U.S. surgeons?

Submit "Totally Let Down, AGAIN!" to Digg Submit "Totally Let Down, AGAIN!" to del.icio.us Submit "Totally Let Down, AGAIN!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Totally Let Down, AGAIN!" to Google

Comments

I had my surgery in Mexico, at Hospitale Angeles. I don't have insurance, so I paid out of pocket. It cost $6000, a cost that covered a driver to take us back and forth across the border, up to five days in the hospital (I had my own room with a day bed for family, although it was really just a padded bench and my father does not recommend the experience), and aftercare medications. The hospital was clean and the staff friendly and professional. The bed was brutal, but that just encouraged me to get out of it and walk, walk, walk. I have no complaints.
    I'm so sorry. Are you sticking with this same insurance for 2014? I can only imagine how disappointing this is.

I had my sleeve in Tijuana, through Dr. Lopez. He is a great surgeon and there are other great surgeons here as well. I made sure I had a surgeon who caps off his surgeries at a reasonable number per day. Best of luck to you.
    My heart goes out to you! I wish and hope that something works out for you. I will add you to my prayers and please keep us posted. Don't give up! Hopefully, there is a way somehow.
    Sorry, that definitely sucks. You really did all they asked and then they screwed you. I feel badly for you.

I have great BC/BS health insurance, except we don't have the WLS rider so I was SOL. My local quotes were $25K plus although I later found that there are some places in the US where you can get it for ~ $10K.

I elected Dr. Fernando Garcia (Govea). I think the cost was just under $5K and it involved a real hospital and a beautiful recovery hotel in Tijuana. Did I want to go to Mexico? Not really but at the point I was looking at $25K for someone who has done ~ 50 sleeves vs. $5K for someone who h as done ~1K, it was a no-brainer because the more they do it the better they get. He has really good reviews so I felt comfortable. There are a lot of surgeons out there -- do your research.

You will get through it and find a way to reach your goal.
    2 years, girl you need to go to Mexico next week and get this thing over with so you can get on with your life. Just saying
    I went to Tijuana with Dr. Ramos Kelly and had a wonderful experience. My insurance doesn't pay for it either.
    Mexico... Obesity Control Center with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. I will spend about $7300 on plane tickets, hotel, transportation, 5 weeks of pre and post op protein shakes, and 2 months of vitamins and Meds. They are very low-pressure sales (they will not call or email you to try and book with them) so feel free to contact them with any questions.

They've done over 1200 sleeves and I have never read a negative review about them.