Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kenson

Getting Started

Rate this Entry
So, I’ve decided that I want to chronicle my journey. I have read so many other blogs on this site, and love when people tell the good and the bad of this surgery.

A little about me
I’m married, have a four-legged daughter named Morgan and live in NJ. I have been overweight most of my life (haven’t we all?) I’ve lost 70lbs twice in my life, but alas, did not keep it off. I had my thyroid removed and since then, I have trouble losing any weight AT ALL. Its so discouraging! So, after seeing the results on a friend and my cousin, I began researching the sleeve. There are several people at my job who have the lap band, but all of them except one has had a revision to the sleeve. I knew that our insurance paid for the procedure and that there is usually no waiting period. I have not REALLY told my husband anything about the surgery—at least not any details. As I get closer to my date (January 13, 2014), I will tell him a little more

What Have I Done?
So far, I have attended the seminar where I met my surgeon and his entire team. I am using the same surgeon that my friend used. Everything she said about him is correct! He’s personable, he makes you feel that he’s in this fight with you, he is very reassuring, as is his entire team. I’ve set up all of my appointments.

I had my first meeting with the surgeon on 10/28, and he gave me a surgery date then! Woo hoo! I’m fat, but apparently not fat enough because he said that I need to be 5’4 for my insurance instead of 5’5. I told him “well, I guess I’m 5’4 then!

Today, 11/6, I meet with the nutritionist for my first appointment. Tomorrow, I have my psych eval, and Friday 11/8 I have my gastro eval. The following Monday 11/11, I see the pulmonologist, and on 11/18 I see the Cardiologist.
That’s it for now!
Kathy

Submit "Getting Started" to Digg Submit "Getting Started" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting Started" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting Started" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great idea to chronicle it all! LOL about being 5'4! Whatever works! With the holidays and all your appointments, January 13th will be here before you know it!
    Hello I Live in nj also where are u In nj I'm in vineland nj
    When u said u have not REALLY told ur husband abt the surgery, does he know ur havin it? If he does hasn't he asked any questions abt it? I think u should talk 2 him abt it.

Im not tryin 2 b a Debbie Downer but hes ur hubby and he needs 2 know what ur gonna go thru. Besides that, ur gonna need his help after ur surgery...just my thoughts.

I think making a journal is a great idea! Good luck 2 u
    Take before pictures and set aside one outfit for comparison 6 months post. You will be amazed. Good Luck with your journey. God Bless...mem
    Thank you all so much for your comments!
    Kim, I figure I'm in everyone else's business, they can be in mine for a change! LOL
    Ranisha, I live in Roselle!
    Thisis4Me, my hubby is not a blood and guts guy. He will not want to hear anything about surgery. I think that he will support the effort, but he's not going to want to hear anything about surgery. I am going to tell him that I am having a "procedure." I definitely plan on telling him, but its too early for him to go into histronics. That's why I figure that I will wait until it gets closer to my surgery date. He will be supportive, but I don't think he needs to know the particulars right now.
    Mem, that's a great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenson
    Thank you all so much for your comments!
    Kim, I figure I'm in everyone else's business, they can be in mine for a change! LOL
    Ranisha, I live in Roselle!
    Thisis4Me, my hubby is not a blood and guts guy. He will not want to hear anything about surgery. I think that he will support the effort, but he's not going to want to hear anything about surgery. I am going to tell him that I am having a "procedure." I definitely plan on telling him, but its too early for him to go into histronics. That's why I figure that I will wait until it gets closer to my surgery date. He will be supportive, but I don't think he needs to know the particulars right now.
    Mem, that's a great idea!
    I def understand abt not bein a blood n guts guy! I didn't mean 2 offend u, its just that ur gonna b goin thru a lot and need help. Like I said those were just my thoughts, u know ur hubby best and what he can handle or not. Good luck 2 u and plz keep us posted
    ThisIs4Me, I definitely did not get offended at all. I actually told hubby about everything today since I had my psych eval and my gastro tomorrow, I felt I better let him know why I'm in and out of the house! He was very supportive--but I'm sure the questions will be coming!