Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

earlingtongirl

question to veteran sleevers.......meat, eggs, salad??????

Rate this Entry
I am 7 wks post surgery and still having problem eating meats, eggs and salad without stomach pain. My nut said my much smaller stomach produces less acid beneficial for breaking down foods, especially meats. My question is....is this my "new norm" or is it just too early yet? I'd like to hear abt experiences from veteran sleevers please? Will this improve w/ time?

Submit "question to veteran sleevers.......meat, eggs, salad??????" to Digg Submit "question to veteran sleevers.......meat, eggs, salad??????" to del.icio.us Submit "question to veteran sleevers.......meat, eggs, salad??????" to StumbleUpon Submit "question to veteran sleevers.......meat, eggs, salad??????" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes it will improve for sure. I am one week shy of my one year anniversary. I love barbecue steak and Caesar salads with shrimp or chicken are also a favourite. I eat eggs at least 3 times per week.....Usually over easy or omelet style. The first time I tried an egg I could only tolerate a couple small bites. All the best.
    Chew everything thoroughly and take your time eating, don't rush...it makes your tummy upset. Listen for the signal that your stomach has enough.
    Too early to tell. i am over a year post-sleeve and can eat salads and egg. meats are tricky still. but everyone reacts different.
    I just hit 3 months on Monday and got clearance today for salads and steaks.... YAY! depending on what types of lettuce you are eating, it may be too early. As for the meats......the tougher the meat, the harder it is going to be to eat, even later on. be kind to yourself and don't push before the surgeon releases you to certain categories.
    Im a year out and I still cant tolerate much meat. I don't really eat much salad either. I can tolerate 1 egg but that's it. Good luck hon
    they say everyone is different, but you can try one thing now and not work, they said give it some time and maybe try again.
    Ground meats first. make it easy on your tummy. i couldn't do much salad until recently (5-6 months from surgery) and i craved them at first. Probably because it was spring and fresh veggies were everywhere. eggs are still tricky for me. 1 only and it makes me gassy. Everyone is different, so just do what feels right to you.
    I am 3 weeks out and I am not able to get the meat down either along with other foods. I was told it will get better but is very frustrating. My belly is always hungry I eat a little of what is tolerated and the hunger goes away for a short time. I am on acid reflex meds and it does help a little. I feel like I have to burp but it just will not happen. I tend to eat quickly but learning to show down. I also read that maybe the acid has something to do with the feeling of hunger all the time. Going back to work next week and I am concerned. Any input would be appreciated.
    I am 9 months out and still can't tolerate chicken or pork. Fish goes down easily. Can eat salads but really have to be careful of dressing. My ability to eat more is just happening now. My nut said to try meats with barbecue or sauce as it makes it moist and easier to get down. God Bless...Mem
    I was actually released to regular diet at 1 month checkup. However, I just know to take it easy and introduce new things sparingly. I have noticed chicken sets better than pork or beef. Tuna does not agree well at all but tilapia is okay. A salad has sounded delicious but didn't set well. Prob just too soon and even if I can never tolerate them again, this surgery is so worth it. Just trying to guage what to expect. Thank you for all your comments. It's nice to have others out there sharing their experiences.
    everyone is different. but i have zero tolerance issues with meat or eggs or any other food EXCEPT salads. and i do enjoy salads but they are a "be careful" food for me. w/ salad i don't get the stop signal like i do with heavier foods so i eat more than i should and then after the fact i feel sort of icky. so now i know to eat a cup or less and just know that im not going to get a stop signal (before it's too late). you'll hear people talk about their signals-some people just get a feeling of fullness; some get a mild pain; some get a runny nose (weird but it's mentioned over and over) ; some people's eyes get teary. whatever your signal is, i suggest you stop there bc you can probably eat several more bites after that but if you stop @ first signal you are more likely to avoid pain, nausea, chest pain and god forbid, vomiting. and also less food is less calories which is sort of the point with our new tool : ) just a thought. you may accidentally be eating slightly more than your pouch would like and interpreting that as intolerance to a particular food (pls forgive me if that's incorrect assumption.) good luck -gordita.
    and you know that old riddle kids would ask each other "what weighs more? a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?" and of course they both weigh the same. BUT all foods do not sit on tummy the same. a 1/3 cup of meat gives me a way stronger signal than a 1/3 cup of applesauce. so just keep that in mind when you're trying to figure out your new portions. i can comfortably eat a cup of rice with meat mixed in (im puerto rican by marriage ; ) , but i can only eat 1/5 of a footlong sandwich on crusty bread. dif things just sit differently but you'll figure it out as you go. best of luck!! -gordita