Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Misscole0014

I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat.....

Rate this Entry
That was my motto: I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat.....

For any of you teachers out there, will understand what I am going to say next... Education today sucks. The new Common Core standards, Teacher Eval., and everything else in teaching today just sucks. There are tooo many changes happening at one time and it is very stressful, not to mention, I am putting in 50-60 hour work weeks.

Stress... what does it do to us? It "eats" us alive in many aspects. It affects everyone different. For me, I used to eat my way through stress and depression. As I am sure many of you did to. Depression is a vicious cycle. If you have ever dealt with it, you know what I mean.

Winter is the worst for me, I would (and am hoping it is different this year) be depressed all winter long. I'd eat and eat. I would plan on what I would comfort me that night. I would think, I can eat this, it doesn't matter, I am already fat or I can eat this in because (insert a time frame - next Monday) I am starting a diet or start working out, etc. I was constantly on a diet. I lived on a diet. Night time would come and I'd be off it...Oh, I eat so well today, I can have this tonight. The excuses came and I believed them.... I made every excuse to give me the reason to eat.

With all the stress I've had lately,the old we would have eaten everything I could to comfort the stress, make me feel better, which it never did. Misery loves company and that is what "crappy" foods make me feel- miserable....and then I'd become depressed and eat and become more depressed and eat more, and it would continue. Bringing me to my motto: I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat.....

Recently, I was talking on the phone to a teacher friend, she said to me. "I am going to go and take a bath. Then asked What do you do when you are stressed?" I sat there for a minute and thought. Nothing? What do I do? Surf the net and play mindless games... You know that not once did I think of food as the answer. It wasn't until later when I was in bed thinking about - what do I do when I am stressed, did I remember that food was ONCE the answer. I was so delighted that that wasn't an instant option for me. Not any more.... I have learned that eating doesn't cure anything except hunger. And I am hoping that the new me continues with this... and I am wishing else who is (was) fat b/c they are depressed and depressed b/c they are fat that their cycle leaves them to.....

Submit "I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat....." to Digg Submit "I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat....." to del.icio.us Submit "I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat....." to StumbleUpon Submit "I'm fat because I depressed and I am depressed because I am fat....." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh.... it's as if you wrote the post using my life story... Lol! I use food for comfort many times especially when stress/depression is involved .. I been working on letting that bad habit go and I hope it never returns after surgery.... I am trying to keep busy and not have anytime for those emotions.... So happy for you that you are no longer dealing with that battle.... as I know the battle far to well... Best wishes on your journey!
    I believe that is the case for so many of us. I felt like that was me you were talking about also! But now it is different. I am not saying that I dont have the " I want that. Just a little wont hurt" BUT I already did that once and felt so guilty ! That one incident helps me through these moments for now because I felt so stuffed and yuck and the GUILT added to it made me feel horrible! Best of luck to you
    Beautifully stated. Thank you.
    Teaching today is just nuts. I'm 57 and see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I have to wonder how many young teachers will stick it out till retirement?
    I like ur motto, how true it is
    I am a teacher as well, and you are so right--the new teaching evaluation system has everyone up in arms, in addition trying to teach your classes and all that comes with that is really a challenge. Like sraebaer, I wonder how many of the younger teachers will stick it out. It is not an easy profession and not for the faint at heart.
    Question is, why are you depressed? What is the core issue? Also, for me, a good rule of thumb is, find out what happened within 12 months of you gaining your most weight. I think that's a real eye opener for some

Best of luck,
    Many of us find comfort in food. The food industry doesnt help by labeling certain things as "comfort" food.

I have adopted a new motto: "eat to live, dont live to eat".