Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cooperzmom

Still Many Questions

Rate this Entry
OK, so I had my 1st appointment with the surgeon. I like him and he seemed to be really excited that I never had any other surgeries. I'm the artists' blank canvass I guess! He gave me a list of things to get done and told me the quicker I get them done, the quicker I get the surgery.

One of the things I had to do is contact insurance to see if I need to participate in a 6 month MD supervised diet. I called insurance and all they would say is I can have the surgery if it's medicallly necessary. I told them it is and my primary care phy already wrote the letter saying it is. Their response to that...yup, you guessed it..."It's covered if it's medically necessary". So I guess that means insurance will cover it without the 6 month MD guided diet? Who knows at this point.

I just finished with the Psychiatrist. That was a joke. Very superficial questioning about my eating habits then a test about illness and spirituality. I went back the next week for the test results, that took 15 minutes. He said I passed and that the insurance required this step in the process.

I had my EKG, bloodwork, and do not need a sleep study since I do not have sleep apnea. The only thing I need to do is have an endoscopy done but the surgeon wants that closer to my surgery date.

Lastly I need to lose 5% of my current bodyweight. I'm having problems with this. I mean really, this is why I'm having the surgery in the first place. I did not meet with the nutritionist at my first visit because she was on vacation that week. I meet with her on the 21st at my next surgeon's appointment. I'll get a feel from them about the weightloss prior to surgery. Here's what I'm thinking...I can lose the weight by doing something like Medifast for a few weeks but will that really help me out on the the other side? Am I supposed to be learning how to eat healthy now before the surgery to ensure success post op? I think I would be doing myself a disservice by doing Medifast just to lose the weight. Has anyone found out, is that 5% weight loss really about losing the weight or is it about developing healthy habits to ensure success post sleeve?

I was hoping to get a surgery date at the 10/21 appt but according to the psychologist they usually schedule the surgery at the 3rd appointment. I was hoping to have it done by Christmas. Oh well, time will tell!

Submit "Still Many Questions" to Digg Submit "Still Many Questions" to del.icio.us Submit "Still Many Questions" to StumbleUpon Submit "Still Many Questions" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The pre-op diet is mainly to shrink ur liver for surgery so it is out of the surgeons way. Other things may also happen: wt loss, mentally prepare u for after surgery and sugar detox to name a few. Good luck 2 u, keep us posted on ur journey
    I was told it's to shrink your liver and make surgery easier. Also, I tried to think of it as a detox process. That helped.