Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Helena

Exercise

Rate this Entry
I'm two and a half weeks out from my sleeve surgery. I know I'm supposed to be walking every day but I don't seem to find the motivation. Does it come later as I get thinner and lighter or should I spend the money on a trainer to obligate me even when I'm too tired? Has anybody been in this situation?

Submit "Exercise" to Digg Submit "Exercise" to del.icio.us Submit "Exercise" to StumbleUpon Submit "Exercise" to Google

Comments

You wont ever get thin, if you don't exercise. It goes hand in hand-

The more you lose now, the easier your recovery will be-
    Yes so true speed racer, you need to get a positive support system now. This helps, think of why you had surgery adn where you want to be. You need to push through it, we are here to help and have been down that road. Don't push yourself too hard, know your limits and find a balance with your self......Please do....
    You will gain more energy as you lose and heal. I don't necessarily go out for walks in the neighborhood. I drive to Boston or Providence to new places and walk around. around I find that to be a great motivator. Some days I walk on a beach. I change it up so I'm not bored.
    I would agree with your suggestion that you get a trainer at your local gym. Interview them and find a god fit that will push you but also understand where you are starting from. If you can afford it, go with a trainer 3x's a week for 30 minutes each time. It builds up a routine and consistency. Try to go 2 x's a week in addition. Start small and it will grow with time.
    Take your time, I didn't jump right into walking miles and going to the gym until my body healed and I felt like I could manage doing them without passing out. While I agree with speed racer, I also know that everyone goes at their same pace. Heal first.
    You might just have to make yourself walk the first time. Walk down the street and back (it does not have to be very far) , Park at the end of the lot at the grocery store, go to the mall. What ever it takes to get started. You might be surprised how you feel just getting out. I am a month out and every time I walk I add on a couple of houses. Baby steps... that's all you need to get started.
    I exercised 4-5 days a week the entire time I was pre sleeve for years but was so lethargic immediately post op that I went weeks without even taking a walk. Immediately upon returning to work I got back on sched and now and do five days a week cardio and weights ( i didnt do weights preop. only cardio). It is 100 % the right thing to do -exercising during recovery- good for your heart, your fat, your energy , your mood etc. but if is taking a bit to get motivated dont add guilt to your recovery woes. Maybe give yourself a promise to start by a certain date deadline and then stick to it..