Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Dair67

Welcome to my Journey!

Rate this Entry
My story is not unlike many of you here on these boards. I was a chubby child, an overweight teenager and after the births of my two children, well lets just say I somehow forgot to take care of myself and my own health. And here I am today, Morbidly obese....man I hate those words. My knees hurt, my back hurts, my self esteem is non existent...sound familiar???

I was on a waiting list in Canada some 10 years ago for gastric bypass surgery, but chickened out. The thought of malnutrition to lose weight was just to scary and obviously, I was just not ready yet.

Fast forward 10 years, and my baby sister announces that she is going to Mexico for the VGS procedure. She was going by herself, but I couldn't let her do that. Still I was not ready to jump in and have the surgery at the same time. So I went with her. That was in May, she is doing fabulous and loves her sleeve. She warns me that it has not been easy but worth every ounce lost!!!

Well here I am 4 months later, and I have made my appointment for November 11th. I am excited and scared all at the same time. As much as I hate how I feel everyday, I still LOVE food. It is going to be tough, but like many of you here, I have to do this for the sake of my health and my family. I spent all of my children's childhoods overweight and self conscious and as much as I wish I could go back and change that, I guess we will all have to settle with me being healthier from here on in. Bring on the Grandchildren!!! I want to be able to get down on the floor and play with them and spoil them....just don't tell my kids that part

I have been following the forums and blogs for a couple of days now and it is so encouraging to watch the successes and know that others feel exactly how I feel today. Thank you for coming along on my journey and allowing me to come along on yours!!!

Submit "Welcome to my Journey!" to Digg Submit "Welcome to my Journey!" to del.icio.us Submit "Welcome to my Journey!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Welcome to my Journey!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome to the forum, chk arnd on here, u will find all kinds of very nice, very helpful ppl on here all willing to share stories and advice!
    Welcome and good luck! I recognize myself in what you wrote... my child had a fat mother his whole childhood. Wish I could go back and change that, but no can do. Oh well, upward and onward, right?!
    I think it is awesome that you have discovered you are ready to do this for yourself! I love food, too, the beautiful part of this procedure is that we don't necessarily have to say goodbye to the food we love forever, we just have to work our way through the process and figure out how to enjoy the FLAVORS we love in healthier, smaller portions. Just today I was thinking about the delightfulness of buffalo chicken and created a recipe for a buffalo chicken soup I will try out later this week once I get released to one more stage that will allow me to have the ingredients I need to make it with. I looked up some recipes on line and saw they had heavy cream in them or velveeta cheese in them and thought I can do so much better and still capture the FLAVOR I desire.

Welcome to this forum and best wishes to you! =)
    Welcome and congrats that you're taking this step! Good luck on your journey!
    Thank you all for your kind words! I am encouraged by your successes. Its a journey that not everyone can understand and it feels good to know I am in a place where people understand where it comes from!
    That is good that you will have your sister for support who has already had VGS!