Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ThisIs4Me

Psoriasis

Rate this Entry
Does anyone here have psoriasis? If so and u have had sleeve surgery, does the weight loss affect ur psoriasis...worse/better? I have been told a diet low in sugar helps psoriasis. Any thoughts or comments?

Submit "Psoriasis" to Digg Submit "Psoriasis" to del.icio.us Submit "Psoriasis" to StumbleUpon Submit "Psoriasis" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Mine is much much better.
    I have psoriasis on my left leg. I have not had surgery yet, but i am praying it gets better after surgery.
    I used to use steroid creams and every so often had to go on steroid pills or shots to get my skin conditions under control. I would get rashes on my lower arms and behind my knees on a very frequent basis. The post sleeve diet low in carbs and sugars has been very helpful for my skin and now anytime something comes up, which is very rare, I am able to control it with aveeno oatmeal lotion. I think about two months after surgery is when I noticed that I hadn't had to use my steroid cream for several weeks.
    GA400 what shots are you taking? I have a few spots on my elbows, I use cream for 7 days a week, keeps it under control, but its annoying, Id prefer a shot, But everytime I see a commercial its like "this will cure psoriasis, but may cause kidney disease, and kill you in 4 years" LOL < No thanks!
    Thanks for the info guys GA400, I am prescribed topicals and use the "tanning booth" at the Dermatologist office, its actually called Narrow Band treatment but its just high powered uv bulbs like a tanning booth that my ins pays for 100% I also use either eucerin lotion or cerave lotion/cream. Heres to hoping we all get cleared up!
    Speedracer - the shots were steroids that I got at my dermatologist office, they would usually follow that up with a regimen of steroid pills that started out with stronger dose then tapered off so I didn't crash.

If you use prescription steroid creams, be careful. I used strong steroid creams for so long on my right hand that I no longer have any fingerprints on that hand. That was hard to explain when I had to get fingerprinted for my weapons permit . Also when I do any work in the yard or use hand tools to do handyman type work, I have to use gloves as my skin is now so thin.
    I have a very mild case of it, thankfully. My issue is psoriatic arthritis, which is very painful and when flaring, dibilitating. I had to go off of my anti-inflammatory medicines a week before surgery and it's been 5 weeks that I'm off of it now. It hasn't seemed to affect my adversely. Maybe it's the healthy eating, maybe it's the lose of weight or both. I'm feeling better over all and haven't really noticed any skin flares of much consequence lately. All good news!!!
    This is interesting, because I just came to a realization about 2 weeks ago. With all the changes and adjustments we have to go through after surgery (mine was May 6, 2013), some things go unnoticed for awhile. I had bad psoriasis on my heels and scalp for the past 6-7 years. Sometimes it would flare up on my knees too. Since surgery I have not had any issues with it. I believe that cutting out all the white food, fried foods, and most sugar has kept it under control. I have never tried a complete diet change to help with the psoriasis before and after surgery I had no choice. This is the only time in my life that I've cut out those specific foods and seen positive results with flare ups. I had used prescribed steroids as well as OTC topicals. I'm fairly certain that the change in my diet has seriously helped with the psoriasis.
    Glad someone asked this as I am a sufferer of psoriasis. I thought about this but never thought to ask. :-) I will be sleeved in the next few weeks and look forward to seeing if it helps. Speed, I have used Enbrel, stelara and remicade. Everyone reacts differently to each drug. Enbrel helped tremendously with my knee pain but not so much my psoriasis. When I first started using it like 8 years ago it worked, but I stopped and the went back and it never worked the same. I swear it is what caused all my recent sinus and respiratory issues that I had to have surgery for. Remicade worked amazingly at first. Started clearing me up within days! But I ended up being allergic to it which is no fun and my infusions were lasting 5 hours or so. Stelara was ok...helped keep it from getting out of control but wasn't great.

I hope this info was useful. There is a laser treatment that you can get that works really well. My dad had it done and it was great. I looked into it but it was too expensive for me with my insurance. My Out of pocket was a lot.