Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

doxie

Sleeves Done in Mexico

Rate this Entry
I am just wonder what folks do for pre-op preparation and post-op follow-up care when they have their procedures done in Mexico. I had my procedure done in my town of Houston, Texas and had to do a year of weight management classes before my insurance would approve the procedure. Those classes were invaluable and the facility that handled my procedure (Texas Laparoscopic Consultants) is great for any problems I may encounter. But I was wondering what a person does if they have the procedure done outside of the country and have problems afterward when it is done and they are back home.

My procedure went so well, the hospital where I had it done was fantastic (Park Plaza in Houston) and so far I have had no major problems at all! Thanks be to God!

My sister-in-law met a woman whose sister had the procedure done in Mexico about the same time that I had mine, and said she was suffering from all kinds of issues...still laid up on the sofa after a couple of weeks. I was back to work in one week. What do people with this problem do for follow-up care?

Submit "Sleeves Done in Mexico" to Digg Submit "Sleeves Done in Mexico" to del.icio.us Submit "Sleeves Done in Mexico" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sleeves Done in Mexico" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Who was your sisters dr in Mexico? What problems has she had?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspencer
    Who was your sisters dr in Mexico? What problems has she had?
    I don't know the doctor she used. My sister-in-law only spoke to the sister of the woman who had the procedure done there.
    Choosing a good doctor makes the difference. Also how we tolerate certain things is how we recover. I had mine done in Mexico with Dr. Ramos-Kelly and had no complications. Had the surgery on a Tuesday went back to work the Monday. He gave me my records of the procedure, my chest x-ray, and my leak test x-ray. I followed his instructions for the pre-op diet, had the surgery, and am following the post-op diet. I'm one month out. I've lost 13 lbs now. I've had a stall for over 2 weeks and had to increase my calories, eating more times a day, protein, and water to begin losing again. Sounds crazy but I didn't want to eat in fear I would not lose weight but now I make myself. I will be following up with my primary care doctor at my 6 week marker for lab work to make sure my levels are fine. I did a ton of research and continue learning as I go through my stages. If your friend is laying on the couch she needs to get up and start walking. If she is having trouble eating due to soar stomach she needs to take the antacid med they gave her, take in the required protein first daily and plenty of water. She has to get up and get moving to begin to feel better. People experience depression as they adjust so maybe she is experiencing this. There are a lot of support groups online with a ton of good advice. Hope this helps.
    I know a doctor on the North side of Houston (1960 area) that takes care of patients that have had the procedure done out of the county. Private message me if you like.
    Had mine in mexico and zero pain.. Zero complications.. Best choice for me finacially. I firmly believe that we all would do it in US of we had insurance or enough money. But for those who dont Mexico is JUST AS GOOD! Plus the docs in Mexico seem to have way more experience as they do many more patients per day. unfortunately follow up care is basically just footing the bill for doctor visits and paying full price for testing.. If you can pay for it just about any doc will do check ups on you afterwards. I called a number of places in my area and they all were willing to do follow up care to the tune of 300 per office visit and thousands just for blood work and ultrasounds and xrays! i for one havent had anyone see me since i left mexico and havent needed it either. I feel wonderful every single day!
    I have also had my surgery done in Mexico and am doing wonderful. Best decision I ever made. My primary care doctor has no problems doing my labs for me and I will be going to my appt. with him in a few more weeks to make sure labs are ok. After care in the states is possible if you are getting surgery done in Mexico. I guess it depends on your doctor.
    My Primary Care Physician will be following me post-op. She has the list of labs recommended by my Surgeon. I scheduled an appointment 6 weeks out. She'll be so pleased to see how well I'm doing. I've got some questions regarding the hiatal hernia repair, but my new little sleeve is working just fine.