Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

LadyA

1 Year Out!

Rate this Entry

Well this time last year I was at Shawnee Mission Medical Center groggy as all get out. I started my weight loss journey at 396lbs in Sept 2011. I went through a lot personally and financially and I turned to food for comfort. I became a BIG sussie homemaker... lol. I didn't realize how big I had gotten until it wouldn't register on a scale at Walgreens. I kept getting dizzy and having hot flashes. I found out that due to all the weight I had put on my blood sugar was low. And for many of people that is the begining stages of diabetes.

I went to see Dr. Smolen she perscribed me phentermine. My body had a hard time adjusting to phentermine, I was constipated, back aches, heart palpatations, mood swings, you name it... I went from 396 to 360 before I finally stopped taking those pills due to all the side effects. (Around Dec 2011) Jan 2012 I went to a seminar at KC Bariatric and chose Dr. Hoehn to be my surgeon. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet (3 month's were from Dr. Smolen), a psychiatric clearence, a EGD scope, and a nutrition class on living after the surgery.

July 2012 I weighed 378 (yes I put back on weight after I stopped taking phentermine). As a insurance requirement you can't be over 350 the day of surgery so I had one month to drop 28lbs!!! YIKES! But I did it with protein shakes and soup for a month. The day of surgery I was 347! With ton's of stalls and a few back slides today I am at 244. My goal is to be at 200. Yes I still have a ways to go but when I see where I cam from I am glad I am where I am.

This journey has had it's up's and down's but WAY more UPS! I wish I could eat salad (my new tummy doesn't like it) and spicy food is now a BIG NO NO! I did give up pasta, and rice except for every blue moon. I also gave up beef and pork. I learned to say NO to carbonated drinks! I have definately made some significant changes since I started this journey.

I am still only eating small portions. I was afraid that my stomach would streatch but rest assured that I still can't eat more than 1 cup of food and that's only if it's soft. If it's a solid like meat I can eat about 6oz.

I had a vitamin deficency of B1 (I was becoming dizzy again) thought I had developed high blood pressure after surgery... I now take a B-Complex vitamin, Biotin(for hair loss around my edges), a multi vitamin, and Iron glucconate(my iron was low before surgery). When I first found out I was low on B1 I took B1 pills and it actually kick started my weight loss again.

I have also learned that I am a mental eater. I want to eat so I eat instead of being hungry when I eat. I have a decent handle over it now but not perfect. Some times I fall short but I am human!

Do I regret the sleeve? NO, I wish my insurance at my old job would have covered it. I would have had it sooner! If you are considering this surgery I HIGHLY recommend it!

Even though I am not done with my journey yet I am close to the finish line!

Have a Blessed Day! I am!!!

Submit "1 Year Out!" to Digg Submit "1 Year Out!" to del.icio.us Submit "1 Year Out!" to StumbleUpon Submit "1 Year Out!" to Google

Comments

I love this blog! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. You've really rocked the sleeve!
    Good for you!!! 😀
    That's awesome! Good job!
    wonderful! Your story is inspiring.. I am following along behind you.. please keep us updated.. you seem very happy.. and healthy.. is what we all are striving for. ~sending positive prayers~
    Congrats on your accomplishments to date. Keep it up!
    You are doing wonderfully! Such an inspiration!!! Congratulations on your success!
    Way to go and thanks for sharing your journey with us
    Thank you so much for sharing your story...I'm form KC too!
    Congratulations, keep up the great job. Thanks for sharing your story!
    Isn't it humbling when you look back to where you were a year ago? How nothing you did prior to the surgery looked all that bad....but then you had the surgery and you noticed how much you did eat before the surgery. How you ate for all the wrong reasons. Instead of dealing with the issues that plaqued you, you ate to cover them up.
    Now we have no choice but to face our demons and figure out what is going on with our insides that make us eat way too much food. I don't regret the choice I made to have the surgery. I just regret that I didn't do it sooner. Good Bless and continued success!
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey! Congratulations on your success!
    Beautiful testimony of how much you've changed (and not just the physical) over this past year. Here's wishing you mch continued success as you complete your journey to a new and healthier you!