Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Mandy's Medley

Weird things that bother my pouch

Rate this Entry
I have discovered that this pouch of mine can be pretty ornery at times. I love tomatoes and eat them often, but sometimes they bother me something fierce. I couldn't put my finger on it till one day I noticed the difference. I was fine as long as they were peeled! If the tomato was unpeeled, it would bother my stomach for about 20 mins after eating it, but if I peeled it, it wouldn't bother me at all. The same can be said for peaches. Without the skin they are fine, but with the skin I'm miserable. I also can't really tolerate grapes, and after this revelation, I bet dollars to donuts it's because of their peel. I wonder why this is? Has anyone else had this issue?

Submit "Weird things that bother my pouch" to Digg Submit "Weird things that bother my pouch" to del.icio.us Submit "Weird things that bother my pouch" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weird things that bother my pouch" to Google

Comments

The skins of fruits and veggies are harder for your stomach to digest than the "meat" itself.
    It doesn't bother my stomach (although I'm not eating food yet) but my husband had an intolerance to skins, seeds, and nuts. He has colitis and it would bother his colon a lot. The way we got around it was by using processed tomatoes. The processing makes the skin and seeds soft. As for fruit, he just avoided the skins and seeds of fresh fruits.
    I saw my NUT today and...yes, it's the skin! I'm day 17 post op. She said I can start eating soft fruits bananas, kiwi,melon, papaya, mango, raspberries, strawberries and PEELED apricot, nectarine, peach, plum, or tomato.
    Be sure to wash your fruits and vegi's too! There is so much chemical/spray/fertilizer/pesticides on fruit and vegi's nowadays. Wash wash wash
    After surgery there is less stomach acid to breakdown "skins" and "seeds", so until your stomach is completely healed. My nut suggested that I wait until 16 weeks post op or longer to have skins or seeds.

Check with your nut to see what they suggest...

Wishing you much luck and success!!!