Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

bejeweled

Tables Turned on The Doctor or Have You Had A Doctor That Treated You Badly Due To Your Weight?

Rate this Entry
An interesting article from a speech given at Ted by a doctor apologizing for how he treated an obese patient:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...g-forgiveness/

Submit "Tables Turned on The Doctor or Have You Had A Doctor That Treated You Badly Due To Your Weight?" to Digg Submit "Tables Turned on The Doctor or Have You Had A Doctor That Treated You Badly Due To Your Weight?" to del.icio.us Submit "Tables Turned on The Doctor or Have You Had A Doctor That Treated You Badly Due To Your Weight?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tables Turned on The Doctor or Have You Had A Doctor That Treated You Badly Due To Your Weight?" to Google

Comments

I have diabetic neuropathy in my legs and feet. I had to go to the ER one night and the doctor only kept saying: "You're too fat. You're too fat and you need to stop eating." I was in so much pain I wanted to kick him!
    I despise doctors like this and truly want to slap them left and right across the room. We must eat to live so you can't avoid like drugs, nicotine or alcohol. Yes, we need to lose some but be a doctor and give us some medical guidance (you know like nutritional counseling, referrals to exercise or physical therapists and nutritionists, work out a possible plan to change our diet and exercise routine), you know what we pay YOU to do for us.
    Wow! Interesting article indeed! Years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer and needed surgery and chemo. My doctor was a highly regarded oncologist from Yale. She was a great surgeon but had horrible "bedside manner"! She made comments about my weight and told me that she would have to use different "tools" for my surgery. She has sinced moved elsewhere but I feel bad for the other people (and myself) that have to be belittled by this woman.
    While suffering infertility, my husband and I went to a doctor in NYC. This doctor could not have been more judgmental. He assumed my infertility was due to my weight. He did not believe me when I told him you could set a clock by my period and that I did conceive 3 times naturally but miscarried. Once we got out of there and back to the train station, I huddled in a corner and balled my eyes out and my husband felt so helpless. Thinking about this again makes me want to go punch him in the face. I wish I could have told him to F#*@ off but I was feeling desperate at the time.
    One of my doctors YEARS ago was a jerk. If I went to him for treatment of a throat infection or to have stitches out of my hand, it was because I was fat. Not to mention that he was selling weight loss products. He finally lost his license due to other infractions, but I was happy to see him kicked out of patients lives!!!!
    I got a bunch of tests from a midwife for PCOS and when the results were in, I had to get them from one of the doctors in the office. I walked in and sat down, he never even opened my file, just looked at me and said "Lose 100 lbs and then come back and see me". I stood up, slammed my hands on his desk, leaned forward, and told him to screw off, I would find a new doctor, and left. That was the only doctor I ever felt treated me bad simply because of my weight. Thankfully I've never felt that way since because I would make such a stink about it if I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by aanderson
    I got a bunch of tests from a midwife for PCOS and when the results were in, I had to get them from one of the doctors in the office. I walked in and sat down, he never even opened my file, just looked at me and said "Lose 100 lbs and then come back and see me". I stood up, slammed my hands on his desk, leaned forward, and told him to screw off, I would find a new doctor, and left. That was the only doctor I ever felt treated me bad simply because of my weight. Thankfully I've never felt that way since because I would make such a stink about it if I did.
    He should have his license pulled! When test results come in you, review them with your patient - noting the good parts and the bad parts and provide either praise or encouragement/assistance as needed. I am glad that you went to find a new doctor!