Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

mytime2013

Returning to work??

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone, how long after your surgery did you return to work? I have been toying with this question for some time. I have recovered well in the past from surgery (even majors). I work in an office with plenty of freedom to sit, walk around or even if I need to lay down. (I know, it's a good job). What do you think??

Submit "Returning to work??" to Digg Submit "Returning to work??" to del.icio.us Submit "Returning to work??" to StumbleUpon Submit "Returning to work??" to Google

Comments

I've been off for about three weeks and planning to go back to work on Aug 5th. When I left the papers at the my doctor's clinic for FLMA....the released me after 4, but I'm already down on sick time so had to call them to change it and they said it will be with restrictions, mostly lifting, but I'll be at a desk anyways. Some people go back a week later, some take 4 weeks off, it all depends on the person and their situation.
    I had my surgery on Tuesday, May 21st and returned to work the following Tuesday, May 28th. I have a desk job, so one week was PLENTY of time! If you do a lot of moving around, you might want to take more time. Everyone is different, but I think taking 4 weeks is extreme!
    i also have a "freedom" desk job and went back after 1 week. I was really tired during weeks 2-3, but I managed just fine
    I went back to work after 2 weeks to a desk job. I wish I had taken 3rd week off. I was pretty weak tired that 1st week back.
    I took 4.5 weeks - 3 weeks of sick and 1.5 of vacation. Since I was running back and forth to various doctors' (primary care physician, bariatric surgeon, cardiologist, er doctor), it was good thing that I did. If you have paid leave, try to take 2 weeks with an option of taking more if needed or see if you can do work from home if your job can do that or maybe part time work.
    I have a desk job and I was sleeved on 7/22 and returned to work on 7/29. I was a little sore but today Im probably back up to 98% of my old self!!! I feel great!!!
    Ha! I'm loving my time off. Re pain or complications I could have gone back first Monday after surg. BUT you will have some odd digestive stuff going on (liquid shi*) in early weeks that you may not want coworkers hearing (yes, hearing) or smelling and you may want to nap a lot. Like a couple hours a day. So take as much as you have paid off IMO. You are still healing no matter how great you feel. ALSO it takes a lot of focus to get all your liquid/nutrition and vitamins (and any prescriptions) in before end of day. I've been shocked at How easy it is to get distracted when I have no physical sensation of hunger to get behind on nutrition/rx. Too many days of that could equal hospital for dehydration. Also it changes wk to wk. felt very energetic last week but just took FIVE HR nap today and still feel lethargic. go figure. Just my vote! Good luck no matter what you decide.
    Thank you all for your comments. I guess it just depends on the person and I am hoping that I will be able to return after one week. I also teach at a local college from 6-8, I think I will take off from that for at lease two weeks. We will see!!